DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2009
New User

Exclamation FreeBSD 8.0 Network Performance

Hey All,

I just installed FreeBSD 8.0 on my home server and I noticed that since the install I have had reduced network performance. Before I did the move, I ran a ttcp test and then redid it after. Both installations were the same, same software and hardware and these are the results I got:

FreeBSD 7.2: 504.41 KB/s
FreeBSD 8.0: 273.17 KB/s

I have noticed that if I start streaming alot (Which worked fine on 7.2), the internet connection stalls. Its baffling me. I have talked to some of my IT Admin friends who have upgraded to FreeBSD 8.0 and in all cases they have noticed the exact same slowdown, but to varing degrees (One of my friends who runs a gigabit network was getting around 40 MB/s before and after was only getting around 20 MB/s so the performance decreate was by 50% ).

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anything I can do to fix it or should I revert back to 7.2?

Note: When I reinstalled, I whiped the drive clean and reinstalled. I didnt use CVS to update it.

Thanks,
Karl