DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2010
New User

Default Missing drive in /dev, but shows in dmesg

Hi, I have a big pile of 1U boxes that are getting OpenBSD and I have run into a weird problem that is probably easily explained by someone who is more current with OpenBSD than me!

I boot a 4.7 install CD (or tftp) and dmesg shows sd0 and sd1 -- the 2 32G Corsair SSDs I have -- and I usually like to dd them first thing:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0c bs=1024000

And this works fine for sd0, but /dev/rsd1c doesn't exist. In fact, nothing related to sd1 exists in /dev. But it was in the dmesg.

What am I missing? It's annoying to boot into a Debian rescue disc just to dd since it sees the drives as sda and sdb and can dd without any problems.

After the install, sd1 works fine and is used to complete a software RAID1 which goes off without a hitch. I don't think there are hardware problems.

Thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2010
Banned

OpenBSD doesn't have a dynamic devfs, the contents of /dev are generated by a script in the same directory (MAKEDEV), only a few devices have nodes created by default.

Simply create the device nodes yourself manually, the following should work:
# cd /dev; /bin/sh MAKEDEV sd1

It does seem strange to only have device files for a single sd(4) device, I'm not sure why that is the case.. is this OpenBSD/i386 or perhaps some other supported platform?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2010
More noise than signal

The ramdisk kernel does not have the complete set of devs, due to lack of RAM space. The install/upgrade scripts will MAKEDEV what is needed, but if you are doing something else with bsd.rd, best to create just the devices you need.

Another option can be found in my .sig, below.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th September 2010
New User

Thanks! Forgot about MAKEDEV. That works great and I can stop using my Debian CD to dd.

These are dual core 64bit Intel Atom machines with 2xSSDs (in software RAID1) and will be doing much OpenBSD based routing after seeing what Cisco wants for licenses. Pf rocks, as it has for at least a decade when I last used it, and the whole ipsec/openvpn setup is sweet. Got all my networks talking without even breaking a sweat.