DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th February 2012
Port Guard

Default Cursor skipping/freezing when rendering pages in Chromium

I recently install OpenBSD 5 on my laptop, and I like it - all my hardware works fine now, and it's quite snappy.

However, I've noticed that the cursor freezes every couple of seconds when rendering web pages in Chromium. This doesn't happen when I use Firefox; but for Chromium the cursor just *stops* every second or two, and mouse clicks don't register. Not horrible but kind of annoying when multitasking.

Does anyone know what causes this? I suspect Chromium is trying to do some hardware acceleration stuff and not quite succeeding, but if so I don't know how to turn that feature off.

BTW I have direct rendering disabled - it's badly bugged in 5.0 (and every other *BSD version I've tried), causing X to be sluggish and crash a lot on Intel chipsets. Fortunately disabling it doesn't seem to impact 2D performance, or if it does the impact is negligible.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2012
Arp Constable

I also notice similiar problems in the 5.0 release with the intel video driver -several xterms open and the mouse would freeze. I tried amd64 current, which had a more recent intel video driver, and the problems went away.
Quote:
Xenocara updates the intel(4) driver to a more recent version. (This is a prerequisite for Sandybridge support, but that is disabled for now.
I would be wary of jumping into current at this time though. I have noticed that there were a flurry of package releases in just the i386 port and that radeon driver had to be reverted.

Last edited by shep; 9th February 2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: malformed quote
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2012
Port Guard

I have was having similar issues with the omni bar and latency when typing, clearing my cache and my history only helped for a day or two then rinse and repeat, aside from setting the ulimit. Hope this gets issue gets a look over.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2012
Port Guard

Hmm? Which ulimit, the one on max open files?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2012
Arp Constable

There should have been a message at installation
Chromium Ulimit
I do not have Chromium but likely the message is also in
Code:
/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2012
Administrator

From pkg_info(1)

Code:
     -M      Show the install-message file (if any) for each package.