DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Old 12th July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
barti, I can only assume that you have two disks in your system..
One disk, wd0, per the dmesg. I assume barti meant that he wanted to mount one or more foreign partitions (NTFS, FAT), and did not articulate that clearly.
Quote:
The initial message in this thread asked about X & Gnome. We are limiting discussion to only these topics in this thread.
Heh. The initial discussion was a network connectivity issue, which I believe was self-resolved.
Old 12th July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Heh. The initial discussion was a network connectivity issue, which I believe was self-resolved.
Point made.

...which is also the reason we try to limit threads to a single discussion point. Mixing separate discussions together leads to a lot of confusion. Keeping discussion separate, distinct, & linear helps everyone follow what progress is occurring.

Last edited by ocicat; 12th July 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Add clarity.
Old 12th July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by barti View Post
It goes directly into X.

Not text mode.
It is not clear what this means. This could mean:
  1. The XDM Display Manager is started by rc(8) by having xdm_flags configured to something other than NO in /etc/rc.conf.local if you created the file, or /etc/rc.conf if you did not.
  2. The Gnome Display Manager was installed and you have enabled it in via the rc.d(8) subsystem, such as by adding it to the pkg_scripts variable in /etc/rc.conf.local or /etc/rc.conf.
  3. You are starting X via shell .profile or some other method.
Only you can determine which of these three things you have done. If it is a. or b., all you need to do is have a one line .xsession file in your home directory, as I already mentioned above. It performs the same function as a .xinitrc file when X is started manually. Again, if you need this:
Code:
$ echo exec gnome-session > ~/.xsession
Of course, you must have already installed gnome-session using pkg_add(1). Have you done this?

Your question on mounting foreign file systems -- if that is what it was -- is probably answered in FAQ 14.16. I recommend you read FAQ 14 in its entirety, as it will provide valuable context.
Old 12th July 2012
Shell Scout

Default still not clear what to do.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html#amd64i386
-------------------

An example of how a tutorial is not useful.
What file should I configure and how to remove X for starting automatically?

------------------------------
I never got things running from tutorials on openbsd.

sable the console getty(8) to use xdm(1).

11.5 - Customizing X
11.5.1 - Introduction
OpenBSD's default X environment is fully functional, but you may wish to customize it. You may wish to change the background pattern or color, or you may wish to change the Window Manager (the program that most defines your X environment), or change the applications that are started when X starts.

The default window manager in OpenBSD is fvwm(1). Fvwm is a good, general purpose window manager, but it is hardly your only choice; it isn't even the only window manager included with OpenBSD (see cwm(1) and twm(1)). A large number of window managers are also available through packages.

Similar to the system startup script, X has a process it goes through to set up the user environment. More accurately, it has more than one process; which process is used depends on how you start X. Understanding how X starts will help you understand how to customize your work environment the way you wish it to be.

Note that you can customize the environment on both a system-wide and user level. It is probably best to do user level changes rather than to change the system defaults, as the user scripts are stored in the user's home directory, so you will have less merging of files to do when upgrading to a new version of OpenBSD. The system-wide defaults are in /etc/X11 and were initially loaded from xetcXX.tgz, which is not reloaded by the suggested upgrade process, so if you make system-wide changes, they will persist, but you may need to merge those changes into later versions of those files.
11.5.2 - startx(1) startup
startx(1) looks for the file .xinitrc in the user's home directory. .xinitrc is usually a shell script, which can start as many X "client" (applications that use X) programs as desired. When this script exits, the X server shuts down. Generally, most of the programs run by this script should run in the background, though the last one should run in the foreground (typically the window manager); when it exits, the script will exit, and X will be shutdown.

In the simplest case, this can be as little as just the name of the window manager you wish to invoke:

cwm

Or you can get a little more fancy:

xconsole -geometry -0+0 -fn 5x7 &
oclock -geometry 75x75-0-0 &
xsetroot -solid grey &
cwm

That will start the xconsole(1) which provides a copy of any text that the kernel would have sent to the console (which is now covered by the graphical screen), an analog clock, oclock(1), and sets the background to a solid grey background with xsetroot(1) all before invoking the cwm(1) window manager. Note that only the window manager is not "backgrounded" with an "&" character. This means that X will stay running until cwm(1) exits.

If a user's home directory does not have a .xinitrc file in it, the system's /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file is used. This file can provide you some additional ideas for your .xinitrc script.
11.5.3 - xdm(1) startup
xdm(1) is usually started by the system startup scripts, but for testing purposes (recommended, until you know your have your X config right!), it can be run as root.

xdm(1) has a lot of other functionality that won't be touched on here, but for our purposes, xdm will present the user with a login screen, get and verify a user name and password, and then give the user their X environment. When X shuts down, either deliberately or accidently, xdm will start it back up again. This is why you want to make sure X is configured properly before using xdm(1), and certainly before having xdm(1) start at boot, otherwise, you may have some difficulty getting control of the machine.

When xdm(1) starts, it runs the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession, which will check to see if the user has a .xsession file in their home directory. So, if you wish to change your default window manager, simply invoke it (and maybe other things) in .xsession. Again, any programs you want started with X (for example, maybe three xterm(1)s) can be placed here, but all should be backgrounded except for your window manager, as again, when that exits, your X session will be ended. In this case, xdm(1) will restart X and bring you back to a login screen.
11.5.4 - Trying a new window manager
You can invoke a particular window manager when you load X without altering any defaults like this:

$ startx /usr/local/bin/fluxbox

Several window managers (including cwm(1) and fvwm(1)) offer the ability to change window managers on the fly, without restarting X or any of your applications. Your new window manager replaces your old one; exiting the newly-loaded window manager terminates X, it does not return you back to your previous window manager. fvwm(1) allows you to start a different window manager by left clicking on the background ("root window"), chose "(Re)Start", then pick your preferred window manager (however, note that you will need to add your alternative window managers to your .fvwmrc file (the system-wide default is /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm/.fvwmrc)). cwm(1) allows you to invoke another window manager by hitting Ctrl-Alt-w, and typing in the manager you wish to switch to.

Once you have found a window manager you like, you can set it as the final program run by your startup scripts as described above.

[FAQ Index] [To Section 10 - System Management] [To Section 12 - Hardware and Platform-Specific Questions]
Old 12th July 2012
Shell Scout

Default I installed openbsd with the window manager

is not clear what this means. This could mean:

The XDM Display Manager is started by rc(8) by having xdm_flags configured to something other than NO in /etc/rc.conf.local if you created the file, or /etc/rc.conf if you did not.
The Gnome Display Manager was installed and you have enabled it in via the rc.d(8) subsystem, such as by adding it to the pkg_scripts variable in /etc/rc.conf.local or /etc/rc.conf.
You are starting X via shell .profile or some other method.

------------------------

And now I can't remove it.
Old 12th July 2012
Shell Scout

Bottom line it takes hours to configure openbsd to connect to internet and to run gnome, and things still not working.

year 2012.

Every operating system must give the user minimal abilities ( X and internet) .

Why openbsd doesn't ?

Last edited by barti; 12th July 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12th July 2012
More noise than signal

It takes me about 20 minutes to install OpenBSD and Gnome on a bare metal workstation. Most of that is download time for Gnome and its dependencies.

I still do not know what you've installed, or what you've configured. You are very good at communicating frustration, not so good at problem reporting.

Last edited by jggimi; 12th July 2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 13th July 2012
bsdstudent

Hi barti !!
I always install OpenBSD & choose yes for X but not xdm .. then when you reboot :
all you get is a prompt & black screen .. when you log in you decide then :
If you need to start X you have options :
1- just do : startx
this will start fvwm , my beloved one.It's a script.
2- if you want another window manager , eg : kde
sudo pkg_add kdebase
then you do :
xinit /usr/local/bin/startkde
& if you want to make it default window manager just put that in .xinitrc in your home directory & then whenever you do startx it starts kde.Sames applies to other windows managers offered.
I'm a newbie like you and many things escape my mind or seem hard for my neurones to grok & yet I find OpenBSD my unique Dream OS & many times I do foolish things hehe .. Time will heal .. Daemonforums too .. :-)
Old 13th July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
if you want another window manager , eg : kde
sudo pkg_add kdebase
Actually daemonfowl, this is incorrect. You have not explicitly mentioned setting PKG_PATH, & neither has barti indicated that he has read Section 15 of the FAQ.

Secondly, barti has been quite specific that he wants Gnome. Bringing up KDE essentially is hijacking discussion for your own reasons.
Old 13th July 2012
bsdstudent

Sir ocicat , can you plz be + here ? I'm gnome 2 , but because I had issues with 3 I avoided it lest our friend would face the same woe .. ok 'gnome-session' instead of 'startkde' :-)

Friend barti ,
I install OpenBSD .. I have my machine connected to a router so I choose bce0 & dhcp from the start .. yes to X (which is default) .. and no to xdm (default ) then I reboot.
Configuring PKG_PATH is a must to install packages easily .. so I edit ~/.profile adding a line
(in your case 5.1 stable)
Code:
 export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.1/packages/i386/
you can preferably choose a closer mirror instead .. get the list from
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/ftplist .

ifconfig -a gives you the network interfaces that you have :
my case is : bce0 and wpi0
When I've chosen bce0 .. a file was created in /etc which is : hostname.bce0 containing the word dhcp ..
you can create a similar file : hostname.wpi0 as a new interface .. et voila you have wireless connection as well ..
Quote:
Every operating system must give the user minimal abilities ( X and internet) .
Why openbsd doesn't ?
barti .. you got it hard because it's a first start like I did. Actually OpenBSD does that and much more.OpenBSD detected bce0 when his twin failed at this.It detected wpi0 and gem0 (ibook) and rum0 (dlink external adapter) and I never thought I could enjoy working on my old legacy hardware (ibook , imac & dell ) with full X working and a fully audited system.
barti , I -like yourself- fail sometimes to benefit from FAQs not because they lack something but because I do lack something (background knowledge,even terminology used in faqs , enough brain cells .. :-) ) .. so I keep trying and I stick to Daemonforums & likes & BSD folk ..
One thing that helped me avoid feeling bad when failing at tasks is having more than 1 disk or more than one machine to work on.You can install OpenBSD on a flash ..the idea is : never say die.
(Sorry ocicat if I went off-topic again. )

Last edited by daemonfowl; 13th July 2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: mistake : hostname.bce0 and not hostname.wpi0 .. typo
Old 13th July 2012
Shell Scout

Default simple question

-----------------
I install OpenBSD .. I have my machine connected to a router so I choose bce0 & dhcp from the start .. yes to X (which is default) .. and no to xdm (default ) then I reboot.
------------------

I did install openbsd and choosed yes for xdm.

Can I change that after installation?

FAQ and manuals don't say.

With linux is adsl-setup and you have connection.
With openbsd is 10 hours working and ..............

But, I still want to learn it.
It is what linux was 10 years ago.

Maybe I will reinstall openbsd again.
Old 13th July 2012
Shell Scout

It takes me about 20 minutes to install OpenBSD and Gnome on a bare metal workstation. Most of that is download time for Gnome and its dependencies.

I still do not know what you've installed, or what you've configured. You are very good at communicating frustration, not so good at problem reporting.

=========================

But how many years do you work with openbsd?

I think that in modern times people have many things to do and that modern operating system must have the basic stuff ready to go.

Maybe openbsd developers build it for expert in bsd and that is ok.

Maybe better that way!

Linux is for everyone and becoming worse every day...
Old 13th July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
I did install openbsd and choosed yes for xdm.

Can I change that after installation?
Yes you can. When you told the installation script to use XDM, it placed:
Code:
xdm_flags=                  # enabled during install
into the file /etc/rc.conf.local for you. This overrides the setting of "xdm_flags=NO" in the file /etc/rc.conf which is the default. If you edit /etc/rc.conf.local and comment out this line, XDM will not start on boot.
Quote:
...It is what linux was 10 years ago....
No, you misunderstand the goals of the OpenBSD Project. The goals for the OpenBSD Project meet the needs of its developers. We users just go along for the ride, and we get -- for me, anyway -- an architecturally elegant, simply structured, easy to support and maintain platform for a wide variety of applications. Please read http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html -- you will see users mentioned only twice: they have access to the source code (OpenBSD is Open), and they support the Project.
Quote:
Maybe I will reinstall openbsd again.
You don't need to. You just need to edit /etc/rc.conf.local.
Quote:
But how many years do you work with openbsd?
Me? I first installed OpenBSD in 2004. But, I had already had significant experience with Unix and Unix-like systems prior to then, dating back to the early 1980s. And before Unix, I'd had Multix end-user experience in the 1970s.
Quote:
I think that in modern times people have many things to do and that modern operating system must have the basic stuff ready to go.
The developers are not interested in providing an OS-for-everyone. The culture of the Project is not interested in those users, as it cannot support them. It is a very small group of developers, and if you follow the misc@ mailing list, you will see they are unable and unwilling to support users who cannot provide clear and detailed problem reports.

To me, the OS keeps up to date technically, and is very modern. There is no graphical installer, no windows with buttons where users can click "Next...Next...Next...Next" without reading anything. I don't want or need those things.

There is no pre-configured graphical desktop, unless you want to use the built-in window managers such as fvwm or cwm. There's no pre-configured Gnome workstation. There's no pre-configured KDE or XFCE workstation environments either. Why? The developers are capable of quickly installing and configuring their window manager of choice - and there are more than 40 different window managers to choose from for this OS.

Users of this OS are expected to be self sufficient, or hire commercial support. Here on this forum, we users try to help new users become self sufficient, and help each other. We're not always successful, but we try.
Quote:
Expertise is not required. But technical skills sufficient to install and maintain the OS are.
Quote:
Maybe better that way!
Certainly, for the Project, it has to be that way, they do not have the resources to support non-technical users.
Old 13th July 2012
More noise than signal

Barti, I will add one more comment. We were all of us Newbies, once. Newbies do not need BSD experience, nor do they need technical expertise. But they must be willing to acquire both, over time.

See http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=596
Old 13th July 2012
bsdstudent

First I must thank teacher @jggimi for his kind thoughtfulness and support !
Code:
OpenBSD is secure by default and it's for adventurous beginners as well.
Proof :
I came from Windows/Mac , with 0 shell & *Nix knowledge and far away from IT World.I spent some time using OpenBSD as a desktop OS (both gnome & kde as I was fascinated by the new environement) without going into its internals.I had no problems from the start because I had a router and a wired connection.
Old 14th July 2012
Shell Scout

Default Thank you so much!

Good to have helpful people around.

My inside told me to go with openbsd I think I did right.

I prefer it like that "hardcore OS.

I don't agree with some of the developers way of doing things but I know that they are smart and know what they are doing.

After reading all the forums :

linux vs freebsd "
freebsd vs openbsd "
openbsd compare freebsd"

I see that openbsd developers don't care what people think and do, they just about building the best open source secure system there is.

All the rest is nonsense.
Old 14th July 2012
Shell Scout

Default X log file

The log of X sever.

Now the system go up to text mode but startx gives me gray screen.

================================================== ====

[2240831.302] (--) checkDevMem: using aperture driver /dev/xf86
[2240831.323] (--) Using wscons driver on /dev/ttyC4 in pcvt compatibility mode (version 3.32)
[2240831.389]
X.Org X Server 1.11.4
Release Date: 2012-01-27
[2240831.389] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[2240831.389] Build Operating System: OpenBSD 5.1 i386
[2240831.389] Current Operating System: OpenBSD map22.my.domain 5.1 GENERIC.MP#188 i386
[2240831.389] Build Date: 11 February 2012 10:00:22PM
[2240831.389]
[2240831.389] Current version of pixman: 0.22.2
[2240831.389] Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
[2240831.389] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[2240831.390] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jul 14 06:57:07 2012
[2240831.425] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/X11R6/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[2240831.433] (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
[2240831.433] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[2240831.433] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[2240831.433] (**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[2240831.434] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
Using a default monitor configuration.
[2240831.434] (==) Disabling SIGIO handlers for input devices
[2240831.434] (==) Automatically adding devices
[2240831.434] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[2240831.540] (==) FontPath set to:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
[2240831.540] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
[2240831.540] (II) The server relies on wscons to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure wscons or disable AutoAddDevices.
[2240831.540] (II) Loader magic: 0x3c020020
[2240831.540] (II) Module ABI versions:
[2240831.540] X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[2240831.540] X.Org Video Driver: 11.0
[2240831.540] X.Org XInput driver : 13.0
[2240831.540] X.Org Server Extension : 6.0
[2240831.540] (--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:2772:1028:01ad rev 2, Mem @ 0xfeb00000/524288, 0xe0000000/268435456, 0xfeac0000/262144, I/O @ 0x0000e898/8
[2240831.540] (--) PCI: (0:0:2:1) 8086:2776:1028:01ad rev 2, Mem @ 0xfeb80000/524288
[2240831.541] (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
[2240831.575] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
[2240831.579] (II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.579] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.0.0
[2240831.579] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[2240831.579] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[2240831.579] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[2240831.579] (II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[2240831.579] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
[2240831.579] (II) Loading extension DPMS
[2240831.579] (II) Loading extension XVideo
[2240831.579] (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[2240831.579] (II) Loading extension X-Resource
[2240831.579] (II) LoadModule: "dbe"
[2240831.581] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
[2240831.584] (II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.584] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.0.0
[2240831.584] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[2240831.584] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[2240831.585] (II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[2240831.585] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[2240831.586] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[2240831.595] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.595] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.0.0
[2240831.595] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[2240831.595] (==) AIGLX enabled
[2240831.595] (II) Loading extension GLX
[2240831.596] (II) LoadModule: "record"
[2240831.597] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/librecord.so
[2240831.604] (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.604] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.13.0
[2240831.604] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[2240831.604] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[2240831.604] (II) Loading extension RECORD
[2240831.604] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
[2240831.605] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.so
[2240831.611] (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.611] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.0.0
[2240831.611] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[2240831.611] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
[2240831.612] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[2240831.613] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
[2240831.614] (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.614] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.2.0
[2240831.614] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[2240831.614] (II) Loading extension DRI2
[2240831.614] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 0
[2240831.614] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 1
[2240831.614] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[2240831.614] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
[2240831.614] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
[2240831.635] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.639] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 2.12.0
[2240831.639] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[2240831.639] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
[2240831.639] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[2240831.640] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
[2240831.665] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.665] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 2.3.0
[2240831.665] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[2240831.665] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
[2240831.665] (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale,
Sandybridge Desktop (GT1), Sandybridge Desktop (GT2),
Sandybridge Desktop (GT2+), Sandybridge Mobile (GT1),
Sandybridge Mobile (GT2), Sandybridge Mobile (GT2+),
Sandybridge Server
[2240831.665] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[2240831.665] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
[2240831.666] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
[2240831.670] (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
[2240831.670] (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
[2240831.673] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.so
[2240831.683] (II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240831.683] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 0.1.0
[2240831.683] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
[2240831.683] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
[2240831.683] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
[2240831.683] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
[2240831.683] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/drm0
[2240831.683] drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
[2240831.683] drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:02.0
[2240831.683] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/drm0
[2240831.683] drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
[2240831.684] drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 10
[2240831.684] drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
[2240831.684] (II) intel(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[2240831.684] (==) intel(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[2240831.684] (==) intel(0): RGB weight 888
[2240831.684] (==) intel(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[2240831.684] (II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 945G
[2240831.684] (--) intel(0): Chipset: "945G"
[2240831.684] (--) intel(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xE0000000
[2240831.684] (--) intel(0): IO registers at addr 0xFEB00000 size 524288
[2240831.685] (WW) intel(0): libpciaccess reported 0 rom size, guessing 64kB
[2240831.685] (II) intel(0): No SDVO device is found in VBT
[2240831.703] (II) intel(0): 2 display pipes available.
[2240831.703] (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
[2240831.703] (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
[2240831.703] (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
[2240831.703] (II) Loading sub module "i2c"
[2240831.703] (II) LoadModule: "i2c"
[2240831.703] (II) Module "i2c" already built-in
[2240831.714] (II) intel(0): Output VGA has no monitor section
[2240831.714] (==) intel(0): Write-combining range (0xa0000,0x10000) was already clear
[2240831.799] (II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" initialized.
[2240831.807] (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" removed.
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): EDID for output VGA
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): Manufacturer: DEL Model: a04b Serial#: 875976520
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): Year: 2010 Week: 2
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): EDID Version: 1.3
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): Analog Display Input, Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.300 V
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): Sync: Separate Composite SyncOnGreen
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 38 vert.: 30
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): Gamma: 2.20
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): Default color space is primary color space
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): redX: 0.640 redY: 0.330 greenX: 0.300 greenY: 0.600
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): blueX: 0.150 blueY: 0.060 whiteX: 0.313 whiteY: 0.329
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): Supported established timings:
[2240831.859] (II) intel(0): 720x400@70Hz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 640x480@60Hz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 640x480@75Hz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 800x600@60Hz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 800x600@75Hz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 1024x768@60Hz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 1024x768@75Hz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 1280x1024@75Hz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Supported standard timings:
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): #0: hsize: 1280 vsize 1024 refresh: 60 vid: 32897
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): #1: hsize: 1152 vsize 864 refresh: 75 vid: 20337
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Supported detailed timing:
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): clock: 108.0 MHz Image Size: 376 x 301 mm
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): h_active: 1280 h_sync: 1328 h_sync_end 1440 h_blank_end 1688 h_border: 0
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): v_active: 1024 v_sync: 1025 v_sync_end 1028 v_blanking: 1066 v_border: 0
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Serial No: G448N01346WH
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Monitor name: DELL E190S
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Ranges: V min: 56 V max: 76 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 81 kHz, PixClock max 145 MHz
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): EDID (in hex):
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 00ffffffffffff0010ac4ba048573634
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 021401030e261e78eeee95a3544c9926
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 0f5054a54b008180714f010101010101
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 010101010101302a009851002a403070
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 1300782d1100001e000000ff00473434
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 384e303133343657480a000000fc0044
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 454c4c2045313930530a2020000000fd
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): 00384c1e510e000a20202020202000ff
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "DEL", prod id 41035
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Using EDID range info for horizontal sync
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Using EDID range info for vertical refresh
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x0.0 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz)
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
[2240831.860] (II) intel(0): Modeline "720x400"x0.0 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x0.0 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (80.0 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1152x864"x0.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "DEL", prod id 41035
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Printing probed modes for output VGA
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x60.0 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x75.0 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (80.0 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1152x864"x75.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x75.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x75.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.3 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x75.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x59.9 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Modeline "720x400"x70.1 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Output VGA connected
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Using exact sizes for initial modes
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Output VGA using initial mode 1280x1024
[2240831.861] (II) intel(0): Using default gamma of (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) unless otherwise stated.
[2240832.372] (==) intel(0): Write-combining range (0xa0000,0x10000) was already clear
[2240832.387] (II) intel(0): detected 256 kB GTT.
[2240832.387] (II) intel(0): detected 7932 kB stolen memory.
[2240832.388] (==) intel(0): video overlay key set to 0x101fe
[2240832.388] (**) intel(0): Display dimensions: (380, 300) mm
[2240832.388] (**) intel(0): DPI set to (85, 86)
[2240832.388] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[2240832.388] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[2240832.389] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.so
[2240832.410] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240832.410] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.0.0
[2240832.410] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[2240832.410] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[2240832.410] (II) Unloading vesa
[2240832.410] (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[2240832.411] (II) intel(0): Kernel reported 491520 total, 0 used
[2240832.411] (II) intel(0): I830CheckAvailableMemory: 1966080 kB available
[2240832.411] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[2240832.411] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] DRI driver: i915
[2240832.411] (**) intel(0): Framebuffer tiled
[2240832.411] (**) intel(0): Pixmaps tiled
[2240832.411] (**) intel(0): 3D buffers tiled
[2240832.411] (**) intel(0): SwapBuffers wait enabled
[2240832.415] (==) intel(0): VideoRam: 262144 KB
[2240832.415] (II) intel(0): Allocated new frame buffer 1280x1024 stride 8192, tiled
[2240832.425] (II) intel(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
[2240832.425] (==) intel(0): Write-combining range (0xa0000,0x10000) was already clear
[2240832.443] (II) UXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
[2240832.443] (II) solid
[2240832.443] (II) copy
[2240832.443] (II) composite (RENDER acceleration)
[2240832.443] (II) put_image
[2240832.443] (II) get_image
[2240832.443] (==) intel(0): Backing store disabled
[2240832.443] (==) intel(0): Silken mouse disabled
[2240832.445] (II) intel(0): Initializing HW Cursor
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): Fixed memory allocation layout:
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): 0x00000000-0x00009fff: HW cursors (40 kB, 0x000000005f800000 physical
)
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): 0x0000a000-0x0000afff: overlay registers (4 kB, 0x000000005f80a000 physical
)
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): 0x007bf000: end of stolen memory
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): 0x007bf000-0x0fff4fff: DRI memory manager (254168 kB)
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): 0x10000000: end of aperture
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): BO memory allocation layout:
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): 0x007bf000: start of memory manager
[2240832.784] (II) intel(0): 0x0fff5000: end of memory manager
[2240832.901] is crt
[2240833.101] (II) intel(0): Output configuration:
[2240833.101] (II) intel(0): Pipe A is on
[2240833.101] (II) intel(0): Display plane A is now enabled and connected to pipe A.
[2240833.101] (II) intel(0): Pipe B is off
[2240833.101] (II) intel(0): Display plane B is now disabled and connected to pipe B.
[2240833.101] (II) intel(0): Output VGA is connected to pipe A
[2240833.101] (II) intel(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
[2240833.112] (==) intel(0): DPMS enabled
[2240833.112] (==) intel(0): Intel XvMC decoder disabled
[2240833.113] (II) intel(0): Set up textured video
[2240833.113] (II) intel(0): Set up overlay video
[2240833.113] (II) intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 Enabled
[2240833.114] (--) RandR disabled
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
[2240833.114] (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
[2240833.317] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
[2240833.317] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_INTEL_swap_event
[2240833.317] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_make_current_read
[2240833.317] (II) AIGLX: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap backed by buffer objects
[2240833.317] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized i915
[2240833.317] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
[2240833.318] (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 270
[2240833.904] (II) config/wscons: checking input device /dev/wskbd
[2240833.904] (II) wskbd: using layout us
[2240833.904] (II) LoadModule: "kbd"
[2240833.906] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
[2240833.928] (II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240833.928] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.6.1
[2240833.928] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[2240833.928] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 13.0
[2240833.928] (II) Using input driver 'kbd' for '/dev/wskbd'
[2240833.928] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
[2240833.928] (**) /dev/wskbd: always reports core events
[2240833.928] (**) /dev/wskbd: always reports core events
[2240833.928] (**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
[2240833.928] (**) Option "XkbRules" "base"
[2240833.928] (**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
[2240833.928] (**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
[2240833.928] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "/dev/wskbd" (type: KEYBOARD, id 6)
[2240834.152] (II) config/wscons: checking input device /dev/wsmouse
[2240834.152] (II) LoadModule: "ws"
[2240834.153] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/ws_drv.so
[2240834.165] (II) Module ws: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[2240834.165] compiled for 1.11.4, module version = 1.3.0
[2240834.165] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[2240834.165] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 13.0
[2240834.165] (II) Using input driver 'ws' for '/dev/wsmouse'
[2240834.165] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/ws_drv.so
[2240834.166] (**) /dev/wsmouse: always reports core events
[2240834.166] (II) ws: /dev/wsmouse: debuglevel 0
[2240834.166] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/wsmouse"
[2240834.166] (**) ws: /dev/wsmouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
[2240834.166] (**) ws: /dev/wsmouse: WAxisMapping: buttons 6 and 7
[2240834.166] (**) ws: /dev/wsmouse: associated screen: 0
[2240834.166] (II) ws: /dev/wsmouse: minimum x position: 0
[2240834.166] (II) ws: /dev/wsmouse: maximum x position: 1279
[2240834.166] (II) ws: /dev/wsmouse: minimum y position: 0
[2240834.166] (II) ws: /dev/wsmouse: maximum y position: 1023
[2240834.166] (==) ws: /dev/wsmouse: Buttons: 7
[2240834.201] (**) ws: /dev/wsmouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
[2240834.201] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "/dev/wsmouse" (type: MOUSE, id 7)
[2240834.202] (**) /dev/wsmouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
[2240834.202] (**) /dev/wsmouse: (accel) acceleration profile 0
[2240834.202] (**) /dev/wsmouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[2240834.202] (**) /dev/wsmouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[2240837.577] (II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" initialized.
[2240837.577] (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" removed.
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "DEL", prod id 41035
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Using hsync ranges from config file
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Using vrefresh ranges from config file
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x0.0 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "720x400"x0.0 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x0.0 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (80.0 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1152x864"x0.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
[2240837.629] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "DEL", prod id 41035
[2240860.521] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
[2240864.498] (II) UnloadModule: "ws"
[2240864.498] (II) Unloading ws
[2240864.498] (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
[2240864.498] (II) Unloading kbd
[2240864.535] Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
Old 14th July 2012
Shell Scout

Default X log file

The log of X sever.

log file attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xlog.txt (23.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 14th July 2012
More noise than signal

1. Do you have an .xinitrc file?
  2. What are its contents?
  3. did you install gnome-session?
Old 14th July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
The log of X sever.
Again, please use [code] & [/code] tags when posting log file contents.
Quote:
It doesn't sound like you have anything in ~/.xinitrc.