DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

View Poll Results: computer hobbyist or pro?
hobbyist 19 37.25%
pro 32 62.75%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
Knuth's homeboy

Default computer hobbyist or pro?

I believe not all members on this forums are Computer/IT professionals so I thought lets have a poll to find out.

If you are studying/training in computers/networking please select the second option.

Last edited by ephemera; 21st November 2008 at 09:23 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
Spam Refugee

I think a pro will always be a hobbyist as well..
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDaemon View Post

I would like to believe that too, but thats not always the case, for some its just a job.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDaemon View Post
This is what a geek is, right?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
UNIX lover

A nerd since the early 80s who sometimes even earns some money with that strange stuff ;-)
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
Banned

Formal training? I have none.. hobbyist I guess.. but I believe I know a little more then some professionals.

I mean, if you're not passionate about your work as a hobby..
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

maybe you can add a new poll for us professional hobbyist
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

i'm hobbyist, but going to be pro.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Formal training? I have none.. hobbyist I guess.. but I believe I know a little more then some professionals.

I mean, if you're not passionate about your work as a hobby..
I think you do know quite a bit more than most professionals I met.

I personally classify myself as a hobbyist who got sick and tired of IT professionals trying to boss me around and whom I had to beg every time I needed to complete some work. So one day I decided that investing couple months in intensive learning was worthy of avoiding that crap. I did it and now I am a happy camper. I do not need any IT departments any more to do my work. I do not need any IT service personal. Only people whom I really need are OpenBSD developers who are codding OS for me.
I wonder what would happen if they piss me off I would probably have to brash up my C programing language skills, shut up, and do some hacking of my own.
Old 21st November 2008
Custom Title Maker

Like more than a few have said, IT is both my career and hobby. I wouldn't want it any other way. If your career is just a job, then why do it? What's the point?
ISO Quartermaster

How about "neither?" Yes, I use computers professionally, and do all my (small) company's IT. But they are not my focus, nor have I really been trained formally for anything I do now. And I certainly don't get paid for the IT support -- it just sucks time from other, more important, things.

And there is not much time left simply to play with computers.
Old 21st November 2008
/dev/urandom

No option for both? I do this stuff for fun and a career.
Old 21st November 2008
Risen from the ashes

Started as a hobby, became a career, but now it's starting to suck the fun out of it and the hobby side has suffered.

Hoping a nice long vacation, or a promotion away from everything helpdesk-related, will help.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 21st November 2008
Local

Almost the reverse in my case: started as a career in the mid/late 90s ("I can make money working in computers, right?") and became both a career and a regular hobby.
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
Almost the reverse in my case: started as a career in the mid/late 90s ("I can make money working in computers, right?") and became both a career and a regular hobby.
Oh I remember the late nineties. That was when the dot-com bubble was at its peak and everyone (and I mean "everyone") wanted to get into the dot-com/computers thing. Back then I was pretty much clueless in life so I figured going for CS ought to be safe bet but as soon as I joined college the .com bubble burst. :P
Old 21st November 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera
I figured going for CS ought to be safe bet but as soon as I joined college the .com bubble burst. :P
Just as I graduated it burst. I got really lucky in landing a job in central Texas. ("Plan B" was a US Navy or US Air Force officer career; I was already talking with recruiters when I finally got a CS job.)

I still remember reading promotional material at the hotel I was staying at, while I was looking for an apartment. The mayor of Austin at the time was quoted saying something along the lines of: "Dotcoms are as plentiful as bluebonnets here."
Arp Constable

I consider myself a hobbyist as far as this poll is concerned, but would very much like to work with computers in what you would deem a "professional" capacity. For me, a job is what you do to pay bills, but a career is what you do because you want to do it, and getting paid in the process, is icing on the cake.

I've been using computers since I was a very small child, and gradually grew to love tinkering with them in the 2000s. The only education I have had, is a church pastor who explained something about scrollbars to me shortly after the change from MS-DOS to Windows 98; everything else I've generally learned because I wanted to learn it. What most people call "Computer Science"; how networks work; how systems are engineered; mathematics that makes me think. why is that?; how OS kernels work; how this line of code goes from bytes of key presses on a keyboard, to machine code; the physics that work in the world around me; what makes the lightbulb in the fridge turn on... all fascinate me, there are so many things in those realms that I appreciate. I gneerally write myself off as a geek, nothing more.

Quote:
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.

I study what I love, I write code because of a passion for working with it; I learned how to use Unix like systems, because I fell in love with the design of it; TCP/IP Networks were always a mystery, what in the universe is this modem setup-thing driving at with these questions? Had to find and go exploring afterwards, rather then just do as I was told by the ISP; got a computer that I could screw with, so no one could complain if I broke it... took her apart, put her back together again, and learned as much as I could in the process about what made her tick (the box ran perfectly, as soon as I remembered to plug the keyboard back in xD).

It is a possibility that I may never have my cake and get to eat it too, but I sure as f*** will eat it!

If I wasn't self driven to learn this stuff, and didn't enjoy working with it for such large parts of my daily life -> I could never fathom seeking a carreer based on computers. Instead I would start building my body for the PT, and probably head towards the Police Department or the United States military, depending on just what I could live with at the end of my days... but I would very much like to work in computing, eventually.

If anyone is a Battletech fan, think of a mercenary companies techs joy at salvaging good equipment -> You'll see the smile on my face at finding PC parts or new tools to play with lol. Some people are full of music, others might be found writing books, me? In front of a computer or out trying to understand why it works.

==

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
And there is not much time left simply to play with computers.
I don't know about for you DrJ, but to me... I would call that a tragedy :\.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Only people whom I really need are OpenBSD developers who are codding OS for me. I wonder what would happen if they piss me off I would probably have to brash up my C programing language skills, shut up, and do some hacking of my own.
Haha, I bet you would :-P

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 21st November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
I don't know about for you DrJ, but to me... I would call that a tragedy :\.
Maybe. Things I'm doing for "fun" right now are, for example, refereeing articles for sexy journals like Lab-on-a-Chip, Langmuir and Journal of Chromatography. Yes, they are related to what I do professionally, but there is no money in it. At all. But there is some really cool technology in the world beyond computers.

I also overstate things a bit.
Old 21st November 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Started as a hobby, became a career, but now it's starting to suck the fun out of it and the hobby side has suffered.

Hoping a nice long vacation, or a promotion away from everything helpdesk-related, will help.
Sounds very familiar.
Port Guard

In late 80's I started playing games and programming on my Atari. I graduated in computer science and work for an IT company for seven years now doing projects for other companies.

Computers have always been a hobby to me. But sometimes I feel that simply being a 'consumer' would save me from the headache computers may cause.