DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Xfce. Why didnt anyone tell me?

I just recently switched to Xfce because I wanted to try something different other than KDE and Gnome was too bulky for me and I was having some trouble getting things working properly. Well I installed Xfce and at first it was a little bit of work to get things set up properly. Now all I can say is I wish I would have tried it sooner. I love the speed of it and the fact that I can run Gnome and Kde appz. Its not quite as easy to configure but I love it! Just thought I would give xfce a little love.

I did find myself installing some kde and gnome applications which upsets me a little because they are applications that I really like but it requires all of the bulk of kde and gnome to be installed along with them. Oh well....
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Python Wrangler

Well, to be honest, because I used it a few years ago and went "WHOA" and then ... broke my config and ran away.

I hear it has improved a great deal but I guess it's because in the bad old days you broke things and it broke the config, the control panel was buggy and prior to Thunar the file mananger was a joke (I can't even remember if there was one because I call just using Nautilus).

Still, it's fairly fantastic, I must agree
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
ISO Quartermaster

all, kde, gnome, Xfce are not applications, they are graphical environments....
Kde and gnome are most heavy weight.....
There are many window managers, that will be even faster, less resource consuming and less dependent on other things...
for example, some of most popular are: fluxbox, fvwm2 (which i use), blackbox..... etc
you can run any app from any environment on any environment/window manager....
They will load nessacery libs, when launched...

on qestion, why didn't anyone tell:
1) you probably didn't ask
2) everyone runs something different, what fits for one, doesn't fit for other one
3) because of 3rd, everyone would probably suggest their favorite thing (i'd suggest fvwm2-devel)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I tried it about five years back and it was a miserable experience for me too. It was very very buggy. They have apparently been doing some work! Im impressed with the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turophile View Post
Well, to be honest, because I used it a few years ago and went "WHOA" and then ... broke my config and ran away.

I hear it has improved a great deal but I guess it's because in the bad old days you broke things and it broke the config, the control panel was buggy and prior to Thunar the file mananger was a joke (I can't even remember if there was one because I call just using Nautilus).

Still, it's fairly fantastic, I must agree
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2008
Port Guard

Try running Xmonad on top of XFCE...

Wonderful tiling manager, speed... I am speed...