DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2010
New User

Default virtualbox+Openbsd+ports

Hi all. Im new in BSD World and virtualization . I run openBSD trough Ubuntu karmic + VirtualBox. Install(sets) was straightforward. How can install ports? i can't find a way to communicate ubuntu and openBSD. I try download .tar.gz trough lynx (D key) but i dont' know where is the downloaded file.
Someone can help me please?
TIA
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2010
Shell Scout

The downloaded file should be where exactley you are now. So if you launch lynx in /home/user the downloaded file should be in /home/user.

Please check this as this is behaviour of links- lynx should have the same.

Piotr.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2010
More noise than signal

Packages are preferred to ports. The use of the package system and the $PKG_PATH variable are described in OpenBSD FAQ 15, which describes the Ports/Packages system. Please read it, to ensure you understand the implications of your choices.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2010
Shell Scout

The question was how to set-up the ports not packages.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjoter View Post
The question was how to set-up the ports not packages.
As jggimi states, the project advocates using the package system over compiling from ports. This is especially important to newbies, who frequently are looking to get configuration done quickly & with minimal work.

As stated in Section 15.3 of the FAQ:

The ports tree is meant for advanced users. Everyone is encouraged to use the pre-compiled binary packages.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2010
More noise than signal

To use ports, the ports tree synchronized to the OS must be obtained separately from the OS, and the building of applications is done through the ports infrastructure. There is no manual download of anything other than, possibly, a -release ports tree, if the -release flavor of the OS is being used. The ports system of OpenBSD builds and then installs packages. There is no reason to build an identical package that is already available.

When using the package system, there is no tree to install. But neither, =normally=, is anything manually downloaded.

A user who has lost a file obtained via lynx is not one I would have use the ports system.
Quote:
15.4.6 - What should I use: packages or ports?

In general, you are highly advised to use packages over building an application from ports. The OpenBSD ports team considers packages to be the goal of their porting work, not the ports themselves. Building a complex application from source is not trivial. Not only must the application be compiled, but the tools used to build it must be built as well. Unfortunately, OpenBSD, the tools, and the application are all evolving, and often, getting all the pieces working together is a challenge. Once everything works, a revision in any of the pieces the next day could render it broken. Every six months, as a new release of OpenBSD is made, an effort is made to test the building of every port on every platform, but during the development cycle it is likely that some ports will break.

In addition to having all the pieces work together, there is just the matter of time and resources required to compile some applications from source. A common example is CVSup, a tool commonly used to track the OpenBSD source tree. To install CVSup on a moderately fast system with a good Internet connection may take only about ten seconds -- the time required to download and unpack a single 779kB package file. In contrast, building CVSup on the same machine from source is a huge task, requiring many tools and bootstrapping a compiler, taking almost half an hour on the same machine. Other applications, such as Mozilla or KDE may take hours and huge amounts of disk space and RAM/swap to build. Why go through this much time and effort, when the programs are already compiled and sitting on your CD-ROM or FTP mirror, waiting to be used?

Of course, there are a few good reasons to use ports over packages in some cases:
  • Distribution rules prohibit OpenBSD from distributing a package.
  • You wish to modify or debug the application or study its source code.
  • You need a flavor of a port that is not built by the OpenBSD ports team.
  • You wish to alter the directory layout (i.e. modifying PREFIX or SYSCONFDIR).
However, for most people and most applications, using packages is a much easier, and definitely the recommended way of adding applications to an OpenBSD system.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2010
Shell Scout

Hi all,

I understand that PKG is more convenient and safe and is advised. But why not to encourage someone to experiment? Eventhough it is not advised?

No risk no fun

Kind regards to all in this thread !

Piotr.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2010
More noise than signal

When a new poster who give the appearance, through their posting, to be 1) having difficulty with simple administrative tasks, 2) missed published documentation, 3) and is going down the wrong path ....

... I do not encourage them to continue down the wrong path.

There are some rare times the ports tree is needed for -release. This does not appear to be one of them.