DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2014
Port Guard

Default Where to download public key files?

According to 3.5 "Verifying your download" (hxxp://w.w.w.openbsd.org/faq/faq3.html#Verify) I need the public key files and the signify program.

Where can I download them?

Moreover I am using Debian stable.

P.S.: I'm only allowed to post URLs once I have made at least 5 posts.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

OpenBSD's source code for signify(1) is located in its source tree, at src/usr.bin/signify -- and it is dependent upon both OpenBSD's libc and libutil. These libraries are also in the source tree, at src/lib/{libc,libutil}. The source code for 5.5-release can be obtained four ways:
  1. Obtain it from a tarball on the release CD set.
  2. Obtain it from two tarballs at your nearest download mirror.
  3. Use one of OpenBSD's AnonCVS repositories and cvs(1) on Debian. Use "-r OPENBSD_5_5" for the source code, as described in the link. (This is actually -stable, which is -release plus any break/fix patches)
  4. While primarily for on-line review of patches and source files, you could manually obtain the source one file at a time from OpenBSD's web portal to the CVS repositories. Be sure to only download the revisions tagged with OPENBSD_5_5 as mentioned above.
----

I think that porting the signify utility to Debian would be a more difficult and complicated task than running the OpenBSD's installation/rescue system. This is a kernel that includes a small root filesystem in RAM that includes the signify utility. OpenBSD did not have the utility until 5.5. For all previous releases, we verified installation binaries only with checksums -- we did not have cryptographic hashes to verify against keys.

Last edited by jggimi; 5th July 2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: corrected flavor description of the OPENBSD_5_5 tag
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2014
More noise than signal

Oh, yes ... the public key files are in ./etc/signify in the base55.tgz installation fileset for your architecture, and also in /etc/signify of the installation/rescue OS, the "RAMDISK" kernel I mentioned above. And yes, they're also in the source tree, in src/etc/signify.

Last edited by jggimi; 5th July 2014 at 10:19 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2014
Port Guard

Default Are the public key files available in *.asc format?

Users who plan to migrate their existing platform from Microsoft OS, Debian or Ubuntu to OpenBSD may have difficulty in using the signify utility to verify OpenBSD's ISOs.

Where can I download the signing key (in the form of .asc) for install55.iso? With the .asc file, I can then use gpg4win under Microsoft Windows to verify install55.iso.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2014
OpenBSD language porter

If you are truly worried by this:
Install OpenBSD on a machine.
Download and verify a new bsd.rd from your mirror of choice.
Boot into the new bsd.rd and blast away your original install (choose (I)nstall instead of (U)pgrade from the bsd.rd menu just like you did the first time).

Now you're in the signify loop.

Last edited by ibara; 12th July 2014 at 06:11 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravuhaw2C View Post
Users who plan to migrate their existing platform from Microsoft OS, Debian or Ubuntu to OpenBSD may have difficulty in using the signify utility to verify OpenBSD's ISOs.
This is because this is the first release to contain signify(1), and the OpenBSD Project has not developed a Portable Signify. The Project might do that in the future, but if so (in my opinion) they are unlikely to use PGP, GPG, X.509, or any other external cryptographic framework, since signify(1) was designed to eliminate the need for them.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2014
More noise than signal

About 2 hours ago, Bob Beck (beck@) posted on Twitter that, in support of Portable LibreSSL, a version of signify has been ported to Linux.

Tags
public key, signify, verify