DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

Old 12th June 2009
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
IMHO if X -configure works, it works really well. If it doesn't work which is often the case with older laptops alternative is writing xorg.conf file from scratch by hand.
I've always ued X -configure to get myself a template for my machines, then hand edit it in vi or vim until things are sorted out. When it doesn't work with the generated file, scratch it and move on. Whatever peoples opinions of 'man xorg.conf' is, under the X11R6 days and all the way to the last 7.x release I had to configure - it's always been enough to figure out how to do things when combined with an example for orientation. Most of my hardware is pretty basic stuff so I usually get a working template in a fair resolution, when it works it works well.

If things like xorgcfg and xorgconfig have not been maintained they will eventually generate xorg.conf's that are not appropriate for a modern X.Org and that would lead to much weeping and gashing of teeth. I reckon the developers have little need of such a program, would be nice if they would keep it on because such tools can sometimes be useful to us users! But really there is nothing to stop someone from picking up the code or implementing an updated configuration engine with curses, gtk, and qt front ends, and stuffing it all on sourceforge!

Actually that sounds kind of like fun but not a program suite I would want to maintain on my own.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 12th June 2009
Port Guard

See that's what I don't get: why is using X -configure then tweaking more user friendly than xorgconfig? It look me hours of man page reading and googling to set the X.org config right for a simple i810 graphics set. Before, it was 5 minutes of xorgconfig.
Old 12th June 2009
Banned

I guess it depends on the user, but I don't find editing xorg.conf intimidating.. user friendly is always open to interpretation.
Old 13th June 2009
ISO Quartermaster

I don't either. The first time round was rough, but thereafter you pick up things from the lists (or forums) and add to it as you go along. You also sort of get the hang of it.

More irritating is when things break. I got started with dual monitors on a Matrox G450 (I think) and at one point it stopped working. Bug. And it was never fixed, as far as I know. That was still xf86.
Old 13th June 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
More irritating is when things break. I got started with dual monitors on a Matrox G450 (I think) and at one point it stopped working. Bug. And it was never fixed, as far as I know. That was still xf86.
+1 on this Dr! When I started using dual displays it was with the nv driver. Now I keep reading that this driver doesn't support dual displays anymore. That to me does not make much sense.
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
When I started using dual displays it was with the nv driver. Now I keep reading that this driver doesn't support dual displays anymore. That to me does not make much sense.
That's what I have read too, and yes, it makes no sense. I'm still on i386, so I just use the nVidia driver, which works very well.

But these days it seems there is a concerted effort to break all backwards compatibility in xorg. I don't like it at all.
Old 13th June 2009
Spam Deminer

If 'nv' no longer supports dual displays, the blame lies squarely with nvidia since they are the primary maintainers of that (rather obfuscated) driver.

Adam
Old 13th June 2009
Port Guard

xorg.conf itself doesn't scare me IF whatever sets it up gets it right but when I had to google ModeLines and PreferredMode of my monitor, something xorgconfig always got right, I was not happy.
Old 15th July 2009
Spam Deminer

1) Solaris uses XSun exclusively for Sparc hardware. They've stated that X support will be provided via XOrg in all future releases of Solaris and OpenSolaris on the x86/x64 platforms. One thing to note here is that we're talking about Sun here. I'm willing to bet that the version of XOrg in any Solaris operating system coming straight from Sun will be different than the mainstream version because Sun will make it better as it has Gnome and a few other open source technologies before actually integrating them into the operating system.

2) The alternative is not using Windows. It's using OpenSolaris. Seriously, Solaris is ahead of any other Unix/Unix-like system out there. The strives that OpenSolaris has made in the past three years is a testament to that. On top of that, it has more commercial support. I just tested it a few days ago and I was rather happy to see how painlessly it worked. And I had all the software that I need at my disposal.
Old 15th July 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Seriously, Solaris is ahead of any other Unix/Unix-like system out there.
I tried using OpenSolaris. It found it to be buggy and incomplete. I also didn't like the way some things worked. I was some time ago and I don't remember the details.

In any case, I installed OpenBSD on my laptop monday. So far it's working pretty good for me. Took me some time to learn about and adjust to some subtle differences though, and probably will spend more time doing so in the coming weeks ...
Too dumb for a smartphone

My OpenSolaris experience was also rather brief. A few weeks ago I got the live CD, and it wouldn't boot on any of the three x86 machines I tried it on. I don't mean that to sound too critical; I guess it's still a younger project, and it is interesting.
Old 16th July 2009
Spam Deminer

For me, 2009.06 worked relatively well, but I'm migrating to Fedora 11. It's my favorite Linux operating system and I need something that has better commercial support than FreeBSD.
Old 5th December 2010
Shell Scout

Ubuntu have started dabbling with this new thing called Wayland. And from what I read, Linux is going to change from Xorg to Wayland (and integrate it deeply into the kernel), this is likelly good for BSD users because it means that xorg might return to the basics and stop having linuxims.
Old 5th December 2010
Daemonology student

That, or developers lose interest in it as the main GNU/Linux distros with the most market share start to adopt Wayland in the next 5 years or so and we *BSD users are left with an even crappier Xorg, with few developers, many bugs, retarded hardware support, etc.
Shell Scout

And unfortunately (or fortunately?), there is little chance of BSDs adopting Wayland because they’re relicensing to LGPLv2.
Spam Deminer

LGPLv2 is actually better than what I would expect, and there's plenty of LGPLv2 code already in the freebsd and openbsd ports trees (and pkgsrc). He said he's even relicensing the demo compositor and clients from the GPL to the GPLv2 to the LGPLv2, which is a definite improvement.
Old 5th December 2010
Administrator

@backrow

GTK is aslo on LGPL and it works/is ported to BSDs ...

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 5th December 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
@backrow

GTK is aslo on LGPL and it works/is ported to BSDs ...
I suppose I meant “in the base system”… but then again most BSDs don’t have X in the base system either? (I’ve only used OpenBSD, which does.)
Spam Deminer

By what criteria does OpenBSD have Xorg in the base system? Sure, it's an installable set via the CD but, then again, so is gcc, which has an even stricter license than the LGPLv2.

Adam
Old 5th December 2010
More noise than signal

Answer from www.openbsd.org/goals.html (highlights mine):
Quote:
Integrate good code from any source with acceptable copyright (ISC or Berkeley style preferred, GPL acceptable as a last recourse but not in the kernel, NDA never acceptable).