DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2014
Spam Deminer

Default unable to install HP printer

I want to set up my HP LaserJet P1007. There are two problems. First, I am unfamiliar with setting up printers on BSD systems, but I am doing a lot of reading and I believe I have a general grasp of the procedure. Second, this particular printer requires a binary blob. If it is not possible to install such a thing on OpenBSD, skip the rest of this post and feel free to tell me I am wasting my time.

Following this model,
Code:
lp|printername:\
   :sh=:\
   :rm=printservername:\
   :sd=/var/spool/output/printername:\
   :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
   :rp=printername:
I have added these entries to /etc/printcap:
Code:
# cat /etc/printcap 
#    $OpenBSD: printcap,v 1.4 2003/03/28 21:32:30 jmc Exp $

#lp|local line printer:\
#    :lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

#rp|remote line printer:\
#    :lp=:rm=randicus.imperator.org:rp=lp:sd=/var/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

lp|Hewlett-Packard_HP_LaserJet_P1007:\
   :sh=:\
   :rm=randicus.imperator.org:\
   :sd=/var/spool/output/Hewlett-Packard_HP_LaserJet_P1007:\
   :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
   :rp=Hewlett-Packard_HP_LaserJet_P1007:
I have created an /etc/rc.conf.local with
Code:
ldp_flags=""
However, when I run /etc/rc.d/ldp the result is
Code:
ksh: /etc/rc.d/ldp: not found
Of course, the basic foomatic package is included with the system. I can install hpcups, but cannot install hpijs (HP driver set-up), CUPS or HPLIP, due to dependency resolution errors. For example; hpijs:
Code:
Can't install cups-filters-1.0.44p1: can't resolve poppler-utils-0.24.5
Can't install hpijs-3.14.1: can't resolve cups-filters-1.0.44p1
Couldn't find updates for .libs-poppler-0.24.5
My first thought is I screwed up something during the upgrade from 5.5 to 5.6. I believe I upgraded /etc correctly, but it was my first upgrade, so a mistake is definitely possible. (Installing from the package list, not from Ports.)

Trying to print something just for the heck of it results in a broken pipe error message.

I have also looked at FreeBSD's handbook for help.
Code:
# mkdir -p /var/spool/lpd/lp
# chown daemon:daemon /var/spool/lpd/lp
# chmod 770 /var/spool/lpd/lp
but I do not know how relevant those instructions are to OpenBSD.

Am I misunderstanding the set-up procedure or have I broken my system?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
Second, this particular printer requires a binary blob.
I didn't see anything else referring to a blob in your post. This is not possible.*
Quote:
I have created an /etc/rc.conf.local with
Code:
ldp_flags=""
This fails because of a typo. The program is line printer spooler daemon: lpd(8).
Quote:
I can install hpcups, but cannot install hpijs (HP driver set-up), CUPS or HPLIP, due to dependency resolution errors. For example; hpijs:
Code:
Can't install cups-filters-1.0.44p1: can't resolve poppler-utils-0.24.5
Can't install hpijs-3.14.1: can't resolve cups-filters-1.0.44p1
Couldn't find updates for .libs-poppler-0.24.5
It appears to me that some 5.5 packages still remain installed after upgrading to 5.6. The .libs-* packages are older libraries that remain installed because some package still depends upon them. Normally, these resolve during # pkg_add -u. You can run the command again, or find out what still requires the old library with $ pkg_info .libs-poppler-0.24.5 if necessary.

* Firmware (software loaded by the OS into peripheral devices such as NICs) are not considered blobs, because they don't run in the OS, only in the device. Binary programs written for other OSes may sometimes run under limited emulation. Most are long gone, but compat_linux(8) remains available, i386-only.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th November 2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo, clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Based upon your post my conclusion is that you are totally confused.

1. Are you trying to set up local printer or remote printer accessible via printer server? You are mixing lp and rm in that printcap file? lp stands for local printer, rp stands for remote printer.

2. Which spooling system you are using, LPD, CUPS, something else or you don't want to use spooling system? If you are using printcap file and starting lpd daemon in /etc/rc.conf.local that means that you want to use LPD.

3. Now we came to issue of driver. Printers fall into four categories.

a. Able to speak PostScript (Page description language) because they have built in PS interpreter and ASCII code.

b. Speak some kind low level language like Printer Command Language PCL which puts more stress on OS.

c. Speak some kind of proprietary low level language and needs firmware.

d. Expect OS to do all the work.

Your falls into category c.

4. Finally you have to understand the concept of Input Filter. When you sent something to printer it is not necessary PostScript which is the only allowed thing. It could be .txt file or .jpeg file. Input filter needs to detect that and call appropriate program (typically a2ps, ImageMagic or similar) which will convert that to PostScript.

Now putting it all together. You decide to have local USB attached printer. When you plug it dmesg shows something like

Code:
 ugen1 at uhub0 port 4 configuration 1 "HP Photosmart C5200 series" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 3
You decided to use LPD spooling system. The role of the spooling system is to establish a queue for printing jobs so that if the device is busy because it is printing somebody else job your job doesn't get dropped (this thing is irrelevant on single user OS like Windows (multi user OS only recently).

You set up a /etc/printcap which will establish LPD queue.

Code:
lp|HP|HP-PhotoSmart_C5200:\
        :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
        :if=/etc/foomatic-rip/script.sh:\
        :sh:sd=/var/spool/output:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
The trickiest part of the /etc/printcap is the input filter section (if line). In my case it is a magic script. Why? Because my printer speaks only Printer Command Language PCL so the Input Filter has to do 3 things. Detect the type of the file sent to printer, call conversion program which will convert the file to PostScript, and finally pass PostScript code through driver which which will convert to a low level language understandable by printer in my case PostScript.

In the past the most common Input Filter was foomatic-rip (which is just a Perl script) but they dropped support for LPD thus I have to fake it with the script.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/bin/a2ps -BRq --columns=1 -o - | \
        /usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip -P HP-PhotoSmart_C5200 --ppd /etc/foomatic-rip/direct/hp-photosmart_c5200_series-hpijs.ppd

So let us understand what above script (which is called by my Input Filter line from printcap is doing)

It calls a2ps which magically convert any file to post script. Then pipes it to foomatic-rip which parses PPD (PostScript Printer Description) which give instruction which driver from HPIJS set needs to be used to convert the stream to Printer Command Language. That is it.

Now if above seems complicated there is an easy way out. Get a use printer for $50 in U.S. which speaks PostScript. Use a2ps to send files to printer and use use default printcap file which comes with OpenBSD.

It seems that you opted for hardest option and decided to use printer which needs to be injected with firmware before it can even understand low level proprietary language. For that you will need to do little bit more reading.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2014
More noise than signal

In my case, I am using CUPS with my HP printer -- one that "speaks" Postscript natively -- due to limitations with input feed tray selection by printcap with lpd. Oko and I discussed it on the misc@ mailing list here.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th November 2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: typo
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2014
Arp Constable

You may be going where no OpenBSD user has gone before.

The OpenPrinting Data Base for your model recommends the second party driver http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/. This same party supplies a driver for the ZjS streaming protocol for which there is an OpenBSD port: print/foo2zjs.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an OpenBSD, FreeBSD or NetBSD port for foo2qx. You may want to contact the print/foo2zjs maintainer, Antoine Jacoutot. Antoine Jacoutot is a prolific and skilled porter. Given that the source code comes from the same site, Antoine may have already attempted the port.

Last edited by shep; 16th November 2014 at 03:23 AM. Reason: edit: grammer and spelling
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2014
Spam Deminer

Thanks for the input.
@shep
Quote:
You may be going where no OpenBSD user has gone before.
I am trying to set this one up, because it is a very good, and expensive, high quality printer. If I cannot, I shall buy a printer more suitable for the system and shed a tear for this one.

@jggimi
Quote:
I didn't see anything else referring to a blob in your post. This is not possible.*
Perhaps a Linuxism on my part. HP calls it a binary plug-in. In the past I have had to install it with HPLIP.

Quote:
It appears to me that some 5.5 packages still remain installed after upgrading to 5.6.
I was afraid of something like that. Everything appeared to go well with pkg_add -u. In the next few days I shall try to hunt down the problem and fix it. (Probably delusions of grandeur.)

Quote:
This fails because of a typo.
I am following the instructions in Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition. Or perhaps I should say trying to follow. I shall re-read the section and man page.

@Oko
Quote:
Based upon your post my conclusion is that you are totally confused.
That would not surprise me.
I want to set up a printer for home use connected to a laptop via USB cable. I could not find any references in the documentation I have been reading explicitly concerning such a set-up. Everything refers to setting up a print server. Since OpenBSD documentation, at least most of what I read, tends to refer to the system as a server, I was hoping a simple set-up followed the same procedure. Hence my (great?) confusion. (Nicely detailed post by the way. Thanks.)

When I have time to fiddle more and perhaps buy another printer, I shall update the thread with the results.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
Perhaps a Linuxism on my part. HP calls it a binary plug-in. In the past I have had to install it with HPLIP.
Ah. I use print/hplip and its hplip-gui subpackage. It requires print/cups. Once cups is installed, lpd(8) becomes unavailable, and the executable file gets moved to /usr/sbin/lpd.pre-cups.
Quote:
I am following the instructions in Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition. Or perhaps I should say trying to follow.
It's lpd, not ldp. You had transposed letters in /etc/rc.conf.local.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th November 2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: I never submit without at least one typo.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2014
Arp Constable

You may be in luck. The plist for print/foo2zjs indicates that the driver supports your printer

Quote:
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_M1005_MFP.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_M1120_MFP.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_M1319_MFP.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_P1005.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_P1006.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_P1007.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_P1008.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_P1505.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_P1505n.ppd.gz
share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_P2014.ppd.gz
The print/foo2zjs README has these instructions
Quote:
$OpenBSD: README,v 1.4 2013/12/12 14:50:30 ajacoutot Exp $

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Running ${FULLPKGNAME} on OpenBSD
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Before using foo2zjs you may need to get some extra files from the web:
ICM profiles (for color correction) and/or firmware using the command
${TRUEPREFIX}/share/doc/foo2zjs/getweb

Then copy the downloaded file(s) into the corresponding directory under
${TRUEPREFIX}/share/foo2*

If your printer requires a firmware load and attaches as ugen(4) device,
run the following command as root each time the device is powered up:
cat ${TRUEPREFIX}/share/foo2zjs/firmware/XXX.dl > /dev/ugenN.EE
-> XXX is your printer firmware name
-> /dev/ugenN.EE is the ugen(4) device (N) and endpoint (EE) of your
printer (which can be found using `sudo usbdevs -vd`)
Alternatively, hotplugd(8) attach/detach scripts can automate this.

Firmwares for some printers are available in the sysutils/firmware/ulpt
port and will be installed under /etc/firmware/. If your printer
attaches as ulpt(4) device the firmware will be loaded automatically.
The HPopensource site also indicates that the hplip software supports your printer (there is also HP Laserjet P1007w that does not require firmware).

A recent howto LPD Printing, from Oko also suggests that that you may be able to set this up using lpd(8). lpd(8), as compared to print/cups is simple, elegant and provides some insight into spools and print filters

Last edited by shep; 16th November 2014 at 08:17 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2014
Spam Deminer

A couple of things have been sorted out.
The typo: When I made my notes, I only made one typo. Of course, it was in a shell command. So the /etc/rc.d/lpd issue was easily taken care of.

Un-updated packages: That issue is also fixed. I believe I know what happened. I use a Japanese mirror, but for some reason the system wants to use inode Australia. I usually need to run export PKG_PATH= every time I want to install something, and occasionally it still tries Australia before using the Japanese mirror. My guess is, when I installed hpcups and tried to install CUPS, the 5.5 Australian mirror was used instead of the 5.6 Japanese mirror. At any rate, that issue has been rectified.

/var/log/ldp-errs now has messages.
Code:
Nov 17 13:43:20 randicus lpd[21298]: restarted
Nov 18 09:36:54 randicus lpd[10350]: restarted
Nov 18 21:03:50 randicus lpd[27445]: restarted
Nov 19 11:53:07 randicus lpd[5305]: restarted
Nov 20 11:33:59 randicus lpd[4515]: restarted
Nov 21 11:39:09 randicus lpd[632]: restarted
Not of any help, but a step in the right direction. Before I go any further with Ports and who knows what else, I am going to look at the selection of cheap printers available in this area and check them for BSD friendliness. I am used to installing drivers with CUPS, but would like to try the lpd route. If I understand the descriptions correctly, foomatic packages include basic drivers. Correct or another misunderstanding?
Old 22nd November 2014
Administrator

Re: Cheap printers

Instead of getting a cheap consumer type of printer, you could look into a refurbished professional printer. Usually those have Postscript.
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Re: Cheap printers

Instead of getting a cheap consumer type of printer, you could look into a refurbished professional printer. Usually those have Postscript.
What do you mean by "cheap".?Those printers that you get for free when you by a computer in Walmart just to find out that you will be spending $25 for ink cartridges a month to print 18-32 pages.

A decent work group printer in U.S. can be found for $75-$100 typically with less than 30-40 thousand pages. Get a toner for $40-$50 and you are good for 12K pages. I call that cheap.
Old 22nd November 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
But I live in China. I would not trust anything used. I would be willing to buy another professional quality printer, if I knew there would be no problems using it. I bought this one when I was using Linux. Before buying it, I checked the website of the distribution I was using, Debian, to make sure it was supported before shelling out the money. Fortunately, it still worked without issue when I switched to Slackware. The reason I am considering another printer is the binary blob this one has makes it a major pain in the backside to install, if it can be, with OpenBSD. My biggest problem is not knowing which hardware is good to use with BSD. That will take some research. Again, if I understand things correctly, I have the choice of lpd or CUPS. lpd looks interesting to me, so I would also like to use it instead of CUPS, if I can. Obviously it will be a while before I have a working printer, because I have considerable learning to do.
Old 22nd November 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
What do you mean by "cheap".?Those printers that you get for free when you by a computer in Walmart just to find out that you will be spending $25 for ink cartridges a month to print 18-32 pages.

A decent work group printer in U.S. can be found for $75-$100 typically with less than 30-40 thousand pages. Get a toner for $40-$50 and you are good for 12K pages. I call that cheap.
Definitely. Cheap printers are only cheap if only printing a couple dozen pages a year. My previous printer lasted at least 30,000 pages before it wore out. The purchase price was much higher than the cheap printers, but in the end, it was much cheaper.
Old 22nd November 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
I use a Japanese mirror, but for some reason the system wants to use inode Australia. I usually need to run export PKG_PATH= every time...
pkg_add(1) will use /etc/pkg.conf if the environment variable is not set. This file can be created at install/upgrade automatically. See pkg.conf(5).

You may still be able to use this printer. But if it requires the firmware/"binary plug-in" to be installed by hplip, you'll need CUPS rather than lpd.

Quote:
Not of any help, but a step in the right direction.
You can start lpd with the -l flag to increase logging information.
Old 22nd November 2014
Spam Deminer

Ah, yes. /etc/pkg.conf is still using an Australian mirror. I thought running
Code:
export PKG_PATH=mirror
changed that file. Apparently it is a temporary setting. I shall edit the file manually.
Quote:
But if it requires the firmware/"binary plug-in" to be installed by hplip, you'll need CUPS rather than lpd.
That part was obvious. And I may still try it, depending on whether or not I get another printer. To be honest, I feel a little insulted that HP put that so-called plug-in requirement into the printer. It is only a printer after all, not some special equipment that the workings of which must be kept secret. If they make me jump through hoops to get it working, they are not enthusiastic about keeping my business.
Old 22nd November 2014
ISO Quartermaster

Ironic that you say that about HP--earlier today, in a printer thread on a Tokyo based Linux list, we were discussing how HP and Brother both make it fairly easy to use their equipment with Linux (and generally with the BSDs as well.)

I think that all of us who use a BSD--shucks, and those who use LInux as well, basically anyone who doesn't use WIndows or Mac for everything--would agree. Making it harder to use your product doesn't seem like good business.
Old 22nd November 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Ironic that you say that about HP--earlier today, in a printer thread on a Tokyo based Linux list, we were discussing how HP and Brother both make it fairly easy to use their equipment with Linux (and generally with the BSDs as well.)
A few years ago I called Brother customer service in Japan asking for clarification of tech spec of one of their group work printers just to find out a fellow BSD user on the another line However the real reason might be more pragmatical. Little bird told me some printer manufacturers (lets not name the names) are using NetBSD for built in printer controllers
Old 28th November 2014
Spam Deminer

Now that my package installation problem has been solved, I installed CUPS and HPLIP. I cannot go further than that, because http://localhost:631/ is inaccessible. I thought it might be due to my location, so I tried it with a proxy service.
Quote:
The URL you're attempting to access is blacklisted by this server.
So CUPS is out, at least temporarily.

But I may not need to worry about HP. I found a printer that is almost half as expensive as comparable printers. I figured there must be a catch. The machine is a Samsung ML-2161. The oldest model on Samsung's website is ML-5015! So apparently the catch is the printer is very old stock. That may be a good thing, since there should not be any problem with drivers, if Samsung has decent BSD support. Which brings up the next question. Would veteran BSD users consider Samsung and foomatic to have an amicable relationship?
Old 28th November 2014
Spam Deminer

localhost:631 is a cups daemon running on the local machine on port 631, you would not try to access that via a proxy server...

If you can't access it it's likely because it's not running.
Old 28th November 2014
More noise than signal

During installation of cups, you were notified that /etc/rc.d/cupsd was installed. That's the startup script for cupsd, the daemon that runs cups, and provides a webserver at port 631 on "localhost", which is the domain name for IP address 127.0.0.1, the loopback address.

To start cupsd at boot, add the following to your /etc/rc.conf.local file:
Code:
pkg_scripts=cupsd
The pkg_scripts variable is a list of 3rd party /etc/rc.d scripts, in the order you want them started at boot time. See rc.d(8) and rc.conf.local(8).