DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2011
New User

Default How apply diff patch...

Hi,
I've installed OpenBSD 4.9 on a Netbook AOD255E and for resolve the problem with my Ethernet Card I should to install
a new patch diff : "http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129595134124076&w=2"
So, I'm newbie and need some help to known in which way to do that :
-Should I copy all content between two Index: share/man/man4/alc.4 text from the RCS line "RCS file: /cvs/src/share/man/man4/alc.4,v" until the next index and paste it in a file name /cvs/src/share/man/man4/alc.4 ?
-Then the following :
Code:
# cd /cvs/src/share/man/man4/
# patch -p0 < 001_st.patch (with the name of patch) alc.4
Yeah, I don't known it seems only manpages ???
and rebuild the kernel, like : "http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BldKernel"

I've just checked google and some openbsd faq, but in the beginning is hard to find quickly to right infos.

Any help will be appreciated,
Best regards
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshadow View Post
I've installed OpenBSD 4.9 on a Netbook AOD255E and for resolve the problem with my Ethernet Card I should to install
a new patch diff : "http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129595134124076&w=2"
diff(1) output posted to the tech@ mailing list is expected to be patched against -current. If you installed OpenBSD 4.9-release, you may well create an unstable or non-functioning system. Officially, the project would not support such a mixture of different versions.

If you are unclear as to the differences between -release & -current, study Section 5.1 of the FAQ.

Patching is discussed in Section 10.15 of the FAQ.

If you have an interface using the alc(4) driver & wish to see if newer code resolves any issues, install a snapshot of -current first. At that point, you can decide whether you want to apply any diffs found on tech@.

Lastly, the diff mentioned in your link above is dated January 2011 & affects the CVS version 1.8 of src/sys/dev/pci/if_alc.c. This diff is quite old, & may or may not apply as expected given that the most recent version is 1.12.

There has been more recent discussion regarding this interface on tech@:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&w=2&r=1&s=alc&q=b

My suggestion would be to study more recent discussion before installing a snapshot of -current if you feel newer code may be worth testing. After installing -current, you will have a platform in which you can test diff's posted to tech@ if you so choose.

Last edited by ocicat; 18th May 2011 at 08:14 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2011
Banned

That is a patch to a man page, if you don't comprehend the concept of source code.. you should not be using OpenBSD.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
That is a patch to a man page...
Patching the alc(4) manpage is only one of several files patched by the diff.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2011
Banned

For adding support for the controller, patching the man page is a very low priority.. this person has also posted on the mailing lists a similar ignorance of how things work, focusing a lot of "alc.4" which is a very irrelevant part of the diff.

I'd recommend that the OP take some time to read the diff, among other things.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2011
More noise than signal

I'm confused. I think this has gone way off-topic.

First, the patch revises the man page, inline documentation in kernel configurations (GENERIC and RAMDISK_CD for both i386 and amd64), inline doc for sys/dev/pci/files.pci, and then, finally, makes significant functionality additions to sys/dev/pci/if_alc.c and then supporting variable changes to sys/dev/pci/if_alcreg.h.

-----
With that out of the way...

The functional patch to if_alc.c was against version 1.8. The 4.9-release version of if_alc.c is version 1.10. This patch was created prior to 4.9-release.

Not only that...

This patch was fitted to -current and committed to the OpenBSD source tree approximately 22 hours ago, as version 1.12.

A snapshot built later today or tomorrow will include it. A build of -current from a freshly updated source tree will include it.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2011
More noise than signal

Some additional information OpenBSD admins need to know, that may not be obvious from my previous posting:
  • OpenBSD is source code maintained. To make changes to OpenBSD source code, an admin needs to understand the tools used for managing OpenBSD source: cvs(1), diff(1), and patch(1). The OpenBSD Project uses unified diffs only, by the way: diff -u is mandatory when creating patch files.
  • OpenBSD admins need to understand the flavors of OpenBSD, the release lifecycle, and how cvs is used to manage these. A cvs log for an individual file must be understandable: the revision history and associated tags need to be understood.
  • Any patch which is to be applied to a different source code version will likely require manual integration. In this case, Darshadow would likely have to revise the patch to be able to apply it to 4.9-release, since it was developed against 4.8-current.
Understanding FAQ 5 is also a necessity.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2011
New User

All your messages were useful to me! After reading FAQs, man pages for some command and many other things in openbsd.org I understood a little more so that I could apply the patch.

Thanks a lot for your help!