DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

yes I have sent PR. but I don't have a core that I can debug and supply a backtrace. (someone asked). I have two cores which I believe were caused by GEOM. But don't know what to do with them.

IMHO I think that there is an issue with g_vfs_done with my specific configuration. Or maybe the configuration of the drives - I got that "cannot use BIOS cyl/head/track calculating my own" message from BSD. I just went with what BSD suggested.

Its too bad because BSD performs very very well.
Old 25th June 2008
Port Guard

As an update I have managed to build a debug kernel and look at the cores. Nothing spectacular it looks pretty random to me. Today I got a core dump as well....and I'm not running gmirror! So the problem is more fundamental. I have done some tests and seems fairly random...as if there is a random memory or meta-data problem.

I was running the disks in dedicated mode? Where my mount is something like /dev/ad4 instead of /dev/ad4s1d. the BSDLabel looked pretty funny to me.
two partitions, one large one at a small offset and then a large one at 0. which looked suspicious-probably a left over from gmirror label?

So I've now gone into sysinstall and fdisk and label options and redone the disks. Will have to see how that runs. I've still got to finish it off tomorrow...
Old 27th June 2008
Port Guard

Well a further update. and possible termination of the thread. I have put xubuntu on the system and performed my tests..(copying large files around the disk) and I haven't encountered the problem yet. So far it seems quite stable...if a bit heavy and slow..a price to pay for a stable disk I suppose. :|

Will make the RAID over the weekend...but so far it has passed the stable disk I/O system so far...and it can handle my KVM quite nicely.
Old 27th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Definitely you should try with FreeBSD 7.0 STABLE. because RELEASE are known to have various problems.
Old 27th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_elvis2000 View Post
kernel : ad6 : FAILURE - device detached
kernel : subdisk6: detached
kernel : ad6 : detached
kernel : GEOM_MIRROR : device dat : provider ad6 disconnected.
kernel : g_vfs_done():mirror/dats1d[READ(offset=196937613312, length=16384)]error=6
Sounds like the hard disk/interface has a loose pin or contact to me