DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Default CVS server question

I need to set a CVS server at work. No buts! We use some proprietary "gmake-magic" tools which only work with CVS.

I have a silly question. I have used CVS many years and set up real CVS server on few occasions always using SSH for network access without giving a second tought. However recently I set up our internal Subversion server using svnserve and I am very happy as I didn't have to give system accounts to people. Obviosly this will work only for people who are on the same LAN/VPN subnet.

I started playing with a pserver CVS mode late last night and I am a bit confused probably due to the lack of sleep. Reading through documentation seems to indicate that pserver works similarly to svnserve. However when I set it up I had troubles checking out the code as it seems to expect existance of a system account with the same userneme as a CVS account.

Could a kind soul clarify this for me please? Maybe I am just very tired and misconfigured things.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

I am going to answer my own question. pserver my look similar to svnserve but is clearly ancestor in terms of capabilities. Using pserver is just not worthy. Namely fine access control is not possible and password file which looks something like

username:crypted-password:system-username

works by mapping CVS user into a genuine user with the system account.

Tags
cvs