DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2014
Port Guard

Default Error: /dev/sd1h full

Okay, third install of OpenBSD in 1-1/2 days, I'm going to be paying to install OpenBSD again, I only have ~gigabyte of download left .

Installing packages, I ran into a problem:

Code:
Error: /dev/sd1h is not large enough [/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/{package_name}]

Error: ... more files do not fit on /dev/sd1h
Is there ANYthing that can be done short of re-installation? It seems as if growfs expects, according to previous posts, adjacent free space in which to grow; has that changed?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2014
Port Guard

So, I've decided to re-install rather than deal with a full /usr/local; however, I am having trouble finding out how to compute sizes in disklabel

In disklabel -E sd0
Code:
>p
lists the partitions... what is the default view in size: bits, bytes, kilobits, kilobytes?

I've been reading the OpenBSD 5.5 Installation Guide and the OpenBSD manual pages (specifically fdisk(8) and disklabel(8)) and have had no luck finding out relevant information.

Example:
Code:
>p
          size               offset        fstype
b        4256876        2097126   swap
and

Code:
>p g
         size                offset        fstype
b       2.0G               2097126   swap
So, I went to a bit calculator and tried doing some addition and subtraction and cannot seem to figure it out.

2 gigabytes (i.e., 2G):
Code:
2 gigabytes
(informal notation: kilobyte = 1024 bytes)
bits 	                   17179869184
bytes 	           2147483648
kilobits 	           16777216
kilobytes 	           2097152
megabits 	           16384
megabytes 	   2048
gigabits 	           16
gigabytes 	           2
terabytes 	           0.001953125
petabytes 	           1.9073486328125e-06
The problem is: When I try to change the size ('R' within disklabel -E, with auto-allocation), I must do it in the lowest form; I have tried to grow a partition by 10G by entering:

Code:
>R
partition to resize: [] h
[+ | -] new size (with unit): [20971520] 10485760
>
And I do not receive a 10G increase.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2014
More noise than signal

The disklabel default is sectors, however you can use bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, and even cylinders.

When displaying disklabels, you do this with -p [unit].

When editing disklabels, for either starting sector or number of sectors, you can just just add the unit type immediately after the value: 10g = 10 gigabytes, 3t = 3 terabytes, 1200c = 1200 cylinders, etc.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The disklabel default is sectors, however you can use bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, and even cylinders.

When displaying disklabels, you do this with -p [unit].

When editing disklabels, for either starting sector or number of sectors, you can just just add the unit type immediately after the value: 10g = 10 gigabytes, 3t = 3 terabytes, 1200c = 1200 cylinders, etc.
Thank you... after digging in the help/man pages, I found this information and was able to create an acceptable structure, kind of... I am still unsure about how much space /usr, /usr/obj, etc. needs.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2014
More noise than signal

There is only the standard answer: "It depends."

The automatic allocations are based on size, as described in the AUTOMATIC DISK ALLOCATION section of the disklabel(8) man page.

I don't think I've ever used the automatic partitioning. I was a user long before it was a feature of disklabel(8) and I always have had very specific partition requirements. Even today, there are decisions it would make for me that I would not use. For example: I don't use an FFS partition for /tmp. I use mount_tmpfs(8) for /tmp and /var/run, and for systems where I build releases I also use mount_tmpfs for /usr/obj and /usr/xobj. On systems where I don't build releases I don't have /usr/obj and /usr/xobj directories in separate partitions at all, as they normally remain empty and unused.