DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th December 2018
Port Guard

Default *BSD pure terminal mouse copy & paste software

A *BSD was my first other OS in college (1990s) and I'm trying to switch back to using them more. One feature that now seems missing is being able to copy & paste text with the mouse on pure terminals (non-X.) GNU/Linux has the gpm package that allows that, just by selecting text, later pressing your main mouse button (on any terminal) which pastes it back in. I found it very useful but for example on FreeBSD, the mouse seems useless... or can you do the same as with gpm? (on any classic *BSD) I'd also like to get rid of the GUI-style cursor and just change it back to a block.

Last edited by dchmelik; 26th December 2018 at 08:12 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th December 2018
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchmelik View Post
One feature that now seems missing is being able to copy & paste text with the mouse on pure terminals. GNU/Linux has the gpm package that allows that, just by selecting text, later pressing your main mouse button (on any terminal) which pastes it back in. I found it very useful but for example on FreeBSD, the mouse seems useless... or can you do the same as with gpm? (on any classic *BSD) I'd also like to get rid of the GUI-style cursor and just change it back to a block.
Hi,

I copy and paste text from urxvt by highlighting the text and pasting with the middle button. I can copy a URL and paste it in the terminal to use youtube_dl, from one terminal to another, from a text editor into the terminal or the terminal into a text editor. What you're copying from needs to have focus I believe.

I have the block style cursor with FreeBSD in both urxvt and the login terminal.

Last edited by Trihex; 25th December 2018 at 11:09 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th December 2018
More noise than signal

OpenBSD has wsmoused(8).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th December 2018
Too dumb for a smartphone

NetBSD also has wsmoused, but note that the configuration is not identical to that on OpenBSD.

It has been a while since I played with wsmoused (on NetBSD), but last I recall it only worked on text consoles, not the graphics-based framebuffer or drmkms ones. This made it nearly useless.