DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2008
Port Guard

Default Make YOUR user SU

for some reason DesktopBSD says that im System Admin. BUT... i cant even save a file outside of my home folder. is there a way i can make it so my user controls EVERY SINGLE thing on my system?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2008
Arp Constable

Well, I would guess you could run vipw as root and change your UID to 0, in effect making your user account another 'root'.

That is not a secure way of doing things though and typically unless performing some administrative function you usually don't have to leave your home directory.

Unless DesktopBSD has some funky K-Menu there should also be a way to launch Konqueror in "Super User mode' which is run as root !

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Banned

@TerryP, Why even give someone instructions to do that? hehe..

Using a super-user account "all the time" is careless and.. insecure, consider an alternative method please, like, sudo or su.

Take care..
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Firstly to the OP (original poster) DON'T DO WHAT TERRY SAID!! He was, I think, being lighthearted, and as he's one of the nicest people on these forums, I suspect it was a joke.

Folks, let's all be careful what we tell newcomers, even in fun.

One of the main DesktopBSD people is on these forums (though as he's in Europe, he's probably sleeping now) and can probably give a better answer, but my guess is that you're supposed to use sudo. However, I really don't know, not having used DesktopBSD in awhile. In that case, it would be similar to a Mac or Ubuntu, where you have admin rights, to a point, but if dealing with directories outside of your home directory, you'd have to use sudo.

Again, that's only a guess.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Arp Constable

Yeah Scottro, he probably would throw pies at me :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottro
DON'T DO WHAT TERRY SAID!!
that is an understatement but you are being polite ^_^

> @TerryP, Why even give someone instructions to do that? hehe..

@BSDfan666 Because he asked how.

The fact that it's _not_ a great idea is beside the point, as long as he owns the computer anyway, it's his to take care of.

I did mention using the file manager with root permissions instead, because that's usually the best way to use a KDE install if you don't want to su - root or use sudo all the time.

In my defense,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Allman
Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure.
Like C, it assumes your able to tell the difference between smart, stupid, and best compromise of both hehe.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Now now. I reiterate, when we speak to newcomers, they don't always realize when we're kidding. Suppose one of us had never driven a car, and someone said, jokingly, the pedal on your right is what slows it down. We're not stupid, we're just uneducated in driving cars.

That's why I feel we should just be careful. Terry is one of the nicest folks on these forums, but we tend to forget how folks might think we know what we're talking about and take a lighthearted statement of ours as the answer, the same way we might trust our silly friend who tells us, yeah, the pedal on the right slows it down.

(At least in the US, the pedal on the right in an automatic shift car is the accelarator, which makes it go faster.)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Port Guard

yes, i do know about SU and SUDO. but i think it would get a little difficult doing everything i wanted in terminal as root ALL the time. is there a way i could login as root, do what i need to to and then swtich out. i cant login from the main login screen, for it is disabled. is there an alternate route. SU only makes u root in terminal? correct? and SUDO? care to explain SUDO? or shall i look it up...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Ok, so if I understand your somewhat cryptic post correctly, you would like to become the root user in the graphical shell, not just in a single terminal window?

You can use kdesu for KDE, for gnome there's gsu or gtksu or something, not sure...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Port Guard

would i have to download kdesu through ports?
Old 4th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

No, it's part of KDE, it's not present on your system?

Which Window manager are you using anyway?
Port Guard

i am using KDE. is there a specific version? a way to check this version?
Old 5th June 2008
Arp Constable

IF DesktopBSD hasn't removed it, KDE's K-Menu should also has the ability to run Konqueror (the file manager / web browser in KDE3) as "in Super User Mode", if not you can always create an icon on the desktop that executes

kdesu konqueror

(for security you might wish to write the file paths to the programs)

You are probably running KDE 3.5.x.

Most KDE apps (such as kedit) will tell you their version, KDEs version, and Qts version when called on the command line as 'appname --version', some apps do so in the about KDE dialog !, pkg_info has a list, and so on, KDE's control center also tells you it's version.

Using konqueror as root while logged into the desktop as your normal user is probably the best way to manage the system if you don't want to use the terminal.

There is an app called gksudo as well as a kdesudo that use sudo instead of su, in the way that kdesu does -> but kdesu is what comes with KDE.

Old 5th June 2008
Port Guard

im on KDE 3.5.8. i cant find any tools with any relation to SU or SUDO. i have no idea why. would u happen to know the specific directory the tool is in? any of them?
Old 5th June 2008
Arp Constable

DesktopBSD is FreeBSD based so KDE programs (and stuff from ports in general) would be located in /usr/local/bin and or /usr/local/sbin/

Old 5th June 2008
Port Guard

so KDESU wouldnt be in my applications menu?
Old 5th June 2008
Arp Constable

KDESU wouldn't be directly in the menu, because it needs to know what program to run as root before it can be run itself. I.e. it has to be run as 'kdesu appname' not 'kdesu'

If you click 'run' in the K-Menu and hit 'Advanced' you can do the same thing as kdesu using the run dialogs 'run as another user' thing.

Creating a desktop or panel icon to run 'kdesu konqueror' and so on for diff apps you want to start as root isn't to tricky to setup though. Just make sure there is a decent password on the root account if many people are often around your logged in PC, when your not ;-)

I don't do it for kdesu wrappers... but I've always found it best to put very often used apps in quick reach via a button or icon (y).

Old 5th June 2008
Local

@seadog109:

I'd also add that you can fire up a terminal, then use su -m (which preserves environment). After entering root's password and receiving your command prompt you should be able to launch X applications as root... which in most cases you probably shouldn't be doing anyway.
Port Guard

it didnt work for me. i finally understand what your saying.. but it just didnt run the program
Old 7th June 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog109 View Post
im on KDE 3.5.8. i cant find any tools with any relation to SU or SUDO. i have no idea why. would u happen to know the specific directory the tool is in? any of them?
kdesu is part of the kdebase3 port, which is required for any and all KDE applications to work. Hence, if you are using KDE, you have kdesu installed.

To use it, from the K menu (start menu), select Run, then type kdesu <nameofapp>. That will pop up a dialog asking for the root password. If you enter it correctly, then <nameofapp> will run as root.

Alternatively, you can create an icon on your desktop, point it at the app you want to run, and then put kdesu in front of the app name in the Execute line.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 18th October 2008
Shell Scout

KDESU = KDE3
GKSUDO = GNOME/XFCE
KDESUDO = KDE4