DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default Package Synchronization for GStreamer

Greetings:

Been awhile. Hope all is well.

I've been updating myself via snapshots; and noticed a slight difference in the number of packages associated with gstreamer from snapshot to "4.6"

(i..e, ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/sn...packages/i386/ - referred onwards as the "snapshot directory", since I haven't mastered the correct terminology -
versus
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/packages/i386/ -referred onwards as the 4.6 directory)

Noticed more pkgs and plugins in the 4.6 directory. Here are my n00b questions as to why:

1) If I have recalled correctly in presuming that most "dev" work is being done/ported to "snapshot" (or -current, am I right?). Should all the "active and viable" packages from the 4.6(release, am I right?) directory be listed in the snapshot directory?

2) If so, are they? Seems like the "bad" and "ugly" gstream plugins were repackaged in the "4.6 directory" due to dependencies. If that were the case, is it logical to presume that "snapshot directory" be arranged in the similar manner?

Thanks in advance
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
If I have recalled correctly in presuming that most "dev" work is being done/ported to "snapshot" (or -current, am I right?).
Most all new work (outside of patches & some changes backported to -stable & -release...) goes into the head of the CVS tree which is -current.
Quote:
Should all the "active and viable" packages from the 4.6(release, am I right?) directory be listed in the snapshot directory?
Most likely not given that packages in -current are built again & again throughout the development cycle for a number of reasons:
  • Continued changes to the ports themselves.
  • As the system itself is volatile at the head of CVS, so are packages. And the two aren't always synchronized. Those who live on the edge (-current) can expect that there may be times when they have to resort to building packages themselves.
  • Resource constraints. Building all packages in -current just isn't feasible given their short shelf-life. Building most packages for -release (Even in -release not all ports are built into packages for various reasons...) is possible since they only have to be built once every six months.
Re-reading Section 5.1 & Section 15.3 would be time well-spent (even for me... ).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
Banned

The "GStreamer" ports were worked on during the ports hackathon this year, developers worked on reducing the amount of flavours so that it is easier to install.

Not only does this make it easier for users, but easier for them to maintain.

Nothing has been changed in the 4.6 directory, because stable packages are not yet available yet.. and when they are available, no major changes will be backported.

Typically only security and reliability updates, port restructuring breaks things if not carefully done.. so it's done in -CURRENT, where volatility is permitted.

As a general reminder, do not install snapshot packages on 4.6.. and until announced, assume all packages in the 4.6 directory are what was available when the release was tagged (..many months ago).

Last edited by BSDfan666; 11th December 2009 at 06:46 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
As a general reminder, do not install snapshot packages on 4.6...
BSDfan666, IronForge has indicated in the past that he is running -current, so it is correct to be installing -current packages in his situation.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
BSDfan666, IronForge has indicated in the past that he is running -current, so it is correct to be installing -current packages in his situation.
Sorry, I hadn't noticed.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Thank you all:

I just noticed the difference when "pkg_add -ivu" ran into problems - GStreamer plugins couldn't "resolve each other" (for brevity's sake - pardon the lack of details) and displayed a repetitive stream of announcements saying so.

Attempting to delete one plugin forced me to delete all reliant (GS plugins and swfdec) pkgs. Doing so and reinstalling them worked.

While reading the "4.6 Package List" and its description pages, it seemed as if the separation of several "bad" and "ugly" plugin components were the "new way" of working on them. That's all.

Again, thanks!