DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
bsdstudent

Default what kind of error is this ?

Hello there !

Each time I pkg_add something , this line annoyingly prints before the rest :
No pkgname in packing-list for ratpoison-1.4.4p1

so I'd like to ask you if it reveals any inconsistency or issue ..
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
More noise than signal

Once more, this points to a packing list problem of some kind. Is this the same system where you cannot delete bash? Why do I have to ask?

Since the "perfect newbie" thread hasn't helped, please read the "How to create a Problem Report" section in http://www.openbsd.org/report.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
bsdstudent

Thanks for asking jgimmi !!
it's the other successfully upgraded system .. the whole error message :
Code:
No pkgname in packing-list for ratpoison-1.4.4p1
install-info: /usr/local/info/dir: empty file
system(/usr/bin/install-info, --info-dir=/usr/local/info, --, /usr/local/info/ta
r.info) failed: exit(1)
I was installing gnome ralated packages .. the error just shows , it doesn't interfere ..
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
More noise than signal

• /usr/local/info is a repository for packages that install info(1) documentation.
  • Ratpoison is a window manager.
  • 1.4.4p1 is -current as of 17 March.
  • The packing list in the .tgz was created by pkg_create(1), using the port's PLIST and additional information.
  • The pkg_create program is called by the package target in the ports make infrastructure.
Unfortunately that information is all that I know. I don't have a clue what your problem is, because your problem report doesn't tell us much of anything. There's a lot I do not know:
  1. I do not know if this system is i386 or macppc, you've mentioned using both in the past. Perhaps its yet again a different architecture?
  2. I do not know if you are installing from snapshot packages, or if from packages you built yourself, since you have told us you've built from ports.
  3. I don't know if you are running -release on this machine or -current, and if -current, I do not know what particular -current.
  4. I do not even know what you were installing. To call something "gnome related" only limits you to some 700+ different packages.
I'm now going to explicitly state some things you need to do, because neither the "perfect newbie" thread nor the OpenBSD project's instructions I linked to have helped. Please read this carefully, and follow these guidelines:

How to make your problem reports better:
  1. Include a dmesg. This tells us who built the kernel and when, it tells us the hardware architecture, and it tells us about the hardware config. For this particular problem, we didn't even need a complete dmesg; just the output of sysctl kern.version would have answered questions about the flavor and architecture and recency of your system.
  2. Post the commands you use. I haven't a clue what you were installing, and I would never be able to recreate your problem without that.
  3. Provide enough information so that someone might be able to recreate your problem. In this case, if you were installing packages from a mirror, post your $PKG_PATH. Sometimes, the problem can be a bad copy of a file in a mirror.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
bsdstudent

yet another helpful post of @jgimmi's !
Thanks to you , I no longer use release/stable .. and there are always fresh only-current packages to try .. like anki ... :-)
Code:

sudo sysctl kern.version 
kern.version=OpenBSD 5.1-current (GENERIC.MP) #230: Mon Apr  2 12:44:39 MDT 2012
    deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
That line recurs on top , each time I pkg_add something ..
'which ratpoison' gives '/usr/local/bin/ratpoison ..
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
More noise than signal

Post the contents of the file "/var/db/pkg/ratpoison-1.4.4p1/+CONTENTS"
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
More noise than signal

And, since I've asked for one thing explicitly, I may as well continue. Please provide:

The results from $ ls -a /var/db/pkg
The results from # echo $PKG_PATH
The actual command string you are using to get these errors.

Please note, if you DON'T provide sufficient information to recreate your problem, no one will be able to recreate your problem.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2012
bsdstudent

Quote:
if you DON'T provide sufficient information to recreate your problem, no one will be able to recreate your problem.
Thanks jgimmi .. most often in cases like mine (newbie case) , *sufficient information* is not always clear .. hence the always missing/misapproprate info .. only when you pinpoint we learn about ..

Code:
   cat /var/db/pkg/ratpoison-1.4.4p1/+CONTENTS
empty .. eventhough I can xinit /usr/local/bin/ratpoison
# echo $PKG_PATH
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/sn...packages/i386/

Last edited by daemonfowl; 8th April 2012 at 07:56 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
most often in cases like mine (newbie case) , *sufficient information* is not always clear ..
This is not an excuse. You seem to use the term "newbie" as a way to absolve yourself of basic responsibilities. Using OpenBSD means reading & understanding the documentation available.

Think of it this way, daemonfowl:
  • If someone new joins the site & reads one of your threads, are you posting enough information for them to know what architecture you are using, what version of the operating system you are using, & what flavor is used? Posting the content of dmesg(8) at a minimum answers a number of these questions.
  • Posting the exact commands used would be helpful.
  • Explaining why you used the commands, citing relevant manpages will also help others understand your interpretation/misinterpretation of the information contained.
We are going to start enforcing some discipline which means that you may be posting the same information again & again in each new thread. Providing links to where you have provided information before is another option.

Most members here use this site for searching through the archives. Unless links are explicitly provided connecting information in one thread to another, no complete description of your problem exists, & expecting readers to remember the details of all your hardware & software configurations is unrealistic -- especially six months to a year later.

Does this mean more work for you? Yes, but it will also help you frame problems better & help direct you to solving problems yourself. The purpose of this site is to be an aid, not a crutch. You will not learn to become a better adminstrator to your own systems unless you methodically think through (& can justify...) the actions taken.

Last edited by ocicat; 8th April 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 8th April 2012
bsdstudent

Thanks Ocicat ! I've always found your remarks and comments useful and productive and maybe you're right in that I 'seem to use the term "newbie" as a way to absolve (myself) of basic responsibilities' .. supplying needed information isn't harmful nor is it a waste of time.
Old 9th April 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
Code:
   cat /var/db/pkg/ratpoison-1.4.4p1/+CONTENTS
empty...
An "empty" +CONTENTS file indicates, once more, that you have a damaged package database. You now have TWO separate systems with damaged package databases.

Based on all of the information you have been able to share (among your many threads) leads me to the conclusion that something YOU are doing is causing this. What that is, I do not know.
Quote:
.. eventhough I can xinit /usr/local/bin/ratpoison
The package database is only used by the pkg_* utilities.
Old 9th April 2012
More noise than signal

I have a wild guess to make about a possible root cause. My guess: you may have been rebooting your systems without a clean shut down, during pkg_add. Power failure, crash, "hang" and hard reboot .... during a period when packages were being installed.

On restart, the fsck -p run by rc(8) would have corrected simple filesystem errors -- see the list at the top of the fsck_ffs(8) man page.

If you ran fsck manually, with either -y or responding "yes" to a repair, this can have significant impact on file integrity and may have resulted in this problem.

It is just a wild guess, but if fsck has been run on the filesystem housing /var, there will be a "lost+found" directory where recovered file fragments are stored. Inspect those looking for packing lists such as you have seen in the +CONTENTS files.

Old 9th April 2012
bsdstudent

Hi jgimmi ! thank you and sorry if I've wasted much of your time .
After reading your guess I remembered one more thing :
There was a network connection cut while upgrading from ftp .. it occured in the middle of the process (man51.tgz ******* ... ) ..
so I had to reboot first on bsd.old to see things and was ok .. then redid the upgrade .. rebooted .. and ran sysmerge -s etc51.tgz -x xetc51.tgz .. then one more reboot as advised ..
I have no issues here except the recurring line I inquired about :
(this current disk No pkgname in packing-list for ratpoison-1.4.4p1)
I still can install packages (and a few needed ports built successfully)
Old 9th April 2012
More noise than signal

If the number of bytes of the +CONTENTS file is 0, as you indicated, you will not be able to either update or delete ratpoison. This was discussed in your other thread regarding package database errors.

Last edited by jggimi; 9th April 2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added referral