DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2017
Spam Deminer

Default Low traffic to this forum?

With all the news.ycombinator.com etc threads containing openbsd [freebsd] advocates/users within them lately, as well as even on www.reddit.com/r/linux, I wonder why people are not directed here... and/or why it is not more widely known, as the
freebsd forum is to FreeBSD.org users...

Hmm. just checked Openbsd.org No link to click directing to here.

Something to consider?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2017
VPN Cryptographer

IDK, yes the traffic is low. But most of the questions and answer are excellent quality here. Would you really want to see tons of "I'm super ubermensch linux user with 57 years of linux experience with the super duper point and click linux. The installer for netbsd is broke it doesn't work help me now."
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2017
Spam Deminer

This forum is unofficial, I don't think any of the projects link to it.

I agree with roddierod on the traffic issue. Most of the high traffic forums for other operating systems are fuelled by chat and repeat questions, etc.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2017
Too dumb for a smartphone

The NetBSD community page does link here, but of course that sort of thing would be up to each project to decide on.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
This forum is unofficial, I don't think any of the projects link to it.
Correct. This site is not officially affiliated with any of the *BSD projects. We don't speak for them, & they don't speak for us.

The question of whether this site should be affiliated with the various *BSD has come up before, & once the real issues are discussed, ultimately the answer has always been "no".
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2017
parrot

The traffic might be low, but whenever I have had things I needed to ask about OpenBsd, almost all ways the search results I get , point to various topics on this forum,..about 98 % of the time I find a topic that answered my question, and never needed to post,..
There have been a couple of times, the other 2%, where nothing came up in my search, so I did need to post and ask a couple of times.But also got good answers, and nobody tried to make me feel bad for asking.
The other thing is, now I don't know on NetBsd and FreeBsd, have not tried them,..but OpenBsd seems to be very stable and really trouble free, compared with some of the "other" OS's that are
so much more popular, so there is less need to post questions on problems, there are fewer problems, also the user base is lower.
But the problem , as said by:
Quote:
cynwulf > I agree with roddierod on the traffic issue. Most of the high traffic forums for other operating systems are fuelled by chat and repeat questions, etc.
Most of the "high traffic" forums are so full of totally irrelevant junk, and it usually is all related to
the "other" OS's, it is really hard to weed through it all.
I like this forum because it stays specific to the OpenBsd I use, and some of the other BSD's, which on some occasions for example, even though it might be NetBsd, often the info can be applied to OpenBsd as well.
I also use a system called Minix3, and we use a lot of the NetBsd packages,.....but I suppose that
would be a different topic.
Anyway, the "high traffic" forums are usually so full of clutter, it almost makes them useless, or not very pleasant to use, the trolls and others that enjoy what I call "mindless chatter", enjoy hanging out on high traffic forums, not because they need help, or are interested in helping others, but for the entertainment.
So anyway, it is all ways refreshing, and often educational to visit this forum,
thanks

Last edited by PapaParrot; 6th April 2017 at 02:49 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st March 2017
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

The not-so-high traffic here is actually quite nice for a change, compared to all the noise in other venues. And that includes the official mailing lists.

The best way to characterise this place would be as an online user group. Nothing more, nothing less. And with some pretty knowledgeable people to boot.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st March 2017
Spam Deminer

Although it would be nice to have a few more discussions, a lack of discussions is preferable to the silly chatter so common on other sites.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th April 2017
Tcpdump Spy

I "blame" Stack Overflow and associated sites (Super User, unix.SE, vi.SE, etc. etc.)

It's not a bad thing, since IMHO the format of those sites are superior to the forum format in many ways :-)
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
It's not a bad thing, since IMHO the format of those sites are superior to the forum format in many ways :-)
That would be a matter of opinion. I prefer this format, but I'm an old fart and I find this format familiar, the vote up/down questions/answers sites just seem wrong and badly engineered to me... i.e. in that they're designed around "solutions" rather than learning.
Old 28th April 2017
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
That would be a matter of opinion. I prefer this format, but I'm an old fart and I find this format familiar, the vote up/down questions/answers sites just seem wrong and badly engineered to me... i.e. in that they're designed around "solutions" rather than learning.
Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing, is it? :-)

The problem with forums is that you often have to dig through a non-negligible amount of crap to get at that golden nugget, both if you're looking for a solution, but also if you're looking for an interesting question to answer.

I'm not saying that the Q&A format is perfect, or even that Stack {Overflow,Exchange} is the perfect incarnation of it, but in spite of its flaws I've grown rather fond of it over the last few years.
Open Source Software user

I think this forum is low traffic because the people who use OpenBSD are generally more adept at finding the answers to the few problems that crop up.
VPN Cryptographer

Michael Lucas mentions our forum in his book, Absolute OpenBSD, 2nd edition. This forum is invaluable to me; it has helped me out of a jam on several occasions.