DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

Old 10th September 2017
ISO Quartermaster

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...idding-Old-X11
Quote:
GNOME's Mutter Loses Some Of Its X11 Dependence
Written by Michael Larabel in GNOME on 10 September 2017 at 07:31 AM EDT. 16 Comments
GNOME -- One of the interesting Google Summer of Code projects this year associated with the GNOME project was on reworking the Mutter compositor from requiring X11/XWayland code-paths for starting the Wayland compositor.
https://armin-gnome.blogspot.ba/2017...c-wrap-up.html
Old 16th September 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Default http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=X11-Turns-30

Today Marks 30 Years Since The Release Of X11
Quote:
The X11 window system turns 30 years old today! X11 which still lives on through today via the X.Org Server on Linux, BSD, Solaris, and other operating systems is now three decades old.

It was on this day in 1987 that Ralph Swick of MIT announced the X Window System Version 11 Release 1. As explained in the announcement compared to earlier versions of X, X11 offered "This release represents a major redesign and enhancement of X and signals it's graduation from the research community into the product engineering and development community. The X Window System version 11 is intended to be able to support virtually all known instances of raster display hardware and reasonable future hardware, including hardware supporting deep frame buffers, multiple colormaps and various levels of hardware graphics assist."

X11 has been extended many times over the years and with a wealth of extensions not envisioned back in the 80's, but it's still living on. Of course, a codebase of 30 years does bring with it a lot of bugs and security issues have especially come to light in the past few years with the xorg-server.

Wayland continues making more inroads as more compositors begin nearing parity to their desktop support under X11, but the X.Org Server is still expected to live on for years to come for X11 application compatibility for software that may never see native Wayland support, other operating systems lacking all the infrastructure at this time for Wayland, etc.

Happy 30th birthday X11!
Old 16th September 2017
VPN Cryptographer

Wayland vs Xorg Performance

Result: Overall they perform the same with no advantage one over the other.
Old 16th September 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Wayland vs Xorg Performance

Result: Overall they perform the same with no advantage one over the other.
I think general extrapolation of performance is not justified by this test result. It just happens that this specific version of that specific Wayland compositor is approximately the same in the terms of performance than Gnome/X.Org session.
I also think that for OpenBSD community for which security, stability and simplicity (from the point of the developer) are values worth working for, performance should not be mentioned as an only argument for Wayland.
Old 17th September 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Here are some talks about Wayland compared to X.Org:
The Real Story Behind Wayland and X - Daniel Stone (linux.conf.au 2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44

GStreamer Conference 2014 > GStreamer on Wayland Overview
https://gstconf.ubicast.tv/videos/gs...land-overview/

Hello Wayland, Goodbye X11 - The year of the Linux desktop! - Carsten Haitzler - FOSSASIA 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsz7Shbnb9c
Old 7th February 2018
ISO Quartermaster

KDE Plasma 5.12.0 released.

Quote:
There is also an important change of policy: 5.12 is the last release which sees feature development in KWin on X11. With 5.13 onwards, only new features relevant to Wayland are going to be added.

We have put a lot of work into making Wayland support in Plasma as good as possible, but there are still some missing features and issues with particular hardware configurations. Therefore, we don't yet recommend it for daily use. More information is available on the Wayland status wiki page.
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.12.0.php
Old 9th July 2018
ISO Quartermaster

GNOME 3.30 Mutter Relieves Wayland Code From Depending Upon X11/XWayland
Quote:
While GNOME's Wayland support has been in great shape with the Mutter compositor, it has depended upon X11/XWayland code even when starting with pure Wayland support. That's now changing and there is also now the optional "--no-x11" flag for starting the compositor without X11 support.

Going back to 2015 has been this bug report about how the GNOME Wayland session will still spawn XWayland even if no X11 applications are needed with parts of the event loop still depending upon X11. Thanks to a big Mutter rework, that is no longer the case.
Old 28th June 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Red Hat Expecting X.Org To "Go Into Hard Maintenance Mode Fairly Quickly"
Quote:
So in case you didn't read that blog post about Fedora Workstation 31, Red Hat's Christian Schaller says it's their belief that X.Org will soon be going into "maintenance mode" in favor of Wayland.
Old 12th April 2020
ISO Quartermaster

Firefox 75 was released April 7th 2020. Firefox support for Wayland is more and more complete. I use Gnu/Linux and Openbox/X11 at my laptop, but at this point I seriously consider switch to KDE/Wayland.

Firefox 75 Released With Flatpak Support, Wayland Improvements
Quote:
Also significant for Firefox 75 on Linux is Firefox on Wayland having full WebGL and working VA-API support as some long overdue improvements.
X.Org vs. Wayland Browser Performance With Firefox + Chrome

Firefox tips for Fedora 31
Quote:
Fedora 31 Workstation comes with a Firefox backend moved from X11 to Wayland by default. That’s just another step in the ongoing effort of moving to Wayland. This affects GNOME on Wayland only.

Last edited by e1-531g; 12th April 2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Fedora 31 remark
Old 12th April 2020
Marveled user

Damn, Wayland's performances are so disappointing...
Old 12th April 2020
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFrettchen View Post
Damn, Wayland's performances are so disappointing...
Performance have never been an reason Wayland was created.
Phoronix however is an website that focuses on performance*, graphics and gaming. It isn't surprising Phoronix conducted benchmarks and published them.

* graphics but also file system performance, compile times
Old 13th April 2020
Marveled user

Problem is that with more than 10 years of dev, Wayland still offers poor performances.

Ofc, Wayland has superior technology and design, but those don't necessarily mean much for the general users today (remember the RISC vs. CISC war back in the 90's).
Old 13th April 2020
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Problem is that with more than 10 years of dev, Wayland still offers poor performances.
Benchmarks show performance in most test is better for Gnome/Wayland session than Gnome/X.Org. For me even 70% of Gnome/X.Org would be enough to use it.

Quote:
Ofc, Wayland has superior technology and design, but those don't necessarily mean much for the general users today (remember the RISC vs. CISC war back in the 90's).
Wayland's motto is "every frame is perfect". It means it is better suited to prevent tearing, stuttering and other conditions. Wayland make it possible to support technologies like G-Sync and FreeSync.
Wayland is also better suited for current hardware. A lot of people use more than one GPU. It may be desktop with two dedicated GPU cards. It may be laptop with combination of integrated GPU and dedicated GPU (i.e. Nvidia Optimus). A lot of people use more than one monitor. First monitor may have different refresh rate and resolution than the second. First monitor may have HiDPI, while second does not. Wayland is better suited for that environment.
Old 13th April 2020
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Wayland is just a protocol and reference implementation in library. These libraries are used by other people/projects to create Wayland compositors/display servers. Wayland display server is something like X server, but difference is that X server has one widely-used implementation, but there are many Wayland display servers. Gnome provides their own called Mutter. KDE Project provides another called KWin. You can't judge KDE's KWin/Wayland performance based on Gnome's Mutter benchmarks.
Wayland development was started over 10 years ago, but this doesn't mean Gnome team is working on it for over 10 years. I think serious work by Gnome team started about 7 years ago and serious KDE's team work started around 6 years ago. I don't know exactly when Mozilla started some work on supporting Wayland, but I bet it wasn't 10 years ago.
As I said for me performance is good enough. It also shows that Firefox didn't crashed during benchmark which is even more important for me.

BTW When it comes to performance one solution it is to just buy better, faster hardware. I know it is very ugly workaround, but you can't eliminate tearing by changing GPU. The point is first problem has solution, while without Wayland second doesn't.
Old 3rd July 2020
ISO Quartermaster

Important Patches Land To Improve GNOME's Multi-Monitor Experience With High Refresh Rates
Quote:
This branch, while being quite large, has one major aim: split up the frame clock so that on the native backend each CRTC is driven by its own frame clock. In effect this means that e.g. a 144 Hz monitor and a 60 Hz monitor being active in the same session will not have to wait for each other to render. A window on the 144 Hz monitor will paint at 144 Hz, and mutter will composite to the monitor at 144 Hz, while a window on the 60 Hz monitor will paint at 60 Hz and mutter will composite to the monitor at 60 Hz.
Quote:
This work landed today in Mutter for September's release of GNOME 3.38. This next release is shaping up to be quite exciting with the plethora of optimizations to already land thus far. It is important to note that this multi-monitor improvement only benefits the GNOME Wayland session and not under X11.
Old 25th October 2020
ISO Quartermaster

It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware
Quote:
The last major release of the X.Org Server was in May 2018 but don't expect the long-awaited X.Org Server 1.21 to actually be released anytime soon.

This should hardly be surprising but a prominent Intel open-source developer has conceded that the X.Org Server is pretty much "abandonware" with Wayland being the future.
Old 29th October 2020
ISO Quartermaster

Phoronix pointed to article on abandoning the X server
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Adam Jackson"
There's been some recent discussion about whether the X server is abandonware. As the person arguably most responsible for its care and feeding over the last 15 years or so, I feel like I have something to say about that.

The thing about being the maintainer of a public-facing project for nearly the whole of your professional career is it's difficult to separate your own story from the project. So I'm not going to try to be dispassionate, here.
Adam's comments are interesting as well.

Last edited by e1-531g; 29th October 2020 at 07:48 AM. Reason: bbcode fix
Old 17th May 2021
ISO Quartermaster

On January 1, 2021 KDE developer said:
https://pointieststick.com/2021/01/0...dmap-for-2021/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Graham
Production-ready Plasma Wayland session

I’ll be honest: before 2020 the Plasma Wayland session felt like a mess to me. Nothing worked properly. But all of this changed in 2020: suddenly things started working properly. I expect the trend of serious, concentrated Wayland work to continue in 2021, and finally make Plasma Wayland session usable for an increasing number of people’s production workflows.
Fedora Linux 34 is officially here!
Quote:
In Fedora KDE Plasma, we’ve switched from X11 to Wayland as the default.
On the Ubuntu side (default flavour with Gnome):
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/hirsu...se-notes/19221
Quote:
Wayland is now the default on most configurations, which features better security and performance
Meanwhile work on KDE side is still ongoing. They i.e. are working on FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync variable rate refresh functionality and direct scan-out for full-screen windows (performance for games).

Last edited by e1-531g; 17th May 2021 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added more about upcoming changes to KDE 5.22
Old 28th October 2023
ISO Quartermaster

A couple of news from Fedora, one of most recognizable Gnu/Linux distros, and KDE and Gnome, two desktop environment camps on Wayland status

Fedora 40 Eyes Dropping GNOME X11 Session Support
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Fedora...No-X11-Session
Quote:
Fedora developers are looking at offering KDE Plasma 6.0 and KDE Frameworks 6 in next year's Fedora 40 release. With the upgrade to Plasma 6 it's also planned by the Fedora packagers to drop support for the KDE X11 session -- thereby just leaving the KDE on Wayland session.
GNOME Merge Requests Opened That Would Drop X.Org Session Support
https://www.phoronix.com/news/GNOME-MR-Drop-X11-Session
Quote:
A set of merge requests were opened that would effectively drop X.Org (X11) session support for the GNOME desktop and once that code is removed making it a Wayland-only desktop environment.
Biggest obstacle for Wayland adoption are 3rd party apps
So let’s talk about this Wayland thing
https://pointieststick.com/2023/09/1...wayland-thing/
Quote:
lasma and KDE apps work great on Wayland, especially in the upcoming Plasma 6 release. Like I said, there are still a few omissions, but those holes are being plugged very quickly these days.

Most 3rd-party apps that aren’t Wayland-native also work fine via the XWayland compatibility layer. But there are some that don’t, because they integrate very deeply into some part of the system in a way that requires X11 support. These need to be ported to use new Wayland APIs.

A lot of app developers became accustomed to tuning out Wayland news while it was still a toy, and didn’t do the porting work. Well, it’s not a toy anymore, and now many are now feeling blindsided by the sudden urgency to port their apps to use Wayland. That’s understandable. But this time it’s for real, and the time to port is now. For any protocols that still aren’t good enough and need revision, app developers’ input is needed to revise them or even propose new ones. This process takes a long time, so better to start sooner rather than later. But it’s not just gonna go away.
Head_on_a_Stick posted in July about recent Wayland on OpenBSD developments here: https://daemonforums.org/showthread....hlight=wayland
Old 29th November 2023
ISO Quartermaster

Xorg Server should be dead for good by the second half of 2025. Finally
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 Dropping The X.Org Server Except For XWayland
Quote:
Red Hat has formally confirmed what many were thinking: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 will be doing away with X.Org Server support aside from XWayland.

For those making use of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 in a desktop setting, RHEL10 due for release in H1'2025 will be Wayland-focused. X11 client support will only come via XWayland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Soriano Sanchez
This decision will allow us to focus our efforts starting from RHEL 10 solely on a modern stack and ecosystem. This means we will be able to tackle problems such as HDR, increased security, setups with mixed low and high density displays or very high density displays, better GPU/Display hot-plugging, better gestures and scrolling, and so on. We are confident that Wayland will provide a solid platform and we’re excited to work with the community and all of our partners and customers on building the future for Linux.

Tags
compositing, graphics, linux