DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Xen

Well, a search of these forums for Xen returns 0.

Has anyone here successfully gotten freebsd running as a DomU on Xen? Or even any output at all for that matter? I am running under CentOS and all of the tutorial sites are outdated by alot and/or broken links for neccesary files.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2008
ISO Quartermaster

i guess majority is waiting for FreeBSD 8, it should introduce Xen on FreeBSD, finally
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2008
Spam Deminer

FreeBSD 8 will definitely introduce DomU support for Xen. The developer has said that Dom0 may make it in as well.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2008
Administrator

NetBSD has Xen support. See http://www.netbsd.org/ports/xen/
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th October 2008
Risen from the ashes

I've had 32-bit and 64-bit FreeBSD 6.2 and 7.0 running in Xen 3.2 an 3.3 HVM setups, using Debian and Ubuntu for the Xen dom0. Requires hardware virtualisation support in the CPU/chipset, preferably using AMD CPUs, as their hardware virt isn't broken.

I've never bothered trying to get FreeBSD running in a PVM.

However, with the introduction of hardware virtualisation support in all new CPUs, I've given up on the complexity of Xen, and have started using KVM instead.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
I've had 32-bit and 64-bit FreeBSD 6.2 and 7.0 running in Xen 3.2 an 3.3 HVM setups, using Debian and Ubuntu for the Xen dom0. Requires hardware virtualisation support in the CPU/chipset, preferably using AMD CPUs, as their hardware virt isn't broken.

I've never bothered trying to get FreeBSD running in a PVM.

However, with the introduction of hardware virtualisation support in all new CPUs, I've given up on the complexity of Xen, and have started using KVM instead.
Well these are Dual Quad Intel E5405's with virtualization support turned on. I have been trying to get FBSD7 it installed for a couple of days now with no luck. Would you be kind enough to enlighten me how you got it running? I would move to a different virtualization program (VMWare Server 1.X is usually my poison of choice) but we already have 5 CentOS servers running ontop of this for developers.

Worse comes to worse I will have to wait until 8 :-\ (thanks for the heads up on that by the way)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th October 2008
Risen from the ashes

With Intel CPUs, there are a lot of hoops you have to jump through to get FreeBSD running in an HVM. Mainly, you can't use anything older than 7.1, as a bunch of patches went in after the release of 7.0 to make FreeBSD run in Xen HVM on Intel. You'll want to grab a 7-STABLE snapshot CD from October and use that for the install.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.