DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default FreeBSD 7.1 kernel incompatible with a linux program

I'm stuck with using an old program which runs in Informix 7.20 for Linux and I've been running this happily under FreeBSD since 4.10.

Recently I've upgraded the hardware in my server as it's 5 years old and I require the latest kernel so I can use the fast onboard lan.

I was running FreeBSD 6.2 before I started the upgrade, I then upgraded to 6.3 then 7.0. All was fine and I could run my Informix application, but still had no lan support without putting in a card (which is a fall back solution).

Then I upgraded from FreeBSD 7.0 to FreeBSD 7.1-BETA2 through binary. That worked but broke my Informix program. I have narrowed the problem down to the kernel.

I have a full FreeBSD 7.1-BETA2 world/kernel and recompiled ports. If I recompile the old FreeBSD 7.0 kernel on this system then my Informix program works, if I recompile the latest kernel (cvsup'd to RELENG_7) then it breaks.

Could anyone shed some light on what could be the problem in the new kernel?

The Informix program is command line based. I've written a tiny test in the language which creates a file and writes one line. This is how I've been testing the application quickly.

The FreeBSD 7.1 kernel not only breaks running my Informix program but also I cannot compile or load forms using the informix tools.

The backup plan is to just run FreeBSD 7.0 and stick a PCI card in for the network.