DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th July 2015
New User

Default OpenBSD 5.7 Multiple PPPoE with the same Carrier

Hello

I am building a gateway using OpenBSD 5.7 and I end up with a problem that I can not resolve. What I want to implement is a load balancing between 4 vDSL lines with modems in bridge mode and PPPoE connectivity with the carrier.

Service is provided from the same carrier.

My network connectivity is the following. One 1G interface is connected on a managed HP L2 Switch configured as trunk port with tagged VLANs, and each vDSL modem is plugged on the same switch in separate VLANs each on Access ports.

My fist try was to create hostname.pppoe0, 1, 2, 3 but as soon as the first comes up the others don't. Removing pppoe0 from /etc, pppoe1 is going up but not 2 and 3. So my configuration is correct but why I am not able to have all them up?

I also want to try MLPPPoE but I can not find any documentation for that implemented at server space. Trying to implement that in user space I can not find ppp command on my system.

Please advise.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2015
More noise than signal

Welcome back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apsaras View Post
...I can not find ppp command on my system.
Userland ppp(8) and its helper command pppoe(8) were removed at OpenBSD 5.6. The pppoe(4) kernel driver is the only PPPoE provisioning tool currently available.

We have few PPPoE users among our regulars here, so if you do not get useful advice on this forum in the next few days, please consider reposting your question to the OpenBSD misc@ mailing list.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2015
New User

Thank you for quick reply.

I some how managed to have all vDSL up but I an not happy with the solution I found. What I do is to set all pppoe interfaces down and destroy them. After that, I user netstart for each one of them with 5sec delay and interfaces come up.

Unfortunately I found no solution about MLPPPoE yet.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsaras View Post
Unfortunately I found no solution about MLPPPoE yet.
As of 5.6, there isn't one. I don't know anything about MLPPPoE, but mlppp solutions were configurable with the userland program that is no longer available. The software was removed for valid reasons, and there is no direct replacement.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=140711114504015&w=2

If your configuration requires MLPPPoE, you should select an alternate OS. Yes, you can install an old, unsupported version of OpenBSD containing code that has since been removed for reasons of security. But I would not recommend this alternative.

---

Sorry I'm no further help. I've only used vDSL with an ISP-supplied gateway that presented a standard Ethernet NIC to my equipment.

Tags
mlpppoe, openbsd, pppoe