DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2017
parrot

Default Upgrade disaster, but all for the better

I decided to upgrade fro 6.1 to the recent 6.2.
Turned into a disaster, to start with just as I was starting to upgrade my packages, I ran out of band width on my broadband. Middle of the night, no where to get more airtime,
thinking, oh well no big deal, in the morning I could get airtime, and continue ...
I got more airtime, but guess what happens next ?
Power failure, everything shut down as if I pulled the plug. When I tried re-booting, it wouldn't, finally got it to boot, continue with upgrading packages, all done,..but
when I went to start the wm, and typed in 'startx',... Oh no,..something went wrong,
it freezes, and no keyboard , so the only option was to shut off the computer. I know,
ctrl-alt-del, or some other key combination is better, but if the keyboard is no longer
talking to the computer ?,...
So any way, again when I turned it on, it could not boot.... arg !
So I decided to just re-install, but it turned out to be for the best. Before I had been
using the i386 version, and it had been suggested that the amd64 might give me better
performance. So I downloaded the amd64 version, and used it to reinstall, and
YES, the performance is much better, another bonus , I had to many bulky packages any way, many I really did not need or use much.
Just finished installing the few I need, and since I did make 2 backups of my home dir,
I have every thing I had on the old system, it runs like a new computer now,...
So any way it all worked out.
Code:
$ uname -a 
OpenBSD garry.org 6.2 GENERIC.MP#134 amd64
Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2017
Open Source Software user

I've done it both ways, just glad you had the back ups.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2017
More noise than signal

The key sequence ctrl-alt-backspace should kill the X server, if the keyboard is still communicating. See Xorg(1).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2017
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
So any way, again when I turned it on, it could not boot.... arg !
Assuming you'd already backed up your data anyway - you could have tried re-running the upgrade process from installation media or assuming you were upgrading via the ramdisk kernel (bsd.rd) from 6.2-release and could get to the loader prompt, boot to the ramdisk kernel and try again.

I've not seen any performance gains with regard to choosing amd64 over i386, though my hardware is about 10 years old.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
I've not seen any performance gains...
Anyone running OpenBSD/i386 on a 64-bit capable system with more than 3GB of RAM installed should perceive an immediate performance benefit if they are memory-constrained and do any swapping, because i386 is limited to 3GB of usable RAM.

Other benefits I can think of at the moment: a) The increased number of registers available to the instruction set may reduce the number of machine instructions required to complete any compute procedure. b) The expanded size of the registers may offer the same instruction-reduction advantage. c) The doubled internal data bandwidth for memory movement should also result in improved performance.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2017
Spam Deminer

Well as I said my hardware is old and only 2GB of RAM here, so the limit doesn't come into it and it's probably why I don't appreciate the difference (I do still run amd64 though).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2017
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The key sequence ctrl-alt-backspace should kill the X server, if the keyboard is still communicating. See Xorg(1).
That was the problem though, the keyboard was no longer communicating.

Quote:
cynwulf>>--snip--you could have tried re-running the upgrade process from installation media or assuming you were upgrading via the ramdisk kernel (bsd.rd) from 6.2-release and could get to the loader prompt, boot to the ramdisk kernel and try again.
Yes, actually I did try both, at first " upgrading via the ramdisk kernel (bsd.rd) " and
it turned out I needed to have the sets as well, I could not get a internet connection, at that point, so that is when I decided to download the iso and make a boot cd, that also had the sets on it. I guess I could have downloaded the sets and put them on the drive,
in fact that is what I started to do, but it seemed it was easier just to download the installation iso, in 1 shot.
But any way, after all said and done, the performance improvement with the amd64 is
great, very noticeable. So I should have just done that to start with, and I would have saved a whole bunch of time.
Wife is calling me to breakfast, so have to stop here.
thanks on the responses.