DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2015
Shell Scout

Default How to install FreeBSD driver on NetBSD?

Hi everyone,

I was trying to install an Nvidia driver written for FreeBSD on NetBSD and I got this error:

Quote:
make[1]: don't know how to make nv-kernel.o. Stop
Can anyone guide how to fix it?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2015
Spam Deminer

The 'fix' is that you can't install a driver written for one operating system kernel on another.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
...a driver written for one operating system kernel on another.
To elaborate on cynwulf's point, the main *BSD projects (FreeBSD, NerBSD, & OpenBSD...) have had over fifteen years to diverge from each other, & while there are still similarities, drivers designed for one variant are not compatible with another.

Given that nVidia is not interested in releasing the specifics of either their hardware or the software they provide to access chip functionality, there is little interest in the NetBSD & OpenBSD camps to attempt reverse engineering.

Besides, reverse engineering is very difficult & time-consuming.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by notooth View Post
Hi everyone,

I was trying to install an Nvidia driver written for FreeBSD on NetBSD and I got this error:

Can anyone guide how to fix it?
Call NVidia customer service. Their FreeBSD like all their drivers is a proprietary binary blob. No sane OS will allow such drivers in the system. Apparently FreeBSD guys don't care much just like their developers prefer to use OS X and MAC laptops instead of eating their own soup.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2015
Spam Deminer

The nouveau driver for Linux is a reverse engineering attempt. I remember reading about why that has never made it into any *BSD a few years back, but can't remember the specifics (FreeBSD probably because they have the blob - lets just hope nvidia don't suddenly decide that only Linux is 'relevant' and pull the plug - because well proprietary software vendors never do that...).

The old nv driver was an obfuscated mess of code and is now dead.

So if you really care about running a free and open source system and about maintaining stability and security, then crap like the blob driver should be avoided.

If on the other hand you're happy to insert closed binary blobs into your kernel, then just switch to FreeBSD.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2015
Snoozing

Default NVidia Linux stub

In a way, you're running a Linux driver on FreeBSD with the NVidia Linux stub, right? But, that has to be implemented especially for each OS, and then each particular driver, and does not have the generic sense that the OP desires. I think, but I'm not the FreeBSD NVidia expert. Maybe someone else is? I'm curious about how it's all laid out.