DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Fdisk Soldier

Default Stacking softraid(4) disciplines

I'm having some trouble encrypting a softraid(4) mirror at install time. (I realize this may kill my cat.)

Suppose I have two drives, sd0 and sd1. Do I setup a mirror first (attaching as sd2), then encrypt sd2 (attaching as sd3)? Or vice versa, encrypt a single drive, then mirror that? I've tried both ways, and the installation succeeds with both, but result in "no OS found" upon reboot.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
More noise than signal

The bootloader cannot use a stacked softraid(4) structure. Any such structure you deploy must be provisioned post-boot, such as in an rc.local(8) script.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Fdisk Soldier

Let me see if I understand the process (again, assuming physical disks sd0 and sd1):

* Create crypto discipline from sd0 and attach as sd2.
* Install to sd2.
* Boot to system.
* Create mirror discipline from sd0 and sd1, attach as sd3.
* Subsequently reattach sd3 from /etc/rc.local

Does that look accurate? Any finer points I missed, or gross errors?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
More noise than signal

You can't create two softraid(4) drives from the same backing device extents, and you have named sd0 as a backing device twice. You would need two separate RAID disklabel partitions on sd0, and nothing would need to be stacked in that instance.

Perhaps more logically, you could create (and boot from) a mirrored softraid array, and then create a RAID partition in sd2 that you would use for whatever needed to be protected via encryption, such as /home or /var/database. You would use rc.local(8) to script the bioctl(8) and mount(8) commands for mounting the encrypted partition/partitions.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1 Week Ago
Fdisk Soldier

My main goal is really to encrypt an entire mirror, so in the end I just purchased a new (to me) motherboard with mirroring built-in. Problem solved-ish!
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15 Hours Ago
Fdisk Soldier

Is there a reasonable way to setup a second, separate encrypted drive, then make all the same writes to it? Or otherwise keep them both exactly synced? I'm straining to make this work without hardware, it really seems like it should be possible in some way.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7 Hours Ago
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavers View Post
...I just purchased a new (to me) motherboard with mirroring built-in. Problem solved-ish!
I wouldn't do that. If your motherboard fails, you'll face the risk to lose all your data.
You can try this as a raid 1 alternative: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#altroot
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 6 Hours Ago
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavers View Post
Is there a reasonable way to setup a second, separate encrypted drive, then make all the same writes to it? Or otherwise keep them both exactly synced? ...
Only after the stacked configuration has been mounted, which can only happen after a standard multi-user boot. There are two key restrictions to provisioning stacked softraid(4) configurations:
  • The bootloader does not support them.
  • The kernel does not automatically assemble them.
So, with those restrictions, it means that you cannot boot stacked softraid(), and you cannot use it on filesystems needed to be mounted during multi-user boot.
  • You must boot from outside the stacked softraid() environment.
  • You must manually assemble them after booting and after all automatic fstab(5) mounts have completed. Typically using rc.local(8).

Last edited by jggimi; 6 Hours Ago at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo, clarity