DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st January 2009
Package Pilot

Cool 2008 -2009 Certifications

Hi all, what you think of Certifications now?

what's worth to own what's not from a "salary" point of view!

Today learning some thing for fun is some what fictitious.

I tried to google it and here is what I came up United States for example.

Ideas?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
what's worth to own what's not from a "salary" point of view!
It fundamentally depends upon your career goals.

IMO, certifications are more important when seeking a new position where past experience doesn't show the specific experiences employers are wanting, ie. if I was seeking a job in the networking field & I didn't have anything on my resume indicating relevant experience, then having a related certification might help land the job.

I have also seen that the further away managers are from a specific field, the more likely they are to be pacified by seeing third-party validation of skills & knowledge. In other words, if I was looking for a database contract with a local insurance broker, since they would most likely have little domain knowledge related to databases, they may be more reassured that I could complete whatever they needed if I could show that I had a related certification.

Yet, your question fundamentally asks if getting a certification directly translates into commanding more money. Although the certification industry would like to market their products in such a way, I personally believe that finding a job and/or career is much more complex than saying that just because I have a certification, I will definitely make more money than the next guy who doesn't.

What is more important is possessing the necessary knowledge & experience. Yes, certifications can help on these fronts, but they are not a guarantee.

Having said that, the reputation of the various Cisco & Red Hat certifications are generally good. They apparently have been doing a good job in verifying that certificate holders have relevant knowledge.

Last edited by ocicat; 7th January 2009 at 09:34 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
Package Pilot

Default Thank You

Yet again ocicat you answer me when no one else does.

This adds to your balance 1 more point, Thank you for replying my post.

Will, this would be the case of the whole world now, being a Certificate Holder + a Diploma or with out it helps getting a job like 60% if it's not 40%...the rest is divided between good luck and good circumstances and good reputation.

Certificates "Except for the performance-based certifications" are nothing but a paper that can not a sure that you can do what you are required to do, it was supposed to be ....but that's where we stand now!

so, what I think is ..... doing exams is not really needed unless some company needs the info to be but in your file!

2nd I think that every executive should but the employee under test to check if he is gonna do the job or not.

3rd Do not Stop learning

4th that's it for now