DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2010
HUTCHY

Default Does the New FreeBSD have a Desktop

Can anyone who has downloaded the latest FreeBSD 8.2 beta1 if it has a desktop of some sort like gnome etc or if it doesnt.
One of the reasons I ask is at the DistroWatch site it says its iso images dont have pkgs only docs. But yet its supposedly over 970mb to download.
Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2010
Daemonology student

Of course not. And it never will. If you want to install a window manager or full desktop environment use ports/packages.

And the "970mb" thing is probably the USB pendrive image or something. The base install fits inside a single CDROM (disc1). Actually, the only required parts - the base and GENERIC kernel distributions - are maybe 300 MB big.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marred View Post
Can anyone who has downloaded the latest FreeBSD 8.2 beta1 if it has a desktop of some sort like gnome etc or if it doesnt.
One of the reasons I ask is at the DistroWatch site it says its iso images dont have pkgs only docs. But yet its supposedly over 970mb to download.
Thanks
If You want FreeBSD bundled with some DE, then get PC-BSD (http://pcbsd.org) the 9.x version comes with GNOME/XFCE/KDE4 and others.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
HUTCHY

I dont mind to much if I had to use ports/pkgs etc to grab a gui,but would it pick up my eth0 card during install etc so I can connect to another PC either Linux or Win so I could add a gui, as I only use a Mobile broadband usb stick for internet.
I noticed over at another freebsd site that makes custom xfce build of FreeBSD 8.1 which I was interested in downloading but was concerned if it would be a bit late to try & keep updated, but its last build was a 64bit build offered from 29/9/10
I might give it ago.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
Daemonology student

There's no ethN. Every chipset in FreeBSD has its own device driver.
If it's recognized, it will show up in % pciconf -lv. For example when you have
Code:
vr0@pci0:1:2:0: [...]
    [...]
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
you know the device node is vr0. You configure it in /etc/rc.conf (if using DHCP):
Code:
ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
Then you start the network (# /etc/rc.d/netif start) and acquire DHCP data (# dhclient vr0).

The problem is that I highly doubt FreeBSD has a driver for your usb modem. If it has an Ethernet port, use that instead. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck.

Of course you could download the packages on another machine and install them on this one without connecting to the Internet.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
HUTCHY

Thanks for the tips ,I think I will give it a go. I just didnt want to download something that will be a waste of time if I cant connect with it to the net to add pkgs because I dont get many gigs with my mobile broadband usually unless they throw in a bonus.
But I think I will get dhcp to work.