DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2018
Port Guard

Default Wifi transfer rate

Hey all,

I recently followed this guide for setting up openbsd as a wifi access point on an older (2010) netbook. Although it "basically works," I have two concerns and want to know what I can do to solve or mitigate them.

1) The transfer rate of files is notably slower than hostapd on Linux (devuan). On that system, I was getting speeds around 1.6-2mbps. On openbsd, the range is something like 100-700kbps. (My home router gets around 2.6-3mbps.) I'm trying to figure out what I can adjust to increase transfer speed.

2) The system runs hotter than it did with Linux, and the noisy fan is becoming an annoyance at times. Can I do anything to keep it running cooler?

Thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2018
More noise than signal

Performance varies by NIC and driver, but generally, wireless NICs do not perform as well in Host AP mode as they do in infrastructure mode. External AP bridges will usually perform better.

You can use apmd(8) to reduce CPU performance (and heat) during periods of low CPU demand. This may reduce fan speed. Set Automatic Performance Mode with the -A operand.
Code:
# rcctl enable apmd
# rcctl set apmd flags -A