DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2014
New User

Default Issues with rc.local file (and getting CUPS to start at boot time)

Hi all,
1st post so go easy!

I've been putting together an OpenBSD 5.4 virtual, on Virtual box, with Ubuntu 12.04LTS as host OS. It's up and running, and CUPS is installed and can be started manually, but I can't seem to get the rc.local file organised, so that CUPS starts on boot. Whatever I try, I cop a syntax error suggesting an un-closed quote at line (x).

Current rc.local is as below:
Code:
#	$OpenBSD: rc.local,v 1.44 2011/04/22 06:08:14 ajacoutot Exp $

# Site-specific startup actions, daemons, and other things which
# can be done AFTER your system goes into securemode.  For actions
# which should be done BEFORE your system has gone into securemode
# please see /etc/rc.securelevel.

echo -n 'Staring local Daemons:'

#Add local startup actions here.

#if [ -x /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon ]; then
#	mkdir -p /var/run/dbus
#	chmod 0755 /var/run/dbus
#	chown -R messagebus:messagebus /var/run/dbus --system

#	/usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
#fi

if [ -x /usr/local/libexec/smbd ]; then
	echo -n ' smbd'
	/usr/local/libexec/smbd
fi

if [ -x /usr/local/libexec/nmbd ]; then
	echo -n ' nmbd'
	/usr/local/libexec/nmbd 
fi

if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/cupsd ]; then
	echo -n ' cupsd';	/usr/local/sbin/cupsd
fi

#if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/snmpd ]; then
#	echo -n ' snmpd';	/usr/local/sbin/snmpd
#fi

kdm_flags=""
if [ "X${kdm_flags} != X"NO" ] then
  /usr/local/bi/kdm ${kdm_flags} ;
echo -n 'kdm '
fi

echo '.'
Whatever I try at the end, I get the same error. Obviously I'm missing something basic, so can someone point it out to me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ocicat; 12th January 2014 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Please use [code] & [/code] tags when posting file contents.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biased View Post
Whatever I try at the end, I get the same error. Obviously I'm missing something basic, so can someone point it out to me? Thanks in advance.
Welcome!

Per Section 4.14 of the FAQ, the contents of /etc/rc.conf should not be modified. Customizations should go into /etc/rc.conf.local. Following this practice will also make updating simpler as the upgrade process will replace /etc/rc.conf, but leave /etc/rc.conf.local unaltered.

Further information can be found in the rc.conf(8) manpage.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

Whatever guide you have been following that sent you to rc.local is at least three years out-of-date. Starting with OpenBSD 4.9, the OS deployed an rc.d infrastructure and all built-in and third party (ports/packages) daemons use it. You can look through the complete list of rc.d scripts, both built-in and installed through packages (dbus, cups, and the like) as they are all located in the /etc/rc.d directory.

You turn them on and off by setting variables in your /etc/rc.conf.local file. Built-in daemons are enabled by setting their individual <daemon>_flag variables, and third party daemons are added to a space separated pkg_scripts variable. To start both dbus and cups, you might have this line within rc.conf.local:
Code:
pkg_scripts="dbus_daemon cupsd"
For more info, see these man pages:afterboot(8), rc.conf(8), rc.d(8), and OpenBSD FAQ 10.3. The FAQ is the only official how-to document, and unlike whatever you were using, it is kept up to date with the most recent release.

The rc.conf infrastructure is also briefly described in the Email to the new root account that is part of the standard installation.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2014
Too dumb for a smartphone

Just to tidy up the mystery error in the obsolete rc.local approach, it seems it's indeed an unclosed quote, along with a missing semi-colon

Code:
if [ "X${kdm_flags}" != X"NO" ]; then
ForWhatIt'sWorth
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2014
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Just to tidy up the mystery error in the obsolete rc.local approach, it seems it's indeed an unclosed quote, along with a missing semi-colon

Code:
if [ "X${kdm_flags}" != X"NO" ]; then
ForWhatIt'sWorth
Thanks for the replies; have amended the rc.conf.local file to load the cups daemon. Tries to load at start up, but still gives me the "unclosed quotes" error...reading the above post, I can now see why. Will amend the rc.local file later and see if that helps. Thanks again for your help!
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th January 2014
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biased View Post
Thanks for the replies; have amended the rc.conf.local file to load the cups daemon. Tries to load at start up, but still gives me the "unclosed quotes" error...reading the above post, I can now see why. Will amend the rc.local file later and see if that helps. Thanks again for your help!
You didn't say how you amended the rc.conf.local file, but reading between the lines it sounds like you added the material you had put in rc.local to it. If that's what you've done, it would explain why you still got the same error, and more to the point it wasn't the right approach for using rc.conf.local. Please take another, careful, look at jggimi's post because it contains a lot of good info to get you going in the right direction.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th January 2014
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
You didn't say how you amended the rc.conf.local file, but reading between the lines it sounds like you added the material you had put in rc.local to it. If that's what you've done, it would explain why you still got the same error, and more to the point it wasn't the right approach for using rc.conf.local. Please take another, careful, look at jggimi's post because it contains a lot of good info to get you going in the right direction.
Thanks, all good. I used the same syntax as jggimi posted, and added cupsd in there...just about to close off the quote and add the semi-colon into the rclocal file (per your earlier suggestion), and hopefully all will be good.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th January 2014
More noise than signal

It's not clear if you are still using rc.local for starting daemons, including kdm. If so, this is no longer a best practice.The pkg_script variable is used not only for start up, but for orderly shutdown, and the individual scripts may be used by the admin to stop or restart daemons manually.