Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Arp Constable

Default Top Ten Worst Uses for Windows

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/29644?ts

The title says it all.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Yeah, I'm amazed at the "embedded" use of Windows sometimes ... A supermarket (Jumbo) offers so called "self-scan" systems, you scan your own groceries and stuff, and pay, no under-payed cashier girl involved, it's faster, so less of a line ...
These machines only have to scan articles and add the price ... But they run on Windows XP ... complete with teletubby GUI ... Already seen a few crash ... Not to mention that these machines are pretty slow/unresponsive, it takes a few seconds before anything happens after you press a button.
The least they could have done was turn the telletubby GUI and visual effect off and go to Windows classic ... Instant 25% performance boost ... :-/

I'm pretty sure that another store, which has a similar, but much better system (Albert Heijn) doesn't use Windows, although I'm not sure what they do use ...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I work huge hospital/insurance company and they replaced all the Suns, VAXs and Alphas with IBM, Compaq, HP with windows version from NT up. Now all the nursing stantions and basic diagnostic stuff locks and needs constant care.

But in the Critical system like surgery, life surport and radiology they still run unix machines and they don't have all the issues. I hope I never see the day when those system run some for of windows.

I'm sure that if some golf outing with one of the VPs had enough "perks" they would do it. That one reason why we got ride of the Cisco infrastructure and now everything is being pushed to IBM blades.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2008
Complete BSD nubcake

On a lighter note: If the computer in my car ran windows... If windows crashed, would my car crash too?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

If it controls the braking system it would be possible.

I had a car that's computer was windows based. the computer went bad and it wouldn't start.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2008
Shell Scout

A few months ago I wanted to pay in some bank notes. I have never done that with a machine only at the bank counter before.
I saw a Windows desktop (assumedly crashed)....
I could use the mouse cursor with the touchpad and the damn thing had a keyboard But too many cameras.