DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2015
Shell Scout

Default .serverauth was deleted

Dear All,

I was realized that my /home/user/.serverauth was deleted and unable to start xfce4 anymore. Perhaps this is a sign of intruding. I had no idea how.

I had issues this command tcpdump -l npi fxp0 | tee tcpdump to analyze the network traffic. I had realized there are a lot of ipv6cp and lcp packet flowing between the interface.

I had attached a tcpdump file with a idle connection.

Hope someone are willing to illustrate this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tcpdump1.zip (10.1 KB, 63 views)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2015
More noise than signal

Peter, any time something happens you do not understand, it must be "I've been hacked!"

Please stop. You. Have. Not. Been. Hacked. You do not know what a .serverauth file is for, how it would be created, nor deleted. I'll tell you this much. These files are created by startx(1), and deleted by startx(1).

Perhaps it was your failed Gnome installation that is causing your problems now? We don't know, of course, because you haven't posted a useful problem report.

Since you've posted some tcpdump(1) output, I looked at it, and saw:
  • IPv6 configuration requests and acknowledgement responses.
  • outbound HTTPS requests and responses.
  • outbound HTTP requests and responses
  • NTP traffic
  • ICMP traffic
You apparently missed this post in one of your other threads. I'll highlight something very important from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
...Peter is still running -release, and to the best of my knowledge, he has not applied any of the 14 published errata patches -- 9 of which address actual, confirmed security issues. If he has not done so, then this is where his attention should be focused...
Instead of chasing ghosts, why not address real security issues?

If you do not have the skills to maintain your own system, consider using M:Tier's very useful -stable services. Many people do, for both -stable systems and -stable packages.

Last edited by jggimi; 25th August 2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: clarity, formatting
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Instead of chasing ghosts, why not address real security issues?
+1

I think your issue here is in the pursuit of a "sense of security" rather than actual security.

As jgimi says, files like .serverauth.* and .Xauthority are session files which work exactly as above. Things can go wrong with these when X is just killed or if the user just reboots from a terminal emulator. This means that next time you want to run startx, you may need to clean up.

I thought that on your system the X aperture driver was disabled and the X sets not installed anyway?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2015
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Please stop. You. Have. Not. Been. Hacked.
My firewall rebooted after my house lost power. Damned hackers creating thunderstorms.

In all honesty, thanks jggimi, I've been trying to think of a tactful way to say what you said above.

Edit - Burden of proof and all that jazz...
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2015
More noise than signal

It's OK to have a sense of paranoia, if it is applied constructively towards best practices. This isn't.

Peter's paranoia appears actively harmful to him, because his focus and attention are on non-existent threats. He apparently has no time or attention to spare to learn and apply actual security best practices, such as keeping his system up-to-date.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2015
Shell Scout

I'm understand what you all saying here. I will try my best to follow the guidance and practises from experience people. Thanks you very much.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2015
More noise than signal

Excellent! I know that you want to "harden" your OpenBSD installation. Your first step towards actually doing that is to apply fixes for known issues. As noted above, there are nine security issues you have not yet addressed.

OpenBSD is source-code maintained. Users -- that's you and me, Peter -- are expected to be able to apply patches or else build a system from the -stable branch (the "patch branch") of the source code. The errata web page linked to above provide step by step instructions for individual patches, but there is an assumption that the user has read the FAQ and obtained the -release source code.

If you find this is beyond your skills, you can use M:Tier's -stable services. While not part of the Project directly, M:Tier employs several OpenBSD developers and provides commercial OpenBSD services.

Along with -stable systems, M:Tier also provides -stable packages.

The OpenBSD project creates -stable ports but does not have the resources to provide -stable packages for all of its architectures, leaving the building of packages to the users. Many users, even technically skilled users, use M:Tier's service because they do not have the time, resources, or interest in building -stable packages for themselves.

Good luck! Should you have any questions about keeping your system updated, please start a new thread.

If you still have issues with XFCE, and wish to have us review the problem, please post a more complete problem report. If you're unsure what to post, log the output of your startx(1) command.

$ startx > my.log.file 2>&1 should log the startx output into my.log.file. If there is content, it may show the error more clearly. And it may provide you with enough information to resolve the problem on your own.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Excellent! I know that you want to "harden" your OpenBSD installation. Your first step towards actually doing that is to apply fixes for known issues. As noted above, there are nine security issues you have not yet addressed.

OpenBSD is source-code maintained. Users -- that's you and me, Peter -- are expected to be able to apply patches or else build a system from the -stable branch (the "patch branch") of the source code. The errata web page linked to above provide step by step instructions for individual patches, but there is an assumption that the user has read the FAQ and obtained the -release source code.

If you find this is beyond your skills, you can use M:Tier's -stable services. While not part of the Project directly, M:Tier employs several OpenBSD developers and provides commercial OpenBSD services.

Along with -stable systems, M:Tier also provides -stable packages.

The OpenBSD project creates -stable ports but does not have the resources to provide -stable packages for all of its architectures, leaving the building of packages to the users. Many users, even technically skilled users, use M:Tier's service because they do not have the time, resources, or interest in building -stable packages for themselves.

Good luck! Should you have any questions about keeping your system updated, please start a new thread.

If you still have issues with XFCE, and wish to have us review the problem, please post a more complete problem report. If you're unsure what to post, log the output of your startx(1) command.

$ startx > my.log.file 2>&1 should log the startx output into my.log.file. If there is content, it may show the error more clearly. And it may provide you with enough information to resolve the problem on your own.
Thanks jggmi for provide some guidance on how to harden/secure the operating system by resolve the well known critical security issues first. Thanks you very much.