DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th October 2009
Port Guard

Default Is the source tree frozen until Nov 1st?

After reading about the release date of 4.6 being pushed back to nov 1st, i was wondering whether or not the 4.6 source tree will remaine frozen until that time?
Would pulling a snapshot now be the same as downloading 4.6 at the start of next month?
Or is the source tree only used for tracking -current (which i though the snapshots were taken from), and would that or would that not also be the same as grabbing the final release next month?

As an aside - i have and intend to again, donated to the openbsd project, i just dont need the full box set for my installs, so if i can grab an iso now id prefer to.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th October 2009
Banned

The 4.6 release was tagged several months ago, some of those who preordered the CD have already received it.. official release date is November 1st.

Many changes have been made since 4.6 was tagged, a summary is made available on the website.. there is also a source-commits mailing list.

http://www.openbsd.org/plus.html
http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs

Snapshots are based on OpenBSD -CURRENT, they are not 4.6 RELEASE.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th October 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsong View Post
i was wondering whether or not the 4.6 source tree will remaine frozen until that time?
No, development is ongoing.
Quote:
Would pulling a snapshot now be the same as downloading 4.6 at the start of next month?
No.
Quote:
Or is the source tree only used for tracking -current (which i though the snapshots were taken from), and would that or would that not also be the same as grabbing the final release next month?
No. Files versions within the CVS tree were tagged with OPENBSD_4_6_BASE when the 4.6 images destined for the official CD set were deemed final. Once the OPENBSD_x_y_BASE branch is created, no changes are made to any files made in this branch. At the same time, the OPENBSD_4_6 branch was also created, but as patches are created, changes will be checked into this branch. In this manner, anyone will be able to get to the exact file versions used to create the CD set (-release) at any time by checking out OPENBSD_4_6_BASE, & anyone wanting to follow -stable can do so by checking out OPENBSD_4_6.

Nevertheless, the head of CVS continues to have files checked into it from continued development. From what has been checked in thus far, OpenBSD 4.7 will be a great release.

For more information, study the release(8) manpage. Studying Section 5 of the FAQ would also be a good idea.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2009
Port Guard

Thanks both for the clarification, i apologise if this is info that could have been gleaned from the FAQ, i did read thru section 5 but obviously didnt fully understand it, so thanks again!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2009
More noise than signal

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthre...3093#post22884
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2009
Port Guard

Thanks for the link jggimi, that also helps expand on the dev process of openbsd abit more.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Here is a video of Theo de Raadt explaining how the OpenBSD release cycle works, and the rationale behind it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7pkyDUX5uM

IMO It's pretty good and worth the watch.