DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Programming

Programming C, bash, Python, Perl, PHP, Java, you name it.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Question Seeking: politically-minded web application programmers

Howdy folks,
I'm currently forming a group to develop a set of tools for LP and pro-liberty organizations to have better information resources that are easier to manage. If you're a web application developer, specifically with PHP or frontend (XHTML, Javascript, AJAX, DHTML, etc) experience, we could really use your help.

Let me know if you're interested in this. I've got some ideas for a baseline, and there are open-source tools which we can build from, tie together, integrate, and create a user-friendly frontend for. These include Advokit and CiviCRM primarily. Above and beyond those, I'd like to create some custom tools. I've created a project on berlios.de for collaboration.

Personally, I can do C and Perl development for back-end application, and I'm also looking to do the project management and end-user assistance and integration work myself. What's needed are skilled front-end server-side programmers (PHP, Ruby, Perl), and skilled front-end client-side programmers and UI designers (XHTML, Javascript, DHTML, AJAX, graphics) for the project.

These projects will primarily support the Libertarian Party of the US, but should be readily portable to other groups, and some others may become involved in the project at some point as well.

If anyone here is interested, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Wish this was together years ago and not a few days before the election. In any case, I will PM you to see if I can be of use.

I'm an independent who will be voting Libertarian and Constitutional all the way this coming Tuesday.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Well, this isn't really going to be this-election-centric. This is more a project for organizations than for candidates, per se. Specifically, I'm targetting state and local LP affiliates and PACs of all stripes, but there's no reason that Greens or Constitution party folks couldn't take advantage of the work as well.

Perhaps we should use a 3-clause BSD license, where the third clause says that Republicans and Democrats can't use it?

Edit... To be honest, I only have time to focus on this now that the election is ending...

Last edited by mdh; 31st October 2008 at 06:38 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2008
BSD gamer

Just curious, but specifically what are these tools? Do you have a web site with more info on it? I'm not a web developer, but when I noticed the term Libertarian, I couldn't help but take interest.

Ron Paul for President! (hey, I can dream, can't I?)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2008
Arp Constable

Until the GOP becomes part of the history books for once and for all anyway, lol.

I know a few who are likely voting Libertarian, but none are web developers -- other wise I'd forward them here.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snes-addict View Post
Just curious, but specifically what are these tools? Do you have a web site with more info on it? I'm not a web developer, but when I noticed the term Libertarian, I couldn't help but take interest.

Ron Paul for President! (hey, I can dream, can't I?)
The tools basically amount to "in-a-box" solutions for pro-liberty orgs like LP state and local affiliates, PACs, etc.

The foundation is going to be wordpress (or wordpress-mu) for the front-end content management, CiviCRM for the contributions and event planning and some other functionality, and Advokit for volunteer project management. Add to that a unified look&feel, authentication/SSO that works together between all components, and some custom tools added to the mix as we realize we need more things that don't already exist. Then create a community of theme-makers by documenting the theming interface very well, and I think we'll have a product that will be downright useful.

There's no website for it yet. We'll have one on the Berlios project at some point, http://lptools.berlios.de/ once someone makes one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Until the GOP becomes part of the history books for once and for all anyway, lol.

I know a few who are likely voting Libertarian, but none are web developers -- other wise I'd forward them here.
IMHO, the GOP (like the Dems) was relegated to history when they gave up on any semblence of real principles.
As far as I'm concerned, they might as well both call themselves the "Party for Feudalism and Slavery."

Tags
libertarian, programmers wanted, seeking developers