DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2010
New User

Default NetBSD package searching ?

Hello
May I ask some basic questions about compiled packages.

How do you find out what package a particular file is in ?
Could I for instance go somewhere or run something to find out where, say, libphp5.so is ?

Is a NetBSD binary package different in construction to a OpenBSD package ?
Are they interchangeable ? If not do they, for a given name, contain exactly the same stuff or are they not even compatible in content, never mind construction ?

As I have posted elsewhere I am floundering in php-obscurity-hell.
My goal is to find what packages I need to add to install php for apache .
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2010
Administrator

Not sure if you are familiar with it yet, by a nice site to for NetBSD pkgsrc is http://pkgsrc.se/info.php

If you set and export the PKG_PATH, installing a package should install all required dependencies.

From http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/using.html#using-pkg
Quote:
4.1.2. Installing binary packages

In the directory from the last section, there is a subdirectory called All, which contains all the binary packages that are available for the platform, excluding those that may not be distributed via FTP or CDROM (depending on which medium you are using), and the ones that have vulnerabilities and therefore are considered insecure to install without thinking before.

To install packages directly from an FTP or HTTP server, run the following commands in a Bourne-compatible shell (be sure to su to root first):

Code:
# PATH="/usr/pkg/sbin:$PATH"
# PKG_PATH="ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/OPSYS/ARCH/VERSIONS/All"
# export PATH PKG_PATH
[snip]
Code:
# pkg_add ap2-php5-*
Note that any prerequisite packages needed to run the package in question will be installed, too, assuming they are present where you install from.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2010
New User

Default Thank you for fast response - just what I need.

Hello
OK thank you. Very usefull info. My goal is to get ap2-php5-5.2.12nb1 installed after installing apache-2.2.14 .

I have been mislead by the php website on what I am looking for. In fact i am after mod_php5.so which I have found to be in the ap2-php5 package but it fails to install on a dependency against the apache version, so I am now pursuing getting a newer ap2-php5.

What is the difference between the nyftp.netbsd.org and the ftp.netbsd.org that you and netbsd website both mention ? I got apache off nyftp after reading a README somewhere which I cant now find.

Thank you again. regards malcolm green UK

PS I used to live in Netherlands at Monfort many years ago. Looking on Google Earth it seems they have built a housing estate on the fields which used to be in front of our house.

Last edited by J65nko; 27th January 2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Whitespace added ;)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th January 2010
Administrator

There are a few organizations that host copies of the contents of the main netbsd.org ftp site.
Code:
$ host nyftp.netbsd.org

nyftp.netbsd.org is an alias for netbsd3.cs.columbia.edu.
netbsd3.cs.columbia.edu has address 128.59.23.63
So the Columbia University in New York, offers as a public service a mirror of the NetBSD ftp site.

You could delete the apache you already installed. Then follow the instructions that I quoted from the NetBSD site to install that ap22-php5 package. It probably will install the proper apache22 too

You could use ftp://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/pa...0.1_2009Q4/All as your PKG_PATH. Or find a mirror in the UK
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th January 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen View Post

Is a NetBSD binary package different in construction to a OpenBSD package ?
Are they interchangeable ? If not do they, for a given name, contain exactly the same stuff or are they not even compatible in content, never mind construction ?
Absolutely!!! NetBSD packages are very different then OpenBSD packages.
While OpenBSD packages are compiled for the specific kernel, userland, and Xenocara NetBSD packages can be compiled for the very different versions of kernel and userland as well as version of X. As a matter of fact it is often the case that packages are compiled on the machine which has updated userland, or newer kernel and that packages are not usable on your specific machine. I am not talking about current I am talking about running plain release.

Most people that I know who use NetBSD very strongly discourage use of binary packages. On the another hand pkgsrc is quite cool thing even though slightly over engineered and parts are very, very poorly documented.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th January 2010
New User

Thank you Oko and J65nko . Your advice was very helpfull. I added package ap22-php5 and after a little configuration I have php working fine. This is all my fault - I failed to remember the rules of alphabetic order which result in ap2-php5 getting placed miles away from ap22-php5 in the ftp list for All such that I never found it first time.
My current issue is to discover how file httpd-ssl.conf should be configured.