DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2017
Port Guard

Default Are you installing OpenBSD 500 GB SSHD?

Hi guys;
Me again
I have a 500GB SSHDD. Would it be a problem to install OpenBSD6.1 or 6.2?
I'm very ignorant about this. Or should I choose normal HDD?
I have no problem with normal HDD.
Can I use SSHDD on the same tab with ease?

Last edited by ucharfli; 30th August 2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: s/SSHD/SSHDD/g
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucharfli View Post
Would it be a problem to install OpenBSD6.1 or 6.2?
You previously posted that you were using -current, one of three "flavors" of OpenBSD. The -current "flavor" is the development branch of OpenBSD, and is continuously being updated. What you were running when you posted was considerably ahead of 6.1-release, as that was released in April, 2017. Please see this section of the FAQ to learn how OpenBSD is developed and released.

If you update your 3 week old -current system to today's -current system, it will show 6.2, only because the Project has entered its testing phase for 6.2-release.
Quote:
Or should I choose normal HDD?
OpenBSD does not use the SSD "TRIM" command. Support for TRIM was developed and tested, and determined not to be of value at this time. The OS treats solid state drives as it would any other drive. And they work just fine.

Last edited by jggimi; 30th August 2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2017
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
You previously posted that you were using -current, one of three "flavors" of OpenBSD. The -current "flavor" is the development branch of OpenBSD, and is continuously being updated. What you were running when you posted was considerably ahead of 6.1-release, as that was released in April, 2017. Please see this section of the FAQ to learn how OpenBSD is developed and released.
I said to install the new SSHDD. If necessary I can use stable OpenBSD and install it.
In this sense, I wanted to say. My mistake. Excuse me!

Quote:
Support for TRIM was developed and tested, and determined not to be of value at this time. The OS treats solid state drives as it would any other drive. And they work just fine.
Can we explain this place a little better?
Can I use it without making any configuration?
Sorry, I do not have as much technical knowledge as you!
I try to understand what they say and what they write. Can we say for sure?. SSD disks We can install and use OpenBSD. To be more explicit.
It was tested, but now we have no need? <(Using Trim)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucharfli View Post
..If necessary I can use stable OpenBSD and install it...
There have been no significant operational changes to disk device management between 6.1-release and -current, which will become 6.2-release later this year. (There are never any developmental changes between a -release and its -stable branch, all -stable and errata patches are for break/fix only.)
Quote:
Can we explain this place a little better?
The TRIM (for ATA drives) and UNMAP (for SCSI drives) commands an OS may send to a disk drive controller are to inform the drive that a range of sectors are no longer in use. The purpose of TRIM or UNMAP (same thing) is to mitigate performance degradation by reducing the number of overwrite operations the drive must perform, on future writes to those sectors. This is because on solid state media, an overwrite may take longer, and possibly produce more wear on the drive.

During development and testing, two approaches were tested. TRIM of individual sectors, and TRIM of sector ranges. Both produced performance degradations of the disk drive, larger than any degradation that could be caused by running without TRIM at all. A third option, TRIM of multiple sector ranges, may provide acceptable performance results, but this form of TRIM will require significant development and is currently deferred.
Quote:
Can I use it without making any configuration?
Yes, you may use solid state drives as if they are any other kind of disk drive. Overwrites may take longer than an initial write, but the drive will operate faster than if it were using either of the TRIM operations that were developed, tested, and discarded.

Last edited by jggimi; 30th August 2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: clarity
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st August 2017
Port Guard

I can not thank you enough. I have now fully understood.
thanks lot...