DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th February 2018
Shell Scout

Default X.org modular aside monolithic

I have NetBSD 7.1.1 amd64 with X.org installed during initial installation, so I presume it's non-modular (monolithic). Now I want to try the modular one. Are there any specific guidelines about installing it aside the monolithic X.org? The existing guide recommends doing it without the latter, but that's not my case. What shall I do in order to avoid mixing together both installations, any caveats?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2018
Arp Constable

I think you can have issues with linked xorg libraries, for example libGL.so which is commonly used by browsers. If you build a browser, which one will it link to modular vs monolithic? What if the versions are different? If you use binary packages, I believe the build servers use monolithic xorg.

For testing purposes, you could potentially format 2 netbsd ffs partitions with labels of Modular and Monolithic.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2018
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I think you can have issues with linked xorg libraries, for example libGL.so which is commonly used by browsers. If you build a browser, which one will it link to modular vs monolithic? What if the versions are different? If you use binary packages, I believe the build servers use monolithic xorg.

For testing purposes, you could potentially format 2 netbsd ffs partitions with labels of Modular and Monolithic.
Thanks Shep, that was my impression also, that things could possibly go down the drain.

Theoretically it would be ideal to be able to keep 2 different installations of X.org on the same system with all depending libraries, with choice which one to run, but it doesn't seem that developers of X have provided such a possibility.