DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
just passing through

Default cvs checkout hangs then fails

Hi,

I'm in the process of installing 6.2 -stable on a laptop. This checkout:
Code:
$ cd /usr
$ cvs -qd anoncvs@anoncvs.ca.openbsd.org:/cvs checkout -rOPENBSD_6_2 -P src xenocara ports
seems to have hung during the ports tree fetch then eventually timed out. Is there a good way to resume the ports checkout?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
Spam Deminer

If you rerun the command it should figure out where it left off and continue. It will have to check against the server, but won't re-download any files.

Did you pre-populate the source directories with the tarballs from the release available on your mirror? Should help with minimizing data transfer over CVS if you are on a sketchy internet connection.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
More noise than signal

To the best of my knowledge there is no resuming, just restarting. CVS will report if there are any lock files remaining in the working directory due to the failure.

You might try a closer mirror, unless Alberta is the closest to you.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
just passing through

The /usr/ports directory was empty before the checkout.

I know nothing about cvs. Given that only part of the ports tree is present, which of these three approaches would result in a non-corrupt state?

Code:
$ cd /usr/ports
$ cvs -q up -Pd -rOPENBSD_6_2
Code:
$ cd /usr/ports
$ cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.ca.openbsd.org:/cvs -q up -Pd -rOPENBSD_6_2
Code:
$ cd /usr
$ cvs -qd anoncvs@anoncvs.ca.openbsd.org:/cvs checkout -rOPENBSD_6_2 -P ports
I assume 1. and 2. are basically the same since I haven't changed repositories but I am not certain.

I choose the Alberta repository and everything is being built from source for this system because I am playing some security games (where are the tinfoil hat smilies?) and that seems like a way to reduce risk...I am trying to think of a way to mention NSA Tailored Access Operations and/or CIA agents surreptitiously modifying code (to make this thread more fun) but I'm not really coming up with anything. What is your assessment, speculation, [conspiracy] theory or alternate reality game narrative regarding such things? <smirk>

Last edited by hanzer; 21st February 2018 at 05:30 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
More noise than signal

Avoid 1 and 2. These are updates to a working directory which must be in a known-good state. You don't have that. Run your checkout again.

Your use of the Alberta CVS server doesn't contribute to any significant security over using any repository mirror, as there is no digital signature mechanism for these.

Binary project distributions (kernels, filesets, packages, syspatch updates) are signed with signify(1) by a project member. But you have no assurance which CVS repository mirror was used for the working directory they used to do their build.

---

Edited to add:

You can switch repositories at will when updating your working directory. Individual patch updates are applied as diffs, and will fail if revisions do not match correctly. If there are multiple patches against a source module, however, it is replaced, rather than patched, so this form of paranoia will not fully confirm mirror validity.

---

Edited again to add:

I have a local mirror of the CVS repository that I use to create -current and -stable working directories. It could be an AnonCVS mirror, if it were on one of my servers instead of my laptop. But this mirror is itself a replication from my nearest CVSync mirror. My working directories are created from mirrors, of mirrors, of mirrors....

...Yes, it's turtles all the way down.

Last edited by jggimi; 21st February 2018 at 06:00 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Your use of the Alberta CVS server doesn't contribute to any significant security over using any repository mirror, as there is no digital signature mechanism for these.
The Alberta CVS server is the fountain-head, is it not? In my choice to pull from it - made after about four seconds of thought while looking at the list of servers - the deciding factor was that any yahoo running a mirror could potentially distribute modified code if they were sufficiently inclined to do so. How difficult would that be?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
More noise than signal

Let us assume for a moment that your hang and subsequent failure were related to network issues such as latency. Let us also assume for the same moment that a checkout will never succeed.

Assuming these are true (whether or not they are) ...

You could run your checkout from a local mirror, then, conduct an update from the Alberta server. An update uses much less network communication than a checkout, and is less likely to fail.

If you run an update against the Alberta server with the cvs -q option, if there are no revisions you will have an empty report on your console. If there are any revisions, you will be notified which modules were revised, added, or deleted, and you may review the individual changes, whether successfully applied ("U", "P", and sometimes "M") or whether not successfully applied ("C" and sometimes "M").
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Assuming these are true (whether or not they are) ...
Yeah, I kinda think that maybe it actually completed the first time. The subsequent checkout reported nothing. Oops. Sorry for the chatter.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2018
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzer View Post
The Alberta CVS server is the fountain-head, is it not?
No.
Old 22nd February 2018
just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
No.
LOL
Old 22nd February 2018
just passing through

I've missed you guys