DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2015
Port Guard

Default Any info on USB Audio 2.0 support in uaudio(4)?

I have an external USB audio interface that I prefer to use instead of an on-board audio device. To my initial surprise it worked out of the box on FreeBSD but I didn't think much about it.

Since I recently switched to OpenBSD I became aware that for it to work the uaudio(4) driver needs to implement USB Audio Class 2.0 spec which OpenBSD doesn't.

Does someone know if there are any plans or work being done to add the support for USB Audio Class 2.0 in the OpenBSD uaudio(4) driver? I searched the mailing lists and have found people complaining about it but no one mentioned if there are any plans to implement it other than someone saying that it shouldn't be hard to port it from FreeBSD. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/206818

I would very much love to jump in and save the day but I am still a few years of learning away from actually being able to. I'll be building my C and UNIX knowledge in the meantime so if nobody does it, it might be my first contribution to this awesome piece of software!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebird View Post
Does someone know if there are any plans or work being done to add the support for USB Audio Class 2.0 in the OpenBSD uaudio(4) driver?
In general, the future plans for OpenBSD are known & discussed within the community which OpenBSD targets -- its developers. The user community simply gets the code base for free. To understand the goals of the project, study the proiject's page on stated goals:

http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html

While a few project developers read & participate on this site, daemonforums is primarily a third-party help site perpetuated by euthusiasts who are merely users. Some have contributed ports, but the majority are not affiliated with the project proper.
Quote:
I searched the mailing lists and have found people complaining about it but no one mentioned if there are any plans to implement it other than someone saying that it shouldn't be hard to port it from FreeBSD.
Searching the commits will show who is doing audio work in OpenBSD:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&w=2&r=1&s=audio&q=b

I would recommend communicating with ratchov@ who has been doing a lot of the recent work in this area.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2015
Port Guard

Thank you for the tips. I am aware that this is a small community and it may not be the best place to seek information on project's plans but I saw some pretty informed answers from the members of this community so I though I'd give it a try. I didn't go to the mailing lists because I know OpenBSD is developed for its developers and they certainly don't want someone to come to the party and complain that their beer sucks and ask when they'll get some other brand.

I have no pressing need to get this audio interface of mine functioning so I will spare Ratchov's time and patiently wait for the support to appear, if that ever happens.
But surely it would be a lot of fun to play with sndiod(1) on a more capable audio device.

Here is the talk given by Alexandre Ratchov about sndio(7), if anyone's interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcro3UliMZ4