DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2008
Package Pilot

Default Apache data transfer limit

Hey guys, quick question - I want to limit the data that apache can transfer on a vhost basis... let me clarify.

I don't want to limit the bandwidth per se, I want to limit the amount of data that can be transfered. And I want to be able to configure this per vhost (each vhost can have different value).

That way I can say this vhost can transfer 200MB/day, and this one 1G/day, etc.

Anyone know of a solution for this? Preliminary google searches only yeild a way to limit the transfer rate (3kbps for this vhost, 10kbps for that).

EDIT: In case it's necessary, it's apache22 on FreeBSD 7.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2008
Spam Deminer

Perhaps this article:
Manage Apache Download Speed And Traffic Limits
could be of help after you adapting it to freebsd.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2008
Package Pilot

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks! I will adapt this to FreeBSD. Shouldn't be too bad as it should be APR.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2008
Package Pilot

In the ports it depends on apache20, I'm using apache22... oh well, I'll dig a bit deeper.

I prefer to use ports for all software installation as it greatly increases the ease of administration of the system, however I might just build this from source like TFA says.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2008
Package Pilot

Alright, I have a resolution, just so everybody knows.

So while the depends for mod_cband showed apache20, I looked at the makefile and it said apache20+, so apache22 will work. Sweet!

However, the primary (and only) site to download from has been down for a good 6 months. The only contact email is also at the site (and while mail may still be working... who knows).

Luckily I managed to find the source .tgz file elsewhere on the net. Downloaded it to my distfiles dir, and a "make install clean" later and I'm up and running with bandwidth limiting. Sweet!

So if anyone else is interested contact me and I'll send along the link to the file (or post it here if enough people are interested). I'm debating if I should email the port maintainer to let them know of the situation.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2008
Package Pilot

Someone from ports@ has graciously added the second link so that this can be made from ports with no problems (however it was also pointed out to me by someone else that it would still work once it errored out on the main site by falling back to a copy of the tgz stored on FreeBSD's FTP server).