DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > Feedback and Suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions We want to hear your thoughts and ideas!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Local

Default Marketing

Just to revisit a point I brought up in the original announcement at bsdforums:

Although word of mouth has been effective so far in getting regulars on board, there will obviously need to be much more done to get the word out about daemonforums. * Specifically, this site needs to get way, way up on the list of search engine results for "bsd forum", et al, in order to attract new traffic.

Please let us know how we can help.

* This presumes - and I am hoping - that you are intending to create a forum where bsd users of all levels can come to ask good questions and get help. If this is intended to be a l33t hangout (no offense intended), then I suppose it does not matter.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Agreed. A posting on the PC-BSD forum would be appropriate, as would an announcement on various BSD mailing lists. OSNews, Slashdot and some of the related sites should notified. You might also seek a mention on the FreeBSD home page, in the Media news section perhaps.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Kienja

Quote:
This presumes - and I am hoping - that you are intending to create a forum where bsd users of all levels can come to ask good questions and get help.
DaemonForums is, without a doubt, 100% help-oriented. We hope to accomplish as much as BSDForums and more in this area.

Quote:
there will obviously need to be much more done to get the word out about daemonforums
Yes, indeed. We started working on that even before DaemonForums was announced on BSDForums. We are contacting all of the news and community/support listings on the web to help spread the word. (Including all the official and unofficial *BSD news resources)

Quote:
Specifically, this site needs to get way, way up on the list of search engine results for "bsd forum", et al, in order to attract new traffic
You are exactly right. Getting high up on the search results will be the #1 factor in determining the long-term success of these forums. New users can not get help if they can not find us. Unfortunately, we do not have the money to bribe Google to make us their number one listing for a "BSD Forums" search. The greatest factor in achieving this will be simply more threads and more posts. Over time, when the search engine bots begin seeing that "BSD" and "forums" occurs thousands of times throughouts our pages, we will begin to rise in the search results. See: How Search Engines Rank Webpages.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2008
Just a computer user...

Do you think getting the domain bsdforum.net as an alias would help?

It is obviously a "bsd forum" and is the only on word bsdforum domain that is still available.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2008
Kienja

"bsdforums.net" all ready refers to BSDForums.org. Therefore, having "bsdforum.net" refer to DaemonForums would probably be too confusing.

When we were trying to come up with a name for these new boards we purposely strayed from anything that was too similar to BSDForums.org.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I could look into acquiring deamonforums.net vase via hostmonstaer and donating it to the effort.
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

daemonforums.com and daemonforums.net are already registered and point towards daemonforums.org

Registering bsdforum.net would not be very fruitful IMO...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hopefully you are doing a 301 redirect? If not, having the other two point at this forum only divides up the tallying.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Port Guard

I e-mailed the guy who runs distrowatch.com and asked him to add links to DaemonForums on the BSD pages (I'm sure other people asked, too) - he's now done it and we're linked to from:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=freebsd
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=netbsd
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=openbsd

I've checked the other *BSD pages but there's no links on those as of yet.

Should help with the search engine rankings.
Old 8th May 2008
Spam Deminer

You could always spam bsdforums... you know they aren't going to do anything about it LOL!!!

Ah it's good to see some familiar faces here...
Kienja

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon
I e-mailed the guy who runs distrowatch.com and asked him to add links to DaemonForums on the BSD pages
Thank you very much! Distrowatch is actually one place we did not think of.
Old 24th May 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by kienjakenobi
Getting high up on the search results will be the #1 factor in determining the long-term success of these forums.
As of today, a google search for "bsd discussion forums" shows daemonforums as the third match. Great.

But a search for "bsd forums" still lands daemonforums many pages into the matches.

Just a thought:
Code:
<meta name="description" content="BSD discussion forums" />
could change to:
Code:
<meta name="description" content="BSD forums" />
Do you think it would help? (I know the situation will work itself out over a period of time; I just wonder if that could speed things up a small amount.)
Spam Deminer

I think the one angle that's not been considered (or perhaps I've missed it) is Google searches based on actual content (forum posts that address specific issues of interest to someone searching), instead of Google searches based on terms like "bsd" and "forums".

Example- so if someone googles for OpenBSD and VPN's, perhaps this site would pop up in the results referencing a guide someone recently published here about such an animal... and hopefully that result would be higher in the results than some other sites with the same relative amount of relative content, thus giving this site more exposure and hopefully as a result, driving more traffic here.

The way to enhance this is to generate and submit a sitemap to Google. It's part of their webmaster tools, which include other neato things to help bring up the popularity of this site without having to spend $$$ or have crazy Google Ad Sense ads. As they even instruct, when done automagically as part of a cron job, even the newest content on the site can be readily indexed in Google's monster brain, waiting for prospective new users of this site to pluck it.

If this has already been done, please forgive me for mentioning it. But if it hasn't, I can attest to the fact that it's pretty darn useful, and can drive more traffic here.

Last edited by ai-danno; 24th May 2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 24th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
As of today, a google search for "bsd discussion forums" shows daemonforums as the third match. Great.

But a search for "bsd forums" still lands daemonforums many pages into the matches.

Just a thought:
Code:
could change to:
Code:
Do you think it would help? (I know the situation will work itself out over a period of time; I just wonder if that could speed things up a small amount.)
Can't hurt to try I guess ... But content and sites linking to us are much, much, much more important.

Quote:
The way to enhance this is to generate and submit a sitemap to Google.
Already did that some time ago, sitemap is automatically updated to.
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
A posting on the PC-BSD forum would be appropriate
Can anyone find a forum rule on the pc-bsd forum that prohibits advertising of other forums?
Old 24th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Perhaps the best thing to do would be a quick PM to Charles (assuming he's still active in the forums and not too busy with the PCBSD work) or another moderator--I say Charles, because, at least when I frequented those forums he was one of the nicest people there.
If he says yes, do it, if he says no, then don't.

As for DesktopBSD forums, we are lucky enough to have one of their main people here, so I'm sure he can decide if it's appropriate or not.
Old 24th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
Can anyone find a forum rule on the pc-bsd forum that prohibits advertising of other forums?
There is already a thread:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11534
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
Just a thought:
Code:
could change to:
Code:
We can put both of them into the source code

Ironically, a search for "BSD discussion forums" shows the "other" forum at the ~40th rank . Looks like we now beat them fair and square
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Perhaps the best thing to do would be a quick PM to Charles (assuming he's still active in the forums and not too busy with the PCBSD work) or another moderator--I say Charles, because, at least when I frequented those forums he was one of the nicest people there.

I don't know why but I haven't seen Charles in a long long long time there, shame to because he was a nice guy.

Having recently been assigned the duty... I think I'm the only moderator who still checks the forums regulary, Antik used to be on a lot but have not seen him in ages either. Might be busy with BSD Certification or some thing.

When I have any thing serious about the forums I usually E-Mail Kris Moore or Tim McCormick (the two lead developers). If you guys asked them you could probably get a formal link to daemonforums somewhere on the website.

OT:

Antik (moderator), DrJ, Dracheflieger, and DragnLord are people I've always respected and looked up to as my superiors on the PC-BSD forums when it comes to knowledge. The kind of people you learn from when they post or reply to something rather technical.

Sadly DragnLord is the only one I still see around the forums regularly :-(

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 24th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

*blush* I've not posted there for years because I found some of the more-opinionated but ill-informed regulars (not you) to be rude. These all are only operating systems, and not something to fight over.