DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th March 2009
UnixUser

Default Switch linuxbase for porting software

I'm currently the mantainer of graphics/linux-ac3d port. My problem is that in the last ac3d version, the executable needs GLIBC 2.4, while the default fc4 linuxbase has 2.3.6 installed. I didn't find ports using newer (2.6.16) linuxbase ports, how this must be handled? Should I use the LINUX_BASE=f8 and OSRELEASE=2.6.16 options in the ports Makefile and switch linuxbase to f8 to test?

Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th March 2009
Tcpdump Spy

The best solution would be if the vendor would either statically compile the binary or supply the required shared libraries.

You can try requesting this, I suspect the request won't be answered ... I guess creating a new devel/linux-glibc2.4 is the best solution then (Surprised it doesn't already exists actually).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th March 2009
UnixUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
The best solution would be if the vendor would either statically compile the binary or supply the required shared libraries.

You can try requesting this, I suspect the request won't be answered ... I guess creating a new devel/linux-glibc2.4 is the best solution then (Surprised it doesn't already exists actually).
Thank you for your response!

1) Vendor does not actually support FreeBSD I think, but maybe I should ask for statically compiled binaries. I think this is not going to happen, like you say.

2) Linux LibC's are builtin on the linuxbase packages, of course. No devel/linux-glibc2.4 available...

3) I should try using linuxbase-fc8 and see what happens or take an example of a port requiring libc > 2.3.6, if I can find one (googleearth?)

Cheers.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th March 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Vendor does not actually support FreeBSD I think
This doesn't really matter, it will make things easier for Linux users too.

Quote:
2) Linux LibC's are builtin on the linuxbase packages, of course. No devel/linux-glibc2.4 available...
I know, but you can create one, as long as it doesn't conflict with the existing linux-base ports ...

Quote:
3) I should try using linuxbase-fc8 and see what happens or take an example of a port requiring libc > 2.3.6, if I can find one (googleearth?)
That's always a good idea, no need to reinvent the wheel.

However, running
% find /usr/ports -type d -and -name linux-\* -exec grep -H glibc "{}/Makefile" \;
Doesn't seem to turn up anything ...
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th March 2009
UnixUser

Solved Thanks! Port update committed.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2009
Tcpdump Spy

So newer linux base does have glibc 2.4? I am curious why setting LINUXBASE to f8 didn't work before then? i.e. What did you do to fix it?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2009
UnixUser

I manually installed Linuxbase-f8 and set osrelease sysctl to 2.6.16. Using this linuxbase, the port worked.

Actually, f8 has glibc 2.7.x I think.