DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 30th January 2014
Swen Tnavelerri

Here's a wild idea. Maybe if the downloader program is readily seen as such, it amounts to a not-quite-tacit informal agreement with Youtube? In such a case does it become an "OK, we'll let you do this, but we may put you on a slower channel" sort of thing? Who knows? Youtube is not my thing, so I've got no clues in this corner. Perhaps the UA was randomly chosen, and maybe it doesn't matter. I don't know what their policies are at Youtube. There may not even be any restrictions, other than for their own desires for load management. Can anyone chip in on this?

I do know they don't release software on New Year's Day. That's half of the uniqueness of the UA. The other half is "(Chrome)".

Last edited by censored; 30th January 2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 30th January 2014
OpenBSD language porter

I use the Firefox add-on Video DownloadHelper to download and then use mplayer (or vlc) to watch the video.

That way I don't have to leave my browser to get video; I usually use the HTML5 player (which works great on OpenBSD, btw) and only use Video DownloadHelper for those videos that don't have an HTML5 option.

As a benefit, it works in places other than YouTube.
Old 30th January 2014
More noise than signal

Here is a an update of x11/smtube to 1.8. Tested on i386.

[Edited to remove patch. Someone else already posted an update to ports@ as I was working on it, which has been approved (with minor changes).]

Last edited by jggimi; 30th January 2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Unnecessary patch.
Old 30th January 2014
OpenBSD language porter

For clarification, the smtube-1.8 diff hasn't been committed yet. So grab the diff off the mailing list for now.
Old 30th January 2014
Swen Tnavelerri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
I use the Firefox add-on Video DownloadHelper to download and then use mplayer (or vlc) to watch the video.

That way I don't have to leave my browser to get video; I usually use the HTML5 player (which works great on OpenBSD, btw) and only use Video DownloadHelper for those videos that don't have an HTML5 option.

As a benefit, it works in places other than YouTube.
Thanks for the info. Yeah - I usually use Chromium (and its built in VPx decoder). That means I can view about one in four movies and clips. Wonder why YouTube isn't converting to Webm enmasse, given that they own the platform now?

Another one of those things I can't quite factor out ....
Old 3rd February 2014
Port Guard

I highly recommend /www/minitube. I have been very successfully watching HD videos on here "some", and having a amazing viewing pleasure without crashes(so far).

Update:**After playing with the setting a while. For my hardware smtube does the job. With far less hicups at 720p. minitube just couldn't handle it.**

Last edited by chessmaster; 4th February 2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 4th February 2014
Port Guard

I would stay far away from gnash as possible. http://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2012-1175/
Old 4th February 2014
Semper deinceps corda

I will try the patch this weekend, thanks!
Old 11th March 2014
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yei0K View Post
I have the "youtube-dl", "zenity" and "vlc" packages installed and I am using a keyboard shortcut, "Mod4-y", that runs the following script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

xterm -e 'youtube-dl --no-part -f 18/0/h264-sd -o $HOME/video.vid `zenity --entry` & \
sleep 8 && vlc -f $HOME/video.vid vlc://quit; \
mv $HOME/video.vid $HOME/video.vid.old; \
pkill -n xterm & ksh'
Just for the archives, i improved the script a bit, so that it deletes video files after watching, and in case i quit playing the video before it is completely downloaded, i stop the download before deleting.

drm

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# needs zenity, youtube-dl and vlc installed

URL=$(zenity --entry --text "Enter Video URL:")
if [ "$URL" = "" ]; then
    echo "You must enter a url."
    exit
fi
TMPFILE=$(mktemp /tmp/youtube-vid.XXXXXX)
youtube-dl --no-part -f 18/0/h264-sd -o $TMPFILE "$URL" & 
DL_PID=$!
sleep 5
cvlc -f $TMPFILE vlc://quit
kill $DL_PID
rm $TMPFILE