Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th April 2019
Administrator

Default Technology cuts children off from adults, warns expert

From https://www.theguardian.com/society/...y-expert-warns
Quote:
One of the world’s foremost authorities on child mental health today warns that technology is threatening child development by disrupting the crucial learning relationship between adults and children.

Peter Fonagy, professor of Contemporary Psychoanalysis and Developmental Science at UCL, who has published more than 500 scientific papers and 19 books, warns that the digital world is reducing contact time between the generations – a development with potentially damaging consequences.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th April 2019
Package Pilot

And between adults too!
Find a distance between too much and not much.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2019
Fdisk Soldier

It is saddening sometimes to see children reach for their parents but they won't answer because facebook is more important.

Children need love and care from their parents. I am not sure what kind of people they will become while growing up with this kind of parents.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2019
Administrator

In my village I see young people riding their bicycles while holding and reading their smartphone. Also people walking their dogs while reading messages on their phone. I call them "smartphone zombies" ;-)

The article mentions the threatened "learning relationship" between adults and young. There are more examples of that.

One that I encountered is taking care of newborn babies: "bathing, changing diapers" etc. Today families are small. I am the firstborn of five children. I have seen how my mother took care of my younger siblings. When my mother was in the latest week of pregnancy of my youngest sister, she had a bleeding and was taken to the hospital. A few days later she needed a C-section.

When she came home it took quite a long time for her to recover. During that time and afterwards, I did a lot of diaper changing for my youngest sister. And sometimes things get so messy that you need to bathe the baby for a proper cleaning. My mother always said that probably I changed my sister's diapers more than she did.

So this is how I learned at young age how to take care of babies. My wife is from a family of eight, IIRC she was nr 3. So she also experienced, saw and learned from her mother how to take care of newborns.

When my daughter was born, the Dutch childcare visiting nurses, initially were quite astonished when we declined their offer to teach us newborn childcare. We had to explain why we did not need this.

With the modern small family size in the Western world this "learning experience" got lost.

BTW another thing I learned from my mother is not to wake up a newborn in the middle of the night to feed. When the baby cries at night and stops after a few minutes, just let her/him continue sleeping. Waking a baby up in the middle of the night to feed just makes the baby get accustomed to nightly feedings and will ruin the parent's night rest for many months.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2019
Package Pilot

Quote:
When my daughter was born, the Dutch childcare visiting nurses, initially were quite astonished when we declined their offer to teach us newborn childcare. We had to explain why we did not need this.
XP + freedom, land of Spinoza ahah!

Not only that, the society is changing, I notice most time: "All things right now, no time to wait", "Me first". There is a few less solidarity than before, more capitalism: sell, sell, sell. Michael MOORE leave my body ahah!