DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Exclamation OpenBSD 4.7 Released!

Officially, that is. Not all the FTP mirrors are carrying it yet, though.

Quote:
The OpenBSD project produces a FREE, multi-platform 4.4BSD-based UNIX-like operating system. Our efforts emphasize portability, standardization, correctness, proactive security and integrated cryptography. OpenBSD supports binary emulation of most programs from SVR4 (Solaris), FreeBSD, Linux, BSD/OS, SunOS and HP-UX.

OpenBSD is freely available from our FTP sites, and also available in an inexpensive 3-CD set.

The current release is OpenBSD 4.7 which was released May 19, 2010.

OpenBSD is developed entirely by volunteers. The project pays for the development environment and developer events by selling CDs through a collection of stores and by accepting donations from organizations and individuals. These finances ensure that OpenBSD will continue to exist, and will remain free for everyone to use and reuse as they see fit. T-shirts and posters are available as well, but do not fund the project.
Source: www.openbsd.org
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2010
Arp Constable

Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll skip my usual 4-6 week hold off for the shake down cruise, and just install this one .

It's the only OS, that I trust not to fuggle my headless server.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2010
Administrator

I personally urge each & every person who leaves OpenBSD 4.7 installed for any length of time to seriously consider supporting the project either by buying an official CD set or simply by contributing directly to the project. Information on monetary contributions can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/donations.html

Information on donating hardware (along with what hardware is needed...) can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/want.html

It is very easy to fall into the trap of convincing ourselves that "Hey, its an Open Source project. I can use it for free.", but this simply isn't true. Nothing is free. The developers are expending resources, whether it is time, talent, or altruism to continually improve a solid operating system. Hardware needs are also a reality. Paying for the electricity consumed is a reality. The project is small, & big corporations are not underwriting the costs. Who keeps the OpenBSD project going are those who buy the official CD set, posters, & to a lesser degree, t-shirts. Do your part to support good software design. Do your part & support OpenBSD.

Tags
4.7, openbsd, release