DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2009
New User

Exclamation Shared object not found 'libwrap.so.4'

Hello all,
I come begging for help as my freebsd 6.2 server has just crashed on me. It seems it had restarted itself around 9am today, and came back with 'unexpected soft update inconsistency' which I fixed by running fsck. It's now back up and running. However both sshd and inetd are both not working due to the following error:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libwrap.so.4" not found, required by "sshd"
and the same is said about "inetd"

locate libwrap shows it in /usr/lib. However I looked in that directory and it is not listed just the link libwrap.so -> libwrap.so.4

What is the easiest way to restore this file?

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Thanks,
Jay
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
locate libwrap shows it in /usr/lib.
Don't use locate(1) for this sort of thing, locate uses a database which is rebuild once a week (By default).
Use find(1) instead.

You can try if there is anything useful in the /usr/lost+found/ directory, the filename is probably garbled, check it's libwrap by using # objdump -x asfafasdf | grep SONAME.

If you can't find the file, you will need to reinstall it, from source:

Code:
cd /usr/src/lib/libwrap
cp libwrap.so.4 /usr/lib/
Or download the FreeBSD base distribution set, extract it, and get the libwrap.so.4 from that.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2009
New User

Thank you so much! It seems I'm back up and running, but still with a few hicups.

find was not able to find the file, and also it was not located in /usr/src/lib/libwrap. I used sysinstall to install all the src packages thinking this would place the file there. However it did not. Then I thought I would try to install Distributions->Base. And that seemed to do the trick. It did however overwrite /etc/passwd, master.passwd and groups. I'm worried about what else it could have done. =/ Will have to check around.

Thanks again for your help!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
It did however overwrite /etc/passwd, master.passwd and groups. I'm worried about what else it could have done.
It overwrote many files in /etc/ ... do and ls /etc/ and carefully inspect each file you modified to prevent suprises.