DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2009
Port Guard

Default Basic starter questions ???

I installed OpenBSD 4.6 but i have several basic questions...
1. How to update OpenBSD ? On FreeBSD i use freebsd-update fetch but on OpenBSD don't know command ?
2. Don't have ports. On FreeBSD i use portsnap but on OpenBSD don't know what to use ?
3. Wireless driver is installed but on laptop i have power on and off button but not react when pressed. On linux was long time ago i don't remember i use some command to on and off wireless card but on OpenBSD again don't know.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2009
Administrator

RE: Updating OpenBSD
You update OpenBSD by compiling source code. See http://www.openbsd.dk/stable.html

Re: ports
See http://www.openbsd.dk/faq/faq15.html

Re: wireless
I don't have any wireless gear. So somebody else has to fill you in on that
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennky View Post
How to update OpenBSD ?
Quote:
Wireless driver is installed but on laptop i have power on and off button but not react when pressed.
Most likely, any exposed button which puts the wireless chipset into some form of power-saving mode will not be functional in OpenBSD. Find out what wireless driver is installed in dmesg(8) output, & study the corresponding manpage. Studying the ifconfig(8) manpage & Section 6.13 would also be beneficial.

As a newcomer to OpenBSD, you will save yourself signficant time & aggravation if you take the time now to study the FAQ in its entirety.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2009
Port Guard

I get and extract port but how to update port with cvsup or something else ?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2009
Port Guard

Is there a way to patch system with cvsup and not work manually.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2009
Banned

The developers do not recommend that beginners (..like yourself) use the ports tree, compiled packages are made available for you.

Work has begun on bringing back stable package updates, but if you insist on using the ports tree directly.. please study the FAQ.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Is there a way to patch system with cvsup and not work manually.
If you are asking whether binary upgrades are available, the answer is no.

If you are asking something else, please elaborate.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2009
Port Guard

I think for this patch http://openbsd.org/errata46.html is there a way to patch this with cvsup or i must manual?
Sorry my mistake i think to update ports tree with cvsup because on ftp server is old ports.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
I get and extract port but how to update port with cvsup or something else ?
The OpenBSD project does not recommend building ports unless there are specific reasons for doing so. Building ports results in the creation of packages which are then installed. These packages are the very same as the packages already prebuild & available on the various mirror sites.

You were pointed yesterday to the pkg_add(1) manpage. There you will find information on the -u switch. Similar information can be found in Section 15.2.6

Those who compile ports themselves are expected to understand that updates will require updating the ports tree via CVSup or AnonCVS followed by rebuilding. Uninstalling the previous version may be required in some instances.

It would be truly worth your time to study Section 15 which covers the package system.
Old 5th December 2009
Banned

The ports tarball in pub/OpenBSD/4.6 includes whatever was available at the time of the release tagging, OPENBSD_4_6_BASE.

Security/stability updates for 4.6 (-STABLE) are currently only available in the CVS tree, up until recently stable ports had been discontinued, fortunately someone has stepped up and taken over the responsibility.. eventually updated packages will be made available on mirrors, but that's not ready yet.

Updating the base system is only possible via source, no binaries are made available for this.

Again, please study the FAQ.
Old 5th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
I think for this patch http://openbsd.org/errata46.html is there a way to patch this with cvsup or i must manual?
You have not provided any information as to whether you are running -release, -stable, or -current.
  • If you are running 4.6-release, you will need to follow the information found on errata page. Again, there is no mechanism available for binary updates via CVSup or AnonCVS.
  • If you are running 4.6-stable, you can update your local source via CVSup or AnonCVS, & rebuild as prescribed in Following -stable and Section 5 of the FAQ.
  • If you are running 4.6-current, update your local source tree via CVSup or AnonCVS, & follow the information previously mentioned in Section 5.
If you are unclear as to the differences between -release, -stable, or -current, study Section 5.1.
Quote:
Sorry my mistake i think to update ports tree with cvsup because on ftp server is old ports.
If you are running -release, the packages found on the mirrors are the most current. If you still have questions, specify exactly what directory & which mirror you believe has old packages.