DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
Freeman

Default C and FreeBSD

Hey
I looked around for some C programming forums, but they were mostly windows forums, are there any active and recommended ones for nix?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Your questions will typically fall into two categories. Language specific and OS specific. So I'd ask your language specific question in any C forum and OS specific here but when I really want a Unix guy, I use USENET. It's not unusual to find MIT guys and the like there. comp.unix.programmer though comp.lang.c is good, too.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
Banned

I personally recommend 2 resources...
As for 1 on 1 help, Some of us here have the relevant expertise.. look here.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
Banned

http://www.unix.org/version3/apis.html is also handy if you're attempting to write portable code, avoiding lock-in is a good thing.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

And if you're willing to spend a few bucks, pick up a copy of "Secure Programming Cookbook for C and C++" published by O'Reilly. It's one of the most worthwhile books I've ever purchased.

Generally speaking, if writing portable code is a concern, make friends with a build system. GNU's autoconf is especially popular, as is CMake

One of these days, somebody ought to document portability issues in detail (at the function/type/etc level) between common UNIX-like systems libc APIs. I'd probably be willing to help with such an effort.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
As for 1 on 1 help, Some of us here have the relevant expertise.. look here.
I either didn't know or forgot that was there. Glad you mentioned it.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2008
Freeman

mdh, references were going to be my next question, I'll check to see if there are any copies of "Secure Programming Cookbook for C and C++" available locally, if not is it worth ordering in?

BSDfan666, I didn't expect to find programming help on this site but that looks like a great place to start. The only problem is that it isn't an established programming forum and only has 66 post. Do you know of any forums like say code guru for nix?

drhowarddrfine, I haven't used usenet before, is that the same as mirc which I have only used briefly, or more like an email network group, and are they as good as forums such as these?

Last edited by FHW; 8th October 2008 at 03:52 AM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHW View Post
drhowarddrfine, I haven't used usenet before, is that the same as mirc
Like sand through the hourglass, so go the days of our lives. **sigh**
It's more like a forum such as this one.
Quote:
are they as good as forums such as these?
That's a loaded question. I've found them to be nice and helpful but I've seen some come down hard on "stupid" noob questions. Not that that should scare you away at all. Just remember that some of these people are pretty knowledgeable and/or well known.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2008
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Like sand through the hourglass, so go the days of our lives. **sigh**
It's more like a forum such as this one.

That's a loaded question. I've found them to be nice and helpful but I've seen some come down hard on "stupid" noob questions. Not that that should scare you away at all. Just remember that some of these people are pretty knowledgeable and/or well known.
ok, I guess the only way to find out is to give it try. Finding it wasn't that easy though, and there seems to be a thing called google groups with a comp.lang.c too: http://clusty.com/search?input-form=...g.c+%2B+usenet

Is usenet accessible with a browser?

also from more searching here:
http://www.eddie-meyer.com/docs/prog...c/c-index.html

the recommended forum seems to be:
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/

although it is always good to have more than one source, so how do I try the usenet?

Last edited by FHW; 8th October 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 8th October 2008
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Finding it wasn't that easy though, and there seems to be a thing called google groups with a comp.lang.c too ... so how do I try the usenet?
http://www.google.com/press/pressrel...release48.html

http://groups.google.com/support/bin...y?answer=46854
Old 8th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Quote:
mdh, references were going to be my next question, I'll check to see if there are any copies of "Secure Programming Cookbook for C and C++" available locally, if not is it worth ordering in?
Yes. Amazon has a free shipping deal for over $25, ora.com (the publisher, O'Reilly's website) is another good choice to order their books directly online, and there are countless other online retailers.

It's probably the best C-related book I've ever seen, though it isn't really a "beginner" book, you'll learn a lot from it at any experience level just from considering the concepts that are discussed. Once you are somewhat proficient in C, you'll actually understand the implementations.

Quote:
I haven't used usenet before, is that the same as mirc which I have only used briefly, or more like an email network group, and are they as good as forums such as these?
Depends. You need access to it somehow, and the content can vary between NNTP servers based on what feeds they link to. http://groups.google.com/ interfaces to usenet, and a lot of people use it. It's the only thing I can honestly suggest nowadays; ISPs used to provide NNTP servers which we could utilize via an NNTP client such as tin or seamonkey/thunderbird/netscape, but that practice is pretty much dead. There can be some good content on usenet, though, it isn't what it was in the early-mid 90's.

Also, mirc is a commercial windows program that connects to IRC, so its use in such a context isn't correct. That said, IRC can still be a good source of information if you find the right channels, which can be challenging.
Old 8th October 2008
Banned

There are no good IRC channels.
Old 8th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

As an interesting aside for historical purposes, Comcast only just shut down their Usenet service for customers this month. I guess nobody was really using it much, and a feed can use a pretty big hunk of bandwidth if you want to carry a lot of groups.
Old 8th October 2008
Arp Constable

Every ISP I've used had a usenet server, most still do. For something ISP independent, I've generally found aioe a suitable access point, but my only interests on usenet generally fall under reading comp.lang.* periodically.

One thing you might also check out is the lupg, depending on your level of experience it may be of help.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 9th October 2008
Freeman

ephemera, so usenet is Duke's and that GG is the only current entry point for usenet, hmmmmm.

mdh, I had no luck with the book at the moment at the local store although its title makes it sound tempting, so I have a mental note about it now. Its a shame about the google interface being the main entry point to usenet as I only use google as a last resort, prefering clusty or ask instead, but if the information is good maybe its worth the effort?

TerryP, aioe(usenet) looks like an alternative to the GG(usenet), so I'll give that a go too, although which is better GG or aioe? and the lupg looks good too, thanks.
Old 9th October 2008
Spam Deminer

I used to use free-agent on Windows98 for usenet.
too much memory temporarily in the dual-boot machine for Windows98
So the newsgroups I read, (news.astraweb.com paid) I read here,
one slrnpull.conf for each group, in its own subdirectory
which contains the group name, and the default numbers (for example
default 500 7 0
)
one .sh or .zsh which contains
slrnpull -d /[this folder] -h news.astraweb.com
and an authinfo file which contains username and password for news.astaweb.com
running the .zsh or .sh fetches the new messages which are put into
[here]/news/name/of/group
changing to /news/name/of