DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th May 2010
Port Guard

Default Text to speech (save to file) - text2wave broken

Hello!
It seems that the script text2wave bundled with festival is broken in FreeBSD 8.0.

The situation seems to have been constant for a few years already, as you can see from this thread: http://markmail.org/message/ltz57kxq...+state:results

What I want to do is read a text file, send it through a text-to-speech application and save the result to a file (no playback through the soundcard). The URL seen above seems to answer that question and I tried to paste the few lines of code contained in the last post into a script file and used festival to execute it, but it didn't work. I don't even know how to program a "Hello World" in Scheme so bear with me Therefore, maybe I wasn't using the script correctly.

Besides text2wave, is there an alternative that could do what I need?

Thank you!
Frank
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2010
Port Guard

Just found out espeak which will do the job for what I need.

I am still interested in getting text2wave to work on FreeBSD 8, though.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2010
Tcpdump Spy

I looked at it when you made your first post.
The first she-bang line was set wrong, it was an absolute path to the festival build directory instead if /usr/local/bin/festival
It still didn't work after I fixed that, I got some error from festival itself. Since I am not familiar with this program I wasn't able to fix it in a reasonable amount of time.

You can try asking the festival people, I suspect the number of people who have even a passing familiarity with festival on this forums are very few, if any at all.

The script had a copyright header from 1997. It may very well be an old relic that hasn't been working for years that nobody ever fixed or removed ...