DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2008
New User

Default Annoying blue config dialog

Hello!

There was a flag that used the default options when those blue config dialog appear while installing ports.

I'm using portupgrade and i just can't sit by my PC all the time and i forgot the flag. Read the manual page, and it just isn't there, or I'm blind.

If it isn't the same flag for the portupgrade and normal makeing can you please write both?

Thank you.
Regards, _hmp_
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Code:
make BATCH=yes install clean
The same goes with portupgrade but IMHO best way to upgrade ports is to do fresh installation of the whole thing. Somebody here was posting script which would enable you to quickly upload configuration files and install/configure ports. It is not difficult to write such a script anyway.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2008
Spam Deminer

When using portupgrade, you can also use the --batch option.

Adam
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd December 2008
Coffee Addict

You can also use the -c flag with portupgrade if you actually want to configure the OPTIONS before anything is built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
IMHO best way to upgrade ports is to do fresh installation of the whole thing.
I think it is a bit unnecessary to do this for most ports if you stay on top of things. If you let your ports go for a long time or are doing something like chasing a gettext shlib bump, then that would probably be the better option. I don't know why portupgrade has such a bad rap; when used correctly it is a very good ports management utility.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd December 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDKaffee View Post
You can also use the -c flag with portupgrade if you actually want to configure the OPTIONS before anything is built.

I think it is a bit unnecessary to do this for most ports if you stay on top of things. If you let your ports go for a long time or are doing something like chasing a gettext shlib bump, then that would probably be the better option. I don't know why portupgrade has such a bad rap; when used correctly it is a very good ports management utility.
Using portupgrade is fine for a system admin on the sever with two ports
installed who can not effort any down time.
Portupgrade on the desktop computer with 1000 applications and libraries installed is waist of time. It takes far more time to upgrade the port than to build from the scratch IMHO of course
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd December 2008
Risen from the ashes

Depends on whether you are doing it in a smart and efficient manner, or just blindly running -a every week.

Just because there is an update in the ports tree, doesn't mean you have to install it right away.

My home desktop/server hybrid has over 1000 ports installed, with a couple of hundred updates available every week, but I spend less than an hour a week doing port upgrades. Unless there's a major jump in version number, an known security issue shown via portaudit, or a specific feature that I really need ... I don't update installed apps.

Blindly running portupgrade -a every week, especially with --batch, is just asking for trouble, corrupted installs, and issues.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th December 2008
UNIX lover

And if you're using ccache you can compensate a lot of the 'down-time' ;-)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th December 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Using portupgrade is fine for a system admin on the sever with two ports
installed who can not effort any down time.
Portupgrade on the desktop computer with 1000 applications and libraries installed is waist of time. It takes far more time to upgrade the port than to build from the scratch IMHO of course
Upgrading the port using portupgrade/portmaster/et all is essentially the same as "building from scratch"... so really, your argument makes no sense in this case. These tools compile the port from source, the same as you would by "cd /usr/ports/xxx/xxx && make install clean"...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th December 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman4life View Post
Upgrading the port using portupgrade/portmaster/et all is essentially the same as "building from scratch"... so really, your argument makes no sense in this case. These tools compile the port from source, the same as you would by "cd /usr/ports/xxx/xxx && make install clean"...
No it is not It is far more complicated than that. It seems that other FreeBSD users are lot more aware of it
and you didn't sound so confident in this thread
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread...=4827#post4827

By the way, my religious affiliation is Christianity while yours seems to be FreeBSD It is a very,very good operating system but it is not a religion even if you are making living out of it.

Last edited by Oko; 26th December 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 27th December 2008
UNIX lover

Well oko, but it's better than this sorry-state of ports in OpenBSD ;-) It's okay for the usual ports in life, but most of the time I need more than that
Old 27th December 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
Well oko, but it's better than this sorry-state of ports in OpenBSD ;-) It's okay for the usual ports in life, but most of the time I need more than that
I agree 95% You have to give 5% to OpenBSD ports being able to compile to so many different architectures while FreeBSD in practical sense supports only i386 and AMD64 for now. OpenBSD ports will remain in that state until more people gets involved. People who are hacking them are very, very competent but there is just too few of them.

I was also playing quite a bit lately with Linux binaries on OpenBSD. Not just Skype but with Epkowa and Maple. The Linux compatibility layer will at this point require some kernel hacking to be of any serious use. I hope Linux
compatibility layer in FreeBSD is in better state.

As I said my religious affiliation is Christianity.

Last edited by Oko; 27th December 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 28th December 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
No it is not It is far more complicated than that. It seems that other FreeBSD users are lot more aware of it
and you didn't sound so confident in this thread
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread...=4827#post4827

By the way, my religious affiliation is Christianity while yours seems to be FreeBSD It is a very,very good operating system but it is not a religion even if you are making living out of it.
The other thread you pointed to has nothing to do with this thread, it had to do with re-building all your installed ports after a major version upgrade. I must have also missed the part where I didn't sound so confident... I said the method the 2nd poster listed for rebuilding only necessary ports (that would be affected by a major version upgrade) rather than all ports looked like a good method, and I would try it after a major version update. There was no lack of confidence

I agree that FreeBSD is a good operating system, but I'm not religious about it. I try to help others, and I try to get help from others when I require it. Sometimes people post less than factual statements, which I try to correct, but that doesn't mean I'm religious about FreeBSD. I correct people on a lot of things, mostly grammatical errors, so I guess I'm religious about correcting

I don't make a living from FreeBSD, though I wish I did. I work mostly with Solaris/HP-UX/AIX at work.